Bike lights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

This bright light is for positioning only. It's about one us dollar each, has 5 smd diodes and is rechargeable using usb. (Lithium battery). It's also quite weight weenie conforming with it's 17 grams. I have a white one on the handlebar and a red one on the seatpost. Very streamlined and easy to use.

I can't imagine it's very good in the rain but they are cheap so just replace them if they go bad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerdan

by bikerdan

They're expensive but I would go for an exposure light. They are bombproof, light and have excellent run times. Also have piggy back battery system to double burn times.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

salesguy

by salesguy

While at the extreme end of expensive, I have the new Lupine Betty front light and it's amazing. I find myself looking forward to dark rides just to see how insanely bright it is. Similar light quality and amount to my Lexus. Turns night into day.

sawyer

by sawyer

Good experience with Lezyne here ... you will need at least the 900 lumen model to "see" but for being seen the smaller ones are fine
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

mattr

by mattr

sawyer wrote:Good experience with Lezyne here ... you will need at least the 900 lumen model to "see" but for being seen the smaller ones are fine
:lol: You need to take your shades off when riding at night......... :wink:

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

mattr wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:What is the thing with lights is probably the battery pack.

Anything with a battery back is by definition, overkill.

It'll be an essentially daylight tour, probably around easter IIRC, to catch the good wind direction. Or later in the year to get the daylight.
It'll also probably be hostels or BnB (?) so recharging overnight is easy if the lights do get used.

And personally speaking, i'd avoid knog like the plague, everything i've had from them has failed at an inopportune moment.

I have only used this light, and to be honest, i think it's needed when it turns dark really quick.
I like to see where i ride to avoid accidents.
Sure, battery packs come with weight.
But i atleast see where i ride and when cars do appear, they for sure see me.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

kode54

by kode54

salesguy wrote:While at the extreme end of expensive, I have the new Lupine Betty front light and it's amazing. I find myself looking forward to dark rides just to see how insanely bright it is. Similar light quality and amount to my Lexus. Turns night into day.

yes, although i have issues with the beam pattern. i only wish that they would make a lens that will behave more like car lights. i don't have the latest Betty...but an older model that puts out 3,600 lumens. insanely bright but probably better for mtb riding. i have been using the Lupine Piko latest version with 1,700 lumens which is bright enough...and recently got the Rotlicht tail light which i like a lot. i've tried several different tail lights...but the Lupine one has been my favorite. i like the saddle rail mount and how easy it is to swap between bikes. also has an accelerometer when you slow down...goes from blinking to solid red like a car.

oh, and the Piko light is small and doesn't weigh much. i choose the battery packs depending on how long and how dark my ride is. i switch from bright on the back roads and fast downhills to medium when the street lights are on, to blinking when dawn comes and the sun is out. makes sure that you are seen...since these days, a lot of drivers don't pay attention when going to work in a hurry.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

@OP we Need more specs from you about the light otherwise you are going to get a super wide range of prices and weights
what is your budget? Light for seeing or just to be seen? What battery life are you looking for?

I think the Niterider bar mounted headlights are a great compromise for weight, compactness, reliable and power.
the 750 Lumina is very highly rated and the 950Boost is even brighter. I just found these for early black friday sale- lower price than Amazon :)
My friends have bought from these guys and they ship fast and free to 48 - not sure about international sales though...
http://www.bikesdirect.com/incredible_h ... na-750.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/incredible_h ... lights.htm

dhitch wrote:First post on the forum been lurking for a while

Sorry if this topic has already been brought up.

In 2017 I am doing a long ride and one of the rules of
the ride is that the bike has to have lights on.

So as I have spent a fair amount of time and money on getting my Bike lighter I hardly want to stick heavy lights on it.

They will probably not be used as I will start and finish the days ride in day light hours.

Does anyone have an idea what the lightest road lights are including fixings.

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

Did a night ride with 350 Lezyne. Worked great. But it also helped that everyone else around me was throwing out 1000 lumens. I plan on upgrading to something stronger. If your traveling 20mph, you really need to see in front of you, luckily I live in an area with new roads but I did have trouble seeing at times with 350 lumens.

jeffy

by jeffy

MoreRideTime wrote:I like and use a Bontrager Flare R on my bikes all the time. This thing is visible for close to 2km from the rear.

+1 Flare R is incredible.

Bontrager do a pair (front and rear) of smaller "city" versions. Visible from 500m. Are great "be seen" lights.

They are small, pack quite a punch, would imagine they are as light as anything else - and lighter than most bigger.

the front & rear combo pack is the "Bontrager Ion 100 R/Flare R City Light Set".

Rechargeable / Direct from China is possibly the worst bicycle buying decision someone can make.

mattr

by mattr

He's already told us enough.

Le>Jog, daylight riding only, so it's not a record attempt with lots of night time riding required. It's also very likely to be an organised tour, hence the "rules", if was a solo thing, he'd take no lights as there would be no rules. (probably foolish, but not my call!) It's also likely to be easter - midsummer ish to get the prevailing winds. So a fair bit of daylight.

He only really needs to be seen in poor light/rain/dusk.

Something similar to the Lezynes i suggested would be ideal. Small, light, self contained, USB rechargeable. Not *so* likely to fall apart like knog.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Exposure Flare and TraceR combo are tiny, light, robust, good burn times on flashing and really bright. If you want a front that you can see with too then an exposure Sirius mk4 or mk5 is not under 100g, and a great light.

I also have a cateye volt 800 which is brighter than the Sirius but also about 30-40min heavier.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

In2win1945

by In2win1945

I came over from the mountain bike side, so the lights I am used to are a little overkill for road. I like NITERIDER brand because their lights typically slightly exceed actual lumen count in independent tests. I feel that many companies put a huge number on the package but the light does not deliver. A Nitrider 450 is perfect for nite rides run on medium, probably only 300 lumens. I sometimes run my Enduro 770 lumens headlamp with the 4 cell battery in my rear jersey pocket. Battery is damn heavy, I wrap in foam to save my back.

salesguy

by salesguy

kode54 wrote:
salesguy wrote:While at the extreme end of expensive, I have the new Lupine Betty front light and it's amazing. I find myself looking forward to dark rides just to see how insanely bright it is. Similar light quality and amount to my Lexus. Turns night into day.

yes, although i have issues with the beam pattern. i only wish that they would make a lens that will behave more like car lights. i don't have the latest Betty...but an older model that puts out 3,600 lumens. insanely bright but probably better for mtb riding. i have been using the Lupine Piko latest version with 1,700 lumens which is bright enough...and recently got the Rotlicht tail light which i like a lot. i've tried several different tail lights...but the Lupine one has been my favorite. i like the saddle rail mount and how easy it is to swap between bikes. also has an accelerometer when you slow down...goes from blinking to solid red like a car.

What don't you like about the beam pattern? Just curious. I've owned 3 sets of Betty lights, now on the current generation. At one point I actually had two lampheads running off one battery, that was insane.

I agree the tail light is really nice. I love the brake light feature, though I only see it when I pull into my garage and I wonder, why is that light so bright all of a sudden. Didn't know it had a saddle rail mount - I just use the seatpost mount.

All I can say about lupine is it reeks of german quality, through and through.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

salesguy wrote:
kode54 wrote:

What don't you like about the beam pattern? Just curious. I've owned 3 sets of Betty lights, now on the current generation. At one point I actually had two lampheads running off one battery, that was insane.

I agree the tail light is really nice. I love the brake light feature, though I only see it when I pull into my garage and I wonder, why is that light so bright all of a sudden. Didn't know it had a saddle rail mount - I just use the seatpost mount.

All I can say about lupine is it reeks of german quality, through and through.

the saddle rail mount is great for the tail light. only problem is if you have a carbon rail where the rails are oval instead of round. i had to use a longer bolt which i found at Home Depot. other than that, its a better solution if you have a few bikes and switch from one to the other. also, there's less clean up when riding in inclement weather. less issues with rain and dirt caught up on the seat post mount with the rubber band. i always hated that. you can change the sensitivity of the brake light function...but it took several tries to get it right. not the easiest interface. wished they had an app for that like they do the newer front lights.

the problem i had with the Betty's light pattern is with road riding. its like a concentrated high beam to oncoming cars. i get flashed more times that with the Piko. i angle it downward so that the beam hits the tip of my front tire. spreads the light, but the top half is still a strong light for others. joggers yell at me at times. so now, i use the Betty on the mtb trails...and there, no issues unless you approach hikers...which i have once going into the trails.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc