Veloflex Arenberg&Carbon Combo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tomyboy123

by tomyboy123

I'm planning to buy my first Veloflex(Arenberg) and did come across a little problem.
When I tested if S-Works Turbo (26.2mm) will fit, there is only 1mm of clearance on top of the front fork. On the rear there is plenty of space.
Arenberg is probably running around 25mm, but still too close to my conforte.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/60981744@N08/30150913152/

So I was thinking, getting 23mm Carbon for the front and Arenberg 25mm for the back.
Is anyone riding this combination?
Will there be really any difference in feeling, or bike handling, riding two different models?
Would like to ride wider tire on the back, for longer life span and better picture protection.

1415chris

by 1415chris

One of the tubs' sets in my use. I would be struggling to notice the difference up front between Carbon and Arenberg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

i mostly ride that combination, the arenberg gives noticeably better rear traction, handy for hard braking, and there's a slightly plusher ride with the lower rear pressure

not sure there's much in it regards puncture resistance, the construction is the same, on wet roads both cut easily, overall i'd say i get more punctures in the rear arenberg than the front carbon, perhaps due to the increased contact area

tufo extreme works well for fixing flats up to 2-3 mm, if the tyre is new i tend to remove/repair, but if it's worn i'll use sealant to run it until time to replace

tomyboy123

by tomyboy123

Thanks for the replay. :thumbup:
As I hoped, no mayer difference between the models regarding road feel.
Will be using more Latex friendly sealant without ammonium, like Conti Revo, Stans, Schwalbe, etc.
Tufo extreme is great, but using it with latex, it is not recommended. Of Course, only if you are using it as one time fix, just to get home.

23mm Carbon on the rear, will probably ware out little faster than 25mm Arenberg, or this is wrong thinking? :noidea:

I know is more like lottery, you can puncture first 500m on a new tire, but any way...
Are there any mayer issues with this two models, compared to, let say Competition, regarding puncture protection?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The Arrenberg and the Carbon are the same tire except for size. I prefer to use the same size tires both front and rear. But nothing bad is going to happen if you run a 25 on the back and a 23 on the front. I just like the two to look the same. Since you're limited to a 23 on the front I would also use that on the back. Have a spare or two lying around so if you flat you can use the spares on either wheel, not worrying about... "Damn, I just flatted the front but I've only got a 25 spare for the back". The rear will always wear faster as it has more weight on it. I feel the Veloflex are pretty durable, but any tire will puncture if you run over the right object. I will say that I think Vittorias are the worst for just cutting up during normal rides. Although I haven't tried, and probably won't, the newer Graphene models. My favorite wet weather winter tire are the Continental Competitions. I just really like the rubber compound in cold wet weather and the dotted tread. But I hate mounting the things. And for taking along a spare I will take a Veloflex and not a Competition simply because I can't imagine trying to mount a Competition with cold wet hands that hasn't been stretching on a rim solidly for about two weeks. :).
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I used the new Vitts speed g+ in the damp.... white knuckle moments on descents.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

tomyboy123

by tomyboy123

Colnago you are making a fair point.. :thumbup:

I just bought new S-works Turbo 26mm for this bike, but I guess I will have to use them on the other, disk setup.
Now I will have to bite the bullet, for another expensive pair of Tubulars. :unbelievable:
Both will be used strictly in the summer and dry conditions.
God thing about this, I would "kill two birds with one stone", seeing how two tubulars, from different manufacturers compare, regarding tire ware and puncture protection.
The performance is not in question, those two models are probably right there on top.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

I use an Arenberg/Carbon combo on 1 wheelset, and a Carbon/Extreme combo on another...works for me.

sungod

by sungod

tomyboy123 wrote:Thanks for the replay. :thumbup:
As I hoped, no mayer difference between the models regarding road feel.
Will be using more Latex friendly sealant without ammonium, like Conti Revo, Stans, Schwalbe, etc.
Tufo extreme is great, but using it with latex, it is not recommended. Of Course, only if you are using it as one time fix, just to get home.

23mm Carbon on the rear, will probably ware out little faster than 25mm Arenberg, or this is wrong thinking? :noidea:

I know is more like lottery, you can puncture first 500m on a new tire, but any way...
Are there any mayer issues with this two models, compared to, let say Competition, regarding puncture protection?

don't worry about using tufo with veloflex, i've used it for c. 4 years, it's absolutely fine, the point of a sealant is to seal and tufo extreme is very good at this (unlike some othes i've tried!)

having said that, i've just got some orange seal as there've been several reports that it works even better, and it has the advantage that you can get a large bottle to refill a small one that you carry on rides

yes, carbon will wear faster than arenberg

btw for a spare i carry a lightweight tufo tub, folds up nearly as small as an inner tube

tomyboy123

by tomyboy123

sungod Thanks.
Isn't Tufo Extreme to aggressive? If you are planning to use this tubular, wouldn't it glue together latex tube and ammonium will dissolve latex over time?
I used to carry around 120g Tufo model, but I sold it to my friend, when I switch to clinchers, big mistake...:roll:

I also read some good review regarding orang seal, but big EU stores doesn't sell it

sungod

by sungod

tomyboy123 wrote:sungod Thanks.
Isn't Tufo Extreme to aggressive? If you are planning to use this tubular, wouldn't it glue together latex tube and ammonium will dissolve latex over time?
I used to carry around 120g Tufo model, but I sold it to my friend, when I switch to clinchers, big mistake...:roll:

I also read some good review regarding orang seal, but big EU stores doesn't sell it

if the inner tube is allowed to deflate and collapse, any sealant could bond it, once a tube has sealant in do not let it go flat

not sure if there is ammonia in tufo, it doesn't really smell of ammonia, if there is some i think it must be a small amount as ammonia has such a pungent smell

i get about 3-4 repairs from a bottle of tufo extreme, if there is any ammonia the volume would be tiny wrt to the bulk of the latex tube

it's not hurt my tubs, the latex certainly doesn't dissolve, i had one that got multiple shots of sealant for months as i decided to see how long i could run it, by the end it was worn thin and had loads of really bad cuts, then i opened it to see what was inside, the tube was fine, it just had many lumps of sealant in it!

fwiw i got orange seal from tredz.co.uk as their price was best i found at the time, if you aren't in uk the shipping cost may be a factor, you can get a 5 pound voucher code if you register for their newsletter, but you have to spend 30 to use it

tomyboy123

by tomyboy123

Thanks for all the information. :beerchug:
I found it, 10 EUR shipping. Will have this in mind and maybe order with some other items:
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orange-Seal-Sealant_90093.htm

Did have a flat on my tufo 21mm last month and put in Schwalbe(Stan), which didn't do anything. Than I put Tufo Extreme and vuala.
Tire is still holding air. I guess I'll stick to this procedure with latex to, no harm done, if tire would be for trash anyway, right... :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com