Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:38 am
Posts: 14
I just bought an S-Works Tarmac SL3 50cm to race on next season. The goal is to get it down to 6.8-7.0kg with an aluminium stem and bars installed. Should be possible.

Parts:

Seatpost: Bontrager XXX - 170g
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow - 128g
Bars: Zipp Service Course SL 38cm - 250g
Stem: Zipp Service Course SL 110mm - 125g
Wheels: Fast Forward F4R DT240s - 1325g including quick releases
Tubes: Have not decided yet
Frame: S-Works Tarmac SL3 (50cm) - 1050g
Fork: S-Works SL3 fork - 380g
Groupset: Ultegra 6800 w/ 14-28 cassette (including cables) - 2519g
Bar tape: Lizard Skins 1.8mm including bar ends - 55g
Bottle cages: Tune Wasserträger 2.0 2x - 28g
Pedals: Dura Ace pedals - 250g
Garmin mount: 28g
Headset: Cane Creek Carbon Headset - 115g
Fork Expander - 45g

Weight: 6.468kg without tubes on. Which tubes would you recommend for racing? I ride Vittoria Corsa G+ clinchers now and was looking at the same option as tubular (265g per tire). Bike would weigh in at 6.998kg with those tires.


Attachments:
File comment: Seatpost wasn't replaced yet on this picture
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG [ 36.34 KiB | Viewed 2029 times ]


Last edited by lemkeg on Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:29 pm
Posts: 502
Location: patra greece
No way frame weight is more than 830 gr s works 52 is 1052g

in watt mode

_________________
πατα τραβα ρε


Top
   
Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:09 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:45 am
Posts: 583
Yeah, the frame isn't 850, probably more like 1050, but that still leaves 400g to find, which I can't, looking through your list, which seems correct. Are you sure your 'big' scales are correct? 7kg sounds about right to me.

_________________
5 star and bespoke cycle tours in Majorca

Cycling related videos and reviews


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:58 pm
Posts: 215
Location: Istanbul, TR
Did you weigh all of these or are they factory weights? Also missing in the list: quick releases and cables.

_________________
Amaro Loren
Colnago C60 -Done and dusted-
Cannondale SuperSix Evo -Sold-


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:38 am
Posts: 14
cyclespeed wrote:
Yeah, the frame isn't 850, probably more like 1050, but that still leaves 400g to find, which I can't, looking through your list, which seems correct. Are you sure your 'big' scales are correct? 7kg sounds about right to me.
Weighed in the bike shop on a Park Tool scale. 1050 sounds about right for the frame. 850 was something I found somewhere on the internet.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:38 am
Posts: 14
Sleepless wrote:
Did you weigh all of these or are they factory weights? Also missing in the list: quick releases and cables.

I weighed some of the parts myself (saddle, seatpost, wheels, tires, inner tubes) the rest are factory weights. Quick releases are included in wheel weight and I think the cables are included in the weight for the total groupset.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:21 pm
Posts: 340
Groupset weight doesn't include cables and housing.

Typical cables n housing 200g thereabouts.

SL3 sworks frame should be around 1kg. Despite being branded sworks, it's not the lightest, if you compare to other brands. For equivalent vintage, the evo hi mod is definitely lighter.

U should be able to hit 6.8kg easily with some modifications

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

_________________
My Tarmac SL3 http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136991


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:45 am
Posts: 583
lemkeg wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:
Yeah, the frame isn't 850, probably more like 1050, but that still leaves 400g to find, which I can't, looking through your list, which seems correct. Are you sure your 'big' scales are correct? 7kg sounds about right to me.
Weighed in the bike shop on a Park Tool scale. 1050 sounds about right for the frame. 850 was something I found somewhere on the internet.


I would check it on another scale if I were you. Don't you have a scale for weighing people at home?

_________________
5 star and bespoke cycle tours in Majorca

Cycling related videos and reviews


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:36 am
Posts: 1353
Location: UK
lemkeg wrote:
Sleepless wrote:
Did you weigh all of these or are they factory weights? Also missing in the list: quick releases and cables.

I weighed some of the parts myself (saddle, seatpost, wheels, tires, inner tubes) the rest are factory weights. Quick releases are included in wheel weight and I think the cables are included in the weight for the total groupset.


Are you sure about the wheel weight including quick releases? Vittoria list them at 1576g for the pair. Normally listed wheel weights don't include rim tape (if required) and quick releases.
You've listed them at 1576 bang-on manufacturers claimed weight?

Fork expander isn't listed - they can be 30-40g, and topcap and bolt.

Basically you need to weigh every single part to find the discrepancies.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:39 pm
Posts: 1064
5 8 5 wrote:
lemkeg wrote:
Sleepless wrote:
Did you weigh all of these or are they factory weights? Also missing in the list: quick releases and cables.

I weighed some of the parts myself (saddle, seatpost, wheels, tires, inner tubes) the rest are factory weights. Quick releases are included in wheel weight and I think the cables are included in the weight for the total groupset.


Are you sure about the wheel weight including quick releases? Vittoria list them at 1576g for the pair. Normally listed wheel weights don't include rim tape (if required) and quick releases.
You've listed them at 1576 bang-on manufacturers claimed weight?

Fork expander isn't listed - they can be 30-40g, and topcap and bolt.

Basically you need to weigh every single part to find the discrepancies.


its really amazing how much the little parts add up to be...like the expander and top caps...bar ends, handlebar tape, etc.

_________________
- AX Lightness Vial EVO D + DA9070 + Enve SES 3.4 carbon hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 carbon hubs
- Parlee ESX + DA9070 + THM SRM PM + Enve SES 6.7 CK hubs
- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + Campy SR11 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:38 am
Posts: 14
Think I've got it right now.


Seatpost: 3T Stylus 0 Team Carbon Seatpost - 195g
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow - 132g
Bars: Zipp Service Course SL 38cm - 250g
Stem: Zipp Service Course SL 110mm + top cap/bolt - 142g
Wheels: Vittoria Elusion Nero Ceramic + skewers - 1700g
Tires: Vittoria Corsa G+ clincher - 257g x 2
Inner tubes: Vittoria Latex - 69g x 2
Frame: S-Works Tarmac SL3 (50cm) - 1050g
Fork: S-Works SL3 fork - 380g
Groupset: Ultegra 6800 w/ 14-28 cassette + cables and housings - 2540g
Bar tape: Lizard Skins 1.8mm + bar ends - 60g
Bottle cages: Elite plastic cage 30g. Ordered some Tune Wasserträger 2.0's at 9g a piece
Pedals: Dura Ace pedals - 250g
Garmin mount: 34g
Headset: Cane Creek Carbon Headset - +/- 115g
Fork expander - 40g

Total Weight: 7.570kg / Weighed on person scale: 7.5kg, so that's about right.

What would you recommend for getting the bike down to 6.8-7.0kg? Still need some new racing wheels. Prefer to race with aluminium cockpit and think the Zipp cockpit is pretty light.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:45 am
Posts: 583
lemkeg wrote:

What would you recommend for getting the bike down to 6.8-7.0kg?


Tubs!

_________________
5 star and bespoke cycle tours in Majorca

Cycling related videos and reviews


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:38 am
Posts: 14
cyclespeed wrote:
lemkeg wrote:

What would you recommend for getting the bike down to 6.8-7.0kg?


Tubs!


Now looking at FFWD F3R 30mm (1220g), 9th Wave Road-TSL50 50mm (1198g) and the FFWD DT180 Special 45mm (1200g). All tubular wheelsets. The 9th Wave wheels look like the best option to me; lowest in weight and price, and highest in rim depth. Have to decide on one wheelset that is suitable for racing in the mountains and on the flat.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:45 pm 
Offline
Shop Owner

Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:58 am
Posts: 815
My 58cm SW SL3 weighs just under 1kg. Maybe it was built on a good day or just the matte paint.

I really do not believe that Specialized ever put their efforts on a light bike. It would be interesting what they could come up with.


Top
   
Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:45 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:38 am
Posts: 14
Updated parts list:

Seatpost: Bontrager XXX - 170g
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow - 128g
Bars: Zipp Service Course SL 38cm - 250g
Stem: Zipp Service Course SL 110mm - 125g
Wheels: Fast Forward F4R DT240s - 1325g including quick releases
Tubes: Have not decided yet
Frame: S-Works Tarmac SL3 (50cm) - 1050g
Fork: S-Works SL3 fork - 380g
Groupset: Ultegra 6800 w/ 14-28 cassette (including cables) - 2519g
Bar tape: Lizard Skins 1.8mm including bar ends - 55g
Bottle cages: Tune Wasserträger 2.0 2x - 28g
Pedals: Dura Ace pedals - 250g
Garmin mount: 28g
Headset: Cane Creek Carbon Headset - 115g
Fork Expander - 45g

Weight: 6.468kg without tubes on. Which tubes would you recommend for racing? I ride Vittoria Corsa G+ clinchers now and was looking at the same option as tubular (265g per tire). Bike would weigh in at 6.998kg with those tires on.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

TonyM

33

7158

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:38 pm

TonyM View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. S Works Tarmac or Scott Foil

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

sweetmate

28

3281

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:41 pm

TurboKoo View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Tune Gum Gum in an S-Works Tarmac fork

in Road

morganb

1

240

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:10 pm

4ibanez View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2018 S-Works Tarmac Sizing 49cm Vs 52cm

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

pesto13

22

1599

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:17 pm

oraclesin View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. handlebars S-Works Aerofly Carbon 25MM rise on tarmac sl6 ?

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

dedobike

16

1253

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:03 pm

cDaero View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alcatraz, nestornnk, the jackel and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited