New Extralite carbon frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Does anyone have any info on the new Extralite carbon frame? I saw a picture of it - 596g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Ouf !

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Martin.F wrote:Does anyone have any info on the new Extralite carbon frame? I saw a picture of it - 596g

No I don't but would certainly like to
BB

Coffee & carbon

Gehenna

by Gehenna

While that is strikingly impressive, such a low weight would be disconcerting to someone so bad at descending like me. No point in enjoying the climb if i'm gonna fear for my life on the other side of the mountain. In other news, it appears their super-lite allow clincher set is on sale for only 820 euros! Damn good deal for a sub 1300g set!

RussellS

by RussellS

Gehenna wrote:No point in enjoying the climb if i'm gonna fear for my life on the other side of the mountain.

Why? Don't know much about Extralite, but I am guessing they did a few tests of the frame and materials to be sure it can handle normal biking activity. Eddy Merckx rode on bikes that weighed in the low 20 pounds. Pros now use bikes that weigh 14.5 pounds. One third less! I did not see dozens of pros die during the Tour descending with such lightweight bikes. AX Light makes clincher wheels that weigh around 1000 grams. You mentioned Extralite clinchers that weigh 1300 grams. One third less! Are people dieing on these unsafe AX wheels?

RussellS

by RussellS

External cable routing? Looks like they did not put any finish at all on it for these pictures. Wonder if it will be sold with no finish?

stockae92

by stockae92

I for one enjoy seeing massive BB area, and sub 600g is getting into scary light category :)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Please no ISP.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I like... I wish it had direct mounts brakes though
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

beanbiken

by beanbiken

prendrefeu wrote:Please no ISP.

Totally agree. That would potentially exclude me as a purchaser.........

But would like to see internal cabling..........
BB

Coffee & carbon

Gehenna

by Gehenna

RussellS wrote:
Gehenna wrote:No point in enjoying the climb if i'm gonna fear for my life on the other side of the mountain.

Why? Don't know much about Extralite, but I am guessing they did a few tests of the frame and materials to be sure it can handle normal biking activity. Eddy Merckx rode on bikes that weighed in the low 20 pounds. Pros now use bikes that weigh 14.5 pounds. One third less! I did not see dozens of pros die during the Tour descending with such lightweight bikes. AX Light makes clincher wheels that weigh around 1000 grams. You mentioned Extralite clinchers that weigh 1300 grams. One third less! Are people dieing on these unsafe AX wheels?
Where in my post did i say people were dying? I said it would be disconcerting, not dangerous. I obviously have 0 experience with this frame and have no idea how it would ride, but if you're going to make bs comparisons, keep in mind i'm no where near pro level. I don't have the experience or the will to do the borderline suicidal (especially when we have had a few deaths this year in the peloton) stuff that those guys are capable of. The advances you see in bikes today against Merckx's own were the product of 40 years of advancement. The industry standard for a super-light frame is around 740 grams. Thats a 140 gram, or a near 20% decrease in frame weight, quite a difference to jump into expecting the same level of reliability. When the most obvious place to make sacrifices to attain such a low weight is ride quality, my worries become more than justified, more so when no tests have been released yet. Obviously this is a brand new product and info will be scarce until Extralite is ready to release it, but until then (assuming everything checks out ok when the time comes), i'll be happily cautious.

donald

by donald

the weight is probably without front and rear derailleur hangers.

uraqt

by uraqt

I think Extralite deserves the benefit of doubt. While expensive the majority of their products are cutting edge and reasonably durable. I can't believe that they would enter the frame market without doing their homework.

C

RussellS

by RussellS

Gehenna wrote:
RussellS wrote:

Where in my post did i say people were dying? I said it would be disconcerting, not dangerous.

Your original quote was "fear for my life". An English speaker would consider that "dying".

At dictionary.com the definition of disconcerting is: disturbing to one's composure or self-possession; upsetting, discomfiting.
At dictionary.com the definition of dangerous is: full of danger or risk; causing danger; perilous; risky; hazardous; unsafe, able or likely to cause physical injury.

I'd say dying and fear for life fits the definition of dangerous better than disconcerting.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Sub 1000 Euros I hear?

Just trolling

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com