Zipp 303 vs Zipp 404 chainstay rub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sussexhills

by sussexhills

nemeseri wrote:Just to close this thread on a positive note: my LBS and I confirmed that it was brake pad rubbing and not chainstay or seat stay, so the zipp 303 nsw fits the 2017 cannondale supersix himod.

ALTOUGHT, I also noticed the same very loud vibration during hard braking and it sent me researching. I found that the new zipp nsw is very sensitive to the brake pad position and the more I toed in the pads, the harder the vibration got. So instead of toeing in, I mounted my brake pads flat and suddenly this solved the vibration problem completely. Also noticed that the brake rub due to flex (the issue I started the thread about) got more quiet and something I'd call normal. Yay!

Good to hear. I don't have NSW Zipps but also found I preferred the braking when mounting my Swisstop Black Prince pads with no toe-in like you.

As an aside, I actually like the sound of the minor brake pad rubbing when sprinting out of the saddle up to speed - makes me feel I'm going faster and I prefer to keep the calipers fairly tight to the rim for better modulation 8)

wingguy

by wingguy

nemeseri wrote:I'm a happy owner of a pair of zipp 303 nsw. And while my 2017 supersix himod does have clearance for wider tires, I noticed some rub between the rim and chainstay (right side only) when I'm out of the saddle on very steep grades (10%+) and tilting the bike sideways.

Is the wheel definitely central when the bike is stationary?

There was a small number of the previous Evo Hi-Mod frames with alignment issues at the dropout which exacerbated wheel rub problems. Unlikely that it's an issue on yours but would be worth double checking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

are

by are

wingguy wrote:There was a small number of the previous Evo Hi-Mod frames with alignment issues at the dropout which exacerbated wheel rub problems. Unlikely that it's an issue on yours but would be worth double checking.

Could you point me to some into on this? I have a 2014 Evo Hi-Mod and I think I have alignment issues at the dropouts. I didn't notice this until I got some wider wheels (HED Stinger 5s) and mounted 25mm tubs. I thought this was specific to me - I'd be very curious to know if it was a known problem.