Strava Fitness/Fatigue/Form numbers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Is there a guide to understanding these? I get that higher numbers in fitness and form are good and that higher in fatigue is bad, but how high and low do these numbers go. Is it just as simple as subtracting the two and lower form means you will be slower/less powerful?

Say you had two comparable sets of data

RIDE 1 SEPTEMBER
Fitness 57
Fatigue 77
Form -19

RIDE 2 NOVEMBER
Fit 44
Fatigue 47
Form -3

What could/should you interpret or predict about the rider's performance on those rides?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

borist

by borist

It's based on your FTP or FTHR - do you have a power meter and have you input your FTP? If you are just using HR it is an estimate at best.
Strava is copying (without breaching copyright) from some other programs...

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/power-training-levels

If you conduct some searches on here there are also some good threads on why you shouldn't use the Strava version.

Shrike

by Shrike

@borist

thanks, just using HR at the moment, but have a smart trainer on pre-order so will start adding those to Strada. Going to take a look now and see what the issues are with Strava's version

madcap

by madcap

There's a major flaw in Strava's version of fitness/fatigue/form numbers - changing your FTP will change the metrics of all your previous rides also. It basically renders the whole thing useless. Advanced athletes use TrainingPeaks, GoldenCheetah etc instead.

It's been like this for years now, so I have resigned myself to the fact that Strava are not serious about correcting the problem.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Utterly useless data and metrics to lure in anyone who is new to the sport and upgrade to premium account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

madcap wrote:There's a major flaw in Strava's version of fitness/fatigue/form numbers - changing your FTP will change the metrics of all your previous rides also. It basically renders the whole thing useless. Advanced athletes use TrainingPeaks, GoldenCheetah etc instead.

Yup, I pointed this out to Strava as well, didn't even get an acknowledgement the problem exists. It renders the entire thing pointless. :?