Colnago Expander

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

So, Colnago makes this ridiculously long expander.
I would need something like this temporarily, but am not sure what fork steerer internal diameter range it fits.
I understand it will go down to 22mm, but anyone have experience with it's maximum effective expansion?
Does the text 28.6 x 22 indicate the high and low end of the range?
or easier said, would it be secure in a fork with a steerer ID of 24mm?

(Yea, I get that it is an anchor.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The 28.6 (mm), is the outer diameter of the steertube, or the diameter of the black cap on top of the expander. The 22 (mm) is the diameter of the alloy part of the expander. The inner diameter of a Colnago (C60) steertube is between 22.8-22.9 mm. I really doubt this expander would work very well in a steertube with an inner diameter of much more than that. You'd really have to put a lot of torque on it to make (just the edges at the ends) expand enough to grip, and then it would seem to me you'd end up (it it did expand enough) with only the two sharp edges of the alloy part at either end of the expander cutting into your fork. I don't think it's a good idea.

The expander weighs 42 grams.

Curious, why would you need something like this only "temporarily"?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Thanks Calnago, the feedback is appreciated. I will give it a pass then.

Reasoning: My wife is working through some injuries and range of motion limitations. We got a shorter Workswell frame for her to test smaller geometry before we go with a new custom. The new frame has a spacer tower that is impressive - it might need to go up or down depending on progress with the discomfort. I wanted to try a super long expander to alleviate any concerns about the amount of spacers below / above the stem currently (and the flex it potentially produces.)

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Fill the steerer with epoxy?
Using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Maybe try something like this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Nefarious86, that is not necessarily a bad idea, but we may be selling the frame after we get the custom sorted, so epoxy might affect resale.

pdlpsher1, I used to have one of those Look stems! It was absurdly heavy and eventually got a bit noodly, but was not a bad way to dial in a fit on the trainer. Fiddling with the spacers and Kalloy stem is not too much of a problem for now.