Problem shifting Campy 11

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shampoo

by shampoo

Hi

I have this problem shifting a Campy 11 that I cannot seem to rid of.

These are Campy Record 11 speed (pre 2015) shifters with a Campy Chrorus rear derailleur.

Here is what is happening:

1) When the chain is at the middle of the cassette when I shift up the cassette, the shift lever clicks, the rear derailleur moves, but the chain does not move. I have to move the shift lever just slightly to get the chain to move up.
2) If I shift and I hold the lever in place waiting for the chain all is OK. So move the lever, hear the click, wait for chain to move, then release. This is different from just moving the lever, hearing the click and letting go. But not exactly ideal..

What have I done to try and fix this:

1) Replaced cables and housing twice.
2) Changed the chain
3) Swapped cassettes
4) Changed frame (it had cracked so I got a new one)

The only thing I haven't changed are the levers themselves..

What I have noticed is that when I move the lever and hear the click and let go, I can actually see the derailleur move slightly back down again. I suspect it's this slight move down as the cable loses tension that is causing the chain to not move up the cassette. If I hold the lever, this gives the chain time to move up.

Any ideas what's going on ?

One option is to just replace the levers. But since this is pre 2015, my understanding is I will need new levers and a new rear derailleur.

BTW, these levers always did this.. Going on 4 years now. It's just now that I got fed up with it.

Thanks!

J

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

More cable tension? Have you checked the gear drop?

shampoo

by shampoo

Attermann wrote:More cable tension? Have you checked the gear drop?

Definitely checked cable tension. What is gear drop ?

J

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Did you try increasing the cable tension. Like 1/4 turn at a time?

IDK what gear drop is either. Perhaps a translation?

Next check would be the most common issue out there - RD hanger alignment. Done with a proper tool.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Cable tension is my first thought. As bikerjulio says double check the RD hanger.

I think Attermann is meaning the distance between the upper pulley and the sprockets. Try and move it closer using the B-screw.

@shampoo
Are you maybe trying to be too deliberate while shifting? I just push the lever through the click and then release when there's slight resistance from the next click.
The RD will overshift but then the cable tension and the upper puller aligns the chain.

Also is the frame internal cabling and any sharp bends?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

1) make sure the high limit derailleur stop is set right and the cable tension begins where it should. If that is wrong to begin with then by the time the derailleur gets into the middle range of the cassette (where stuff like this most likely to occur), it can be off enough to do that.
2)I'm assuming the cassette and/or chain is/are in good shape. Either, if worn, could be the culprit.
3) If you're using the outside cable routing from the levers themselves, pull back the rubber hoods to make sure the derailleur cable is not starting to fray. Also, again I'm assuming the derailleur housing cables are Campy, cut square, and fully seated in the hoods properly.
4) And just make sure the general stuff is in good shape. Smooth bends etc. If the cables are external make sure they'd aren't all gunked up at the BB guide, either with dirt or dried sports drink (the worst).
4) And then, as 585 said, are you "overahifting" at all when this occurs, or pressing so softly and lightly so as to barely even get to the "click" before releasing. I get that as soon as you hear that click you kind of expect the shift to happen but if everything else isn't perfectly set up, a little "help" with a slight momentary overshift might be required.
5) is the rear derailleur loop big enough and not too short?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

shampoo

by shampoo

Thanks so much for the replies.

It was a combination of cassette and cable.

I had changed the cable, and when that didn't fix the problem, I went after the cassette. But in the meantime, the cable had either slipped, stretched or wasn't setup. I just popped it into the highest gear (the 12) and realized the cable was very slack. Fixed that, got on the rollers and so far all appears to be working great. I will do a workout this weekend and really test it.

Thanks everyone !

J

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

Actually i meant the hanger, just couldn't remember the proper english name :D