Campagnolo front mech compatibilty pre 2015

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

Im running a Chorus front mech with an Athena shifter Pre 2015. The chain is rubbing on the inside plate of the cage when on the big ring, on the four largest sprockets. The shifter is one click down so trimming isnt possible. Would an Athena front mech work any better? I'm wondering if it has a wide cage or something different.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

No an Athena FD won't help. Setting up a FD just right can be quite fiddly. The height, alignment, stops, and cable tension all have to be just right. An inline cable adjuster would help in setup after checking everything.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilwil

by wilwil

bikerjulio wrote:No an Athena FD won't help. Setting up a FD just right can be quite fiddly. The height, alignment, stops, and cable tension all have to be just right. An inline cable adjuster would help in setup after checking everything.

I build a lot of bikes with Campagnolo but this one has me foxed. I have an inline cable adjuster, although I used to run 11s Record okay on this frame without one. Do all Athena shifters have the one click large to small shift or was it one particular generation?

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

wilwil wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:No an Athena FD won't help. Setting up a FD just right can be quite fiddly. The height, alignment, stops, and cable tension all have to be just right. An inline cable adjuster would help in setup after checking everything.

I build a lot of bikes with Campagnolo but this one has me foxed. I have an inline cable adjuster, although I used to run 11s Record okay on this frame without one. Do all Athena shifters have the one click large to small shift or was it one particular generation?

BikerJulio's advice is good.

All the later 10s generations (Centaur & Veloce post 2012) and all the 11s groups, when correctly assembled with a compatible Campagnolo chainset, Campagnolo chain, rivetted, not quick-linked on a compatible frame, will run big ring to all the sprockets (provided the cassette is correctly placed relative to the dropout and in a compatible tooth combination) without chain rub across the full width of the cassette.

If the bike previously ran Record with no issues, there should be no problem in setting up the Chorus FD with the Athena lever, although Campagnolo do not recommend the combination (the PowerShift internal is not well suited to the increased spring tension used in the Chorus RD, if you are running a Chorus RD).

I'd suggest returning to first principles, wind both limit screws out, detach the gear cable, set the correct height and inclination (tool UT-FD020 is helpful here), set the low limit screw correctly, then attach and tension the gear cable so that you have 3 clicks from small ring to big. Then set the outer limit screw so that when the lever is pushed all the way across, you have maybe 1/2 mm of "overshift" available - the FD should come "back" that 1/2 mm post-shift, leaving approx 1/2 - 1 mm gap down the outside of the chain, to the outer cage plate.

If the cassette at the rear is on a Mavic wheel, or any other that places the cassette inboard of where a Campagnolo wheel does, you may need to space it out a mm or so before doing the set-up.

Check too that the gear tunnels (if present) are tight to the BB shell and that initial cable tension is neither compressing them flat to the shell, or turning them slightly.

HTH
Graeme
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!