How to wire up new Bar-End Junction A for Di2 (EW-RS910)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dak

by dak

sugarkane wrote:Image

you won't get brake housing through the bend..

try some brake cable liner.. if it won't hold the Etube cable tight enough trim the end off when freshly cut its perfect

:thumbup:

BTW, what bars are those in the picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

ergonovas

you'll want to work a bit of a bend into the liner to help it through the bend and feed the Etube cable into the bar while pulling very gently on the liner

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dak

by dak

sugarkane wrote:ergonovas

you'll want to work a bit of a bend into the liner to help it through the bend and feed the Etube cable into the bar while pulling very gently on the liner

Cheers [emoji482][emoji108][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

beanbiken

by beanbiken

sugarkane wrote:ergonovas

Hmm, tried my Ergonovas with a brake cable inner but didn't add the bend, will give the liner a try as recommended at some stage, thanks SK
BB

Coffee & carbon

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

yeah man brake cable will not work its too stiff

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Here's what I plan to do;

Run 1200mm cable from BB (4 way connector box) to LH shifter. Needs to be LH as 1200 is a bit too tight to go right. (Tarmac in 52).

Then link both shifters with my old 1000mm, or if I get time, a 650mm.

Then install RS910 on Right Hand Side and wire to RH shifter. This means RS910 would have only one cable coming from it.

Question is, will this work?!

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

cyclespeed wrote:Here's what I plan to do;

Run 1200mm cable from BB (4 way connector box) to LH shifter. Needs to be LH as 1200 is a bit too tight to go right. (Tarmac in 52).

Then install RS910 on Right Hand Side and wire to RH shifter. This means RS910 would have only one cable coming from it.

That should work, yes. You can use a 1400mm cable if the 1200mm one proves too short.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Pokerface07 wrote:

That should work, yes. You can use a 1400mm cable if the 1200mm one proves too short.

Thanks - Yes, a 1400 (or 1300?) would be better, but I underestimated the amount of cable used in looping round the headtube.

But I just had a thought - if the 910 can work with only one cable to it, why did Shimano design it with two? Much easier surely to just give it one and use the port on the shifter?

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

cyclespeed wrote:
Pokerface07 wrote:

Thanks - Yes, a 1400 (or 1300?) would be better, but I underestimated the amount of cable used in looping round the headtube.

But I just had a thought - if the 910 can work with only one cable to it, why did Shimano design it with two? Much easier surely to just give it one and use the port on the shifter?

There is no 1300mm cables.

And not everyone will want to use the same cable run as you. Wouldn't make sense for Shimano to limit the junction to one port. 2 is the minimum for some flexibility.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Cause it's not primarily for bar ends. It's also for mounting in the down tube ala trek, pinna, Scott..
where it would be jumpering the main wire

djwalker

by djwalker

You need to remember that Shimano has to accommodate not only your setup but also setups where people have climbing shifters or R785 hydro shifters. In both of those cases the main shifters have effectively only one port. With my R785 setup I actually needed to put a 4 port junction (normally only in the BB) into the bars because the hydro levers only have one port. In my case it would have been better if the bar end had 3 ports.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Also forgot the mention that the new junction box is also designed to be used in the frames of some bikes (currently Pinarello and Trek Madone I think). Usually placed into a slot on the downtube. So definitely need more than one port for those set-ups.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Good news!

It works! Thanks for the tips, must admit I was slightly dubious, as this set up is far removed from how Shimano say to do it.

And as a bonus the 1200mm cable is fine, I was being paranoid, I have about 50mm of spare.

Seems to me this is a much better way of doing it;

a) you only have to pass one cable up the 'difficult back passage' (ooer!) from the RS910
b) Each shifter has two cables in it (leaving one spare port in each). Better than having 3 and 1 (i.e. RHS full, and LHS with one cable).
c) No EW-WU111 connection to mess about with, which would leave the Dfly dangling in mid air around the headtube area. Just one clean cable from bar to frame.

AfromD

by AfromD

FWIW, I had good results with my Bontrager XXX Aero carbon handlebar. Really easy to push the cables through, no tricks required. Wires also route through the middle clamp section internally.

I am just using straight cables, the WU111 lives behind the stem in the carbon frame. I have wired up the bars as follows:
Right brifter - 350mm - RS910 - 900mm - left brifter - 550mm - WU111 in frame - rest of the system

One could also run 600mm between the brifters, but since I had the 900 at hand, I chose to wire both brifters to the junction as it is slightly more redundant in case of damage to the right brifter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AfromD

by AfromD

cyclespeed wrote:b) Each shifter has two cables in it (leaving one spare port in each). Better than having 3 and 1 (i.e. RHS full, and LHS with one cable).

The shifters only have two DI2 ports. The third port is for sprinter switches only. If you want to hook up any other extra switches, you will need to resort to Y-cables or hook them to the free port on the RS910.
Last edited by AfromD on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.