How to wire up new Bar-End Junction A for Di2 (EW-RS910)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

kode54 wrote:i have to find another way to mount a RS-910 since i ride with Enve bars. they all have a finished bar ends.

Cut one of the ends off :shock: I'd feel better about that than drilling holes in the bars

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

kode54 wrote:i have to find another way to mount a RS-910 since i ride with Enve bars. they all have a finished bar ends.

What is this other way of which you speaketh?!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djwalker

by djwalker

I asked Enve about cutting off the end since I have Enve bars on one bike. They strongly recommended against it and said that they used variable wall thickness in the bars t control weight and stiffness and cutting off the end might make the bars more likely to fail. Also, you'd still need to drill a hole in the bars in addition to cutting off the end to get the wires into the bar.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Enve, especially as an American company has to cover its ass. No way are they going to give anyone a green light to take a saw to their bars.
But given that this part of the bar is under little stress, i can't really see a problem.
As for actually passing the wires up and through, i have no idea.

KCookie

by KCookie

Just got my bike back today after having the bar-end junction fitted, added a massive 4g. [emoji1] .ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Looks very cool indeed.

Could you not do 'à la Specialized' and take the Di2 cable into the frame with the rear brake cable, then loop it round the headtube? Saves splitting them up.

KCookie

by KCookie

Cheers,
Yes I suppose that's possible,it would look better. I'll ask the question tomorrow and see if it can be done.

Tqubed

by Tqubed

djwalker wrote:I asked Enve about cutting off the end since I have Enve bars on one bike. They strongly recommended against it and said that they used variable wall thickness in the bars t control weight and stiffness and cutting off the end might make the bars more likely to fail. Also, you'd still need to drill a hole in the bars in addition to cutting off the end to get the wires into the bar.

That's interesting. I was at the North American Handmade Bike Show this month and there were several bike at the ENVE tent that has the bar-end junction installed in an ENVE handlebar. I didn't bother to ask how they did it because I didn't realize that the bar end were finished. I just assumed the finished bar ends were removable plugs.

Terpelding

by Terpelding

I installed the 9150 group set with the new ew rs910 via the recommendations on this thread with one connection wire to the rs910 junction box. All went smoothly and updated firmware of each component via the ew-wu111 wireless inline Bluetooth. However, the battery keeps draining and showing flat after several days and have to recharge it. Anyone else had this issue? The LBS has looked at it and not familiar with the new bar end junction box. I am using a brand new updated battery. Thx for any help or guidance.

billrush

by billrush

I am slowly building my new cockpit using a ProVibe 2017 alloy bar. BTW, I bought a Pro Vibe bar from Backcountry and it was the earlier version. Only 2017 has di2 holes in it. The alloy version is almost the same weight as the carbon bar so bought alloy. But the hole positions suck. Middle of bar hole will be blocked by most stems. The hole faces the stem so only the ProVibe stem will work. The only other two holes are about two inches from the bar ends faced bottom. I needed holes up by where the shifters are so drilled them.

billrush

by billrush

Next issue for me is I have climbing shifters. If I run one wire from the RS910 to the right shifter, and a wire from the left shifter to the right shifter, my Duraace 9150 shifters will be full except for the sprinter shifter port, which I have decided to use. So I'm getting an 800mm wire and running from the left shifter to the RS910. So both ports of the 910 will be used freeing a port for the climbing switch. Finally, I'm going all in and ordered the sprinter switches. I need to spend more time in the drops and I think this will help.

Lastly, on my Super Six Evo I have a junction box in the bottom bracket area which is not accessible unless you remove the bottom bracket, a major pain. So my existing wire is not long enough to run to the left shifter as people are doing here. So at the end of my existing wire, I'll add the EW-WU111 which has a port on both sides. Then I just put a short extension on it to reach the left shifter. Not as eligent but I'll wait till I have to pull my bottom bracket before I swap in the 1200mm wire.

This has been a complicated and expensive project and I'm not sure how much I have accomplished but it's been fun tinkering.

ab01ns

by ab01ns

djwalker wrote:I drilled my Al bars. I put one oval hole just big enough to get the connectors through on the inside of each drop about 1/2" below my lever clamps. I don't have any pictures but you can get an idea by looking at the pictures of the Pro Al bars on the Pro website. You can see where they put the holes at the factory. I put mine in the same place.

I too did that on my Scott foil. Took maybe 5 minutes, super easyImage

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

caadbrad

by caadbrad

so no harm in drilling holes in the alloy pro vibe 2017 bars by the shifters? If you look at their website now, they updated the image of those bars and removed the holes - i'd like to think i'm the reason why they did it because I contacted them just days before and told them about the misleading image compared to what you actually get. I recently got those bars and will be getting di2 soon. Where did you all purchase your EW-RS910? It doesn't appear to be released in the US yet - about the best i've seen is just ordering it from overseas via Ebay.

ab01ns

by ab01ns

caadbrad wrote:so no harm in drilling holes in the alloy pro vibe 2017 bars by the shifters? If you look at their website now, they updated the image of those bars and removed the holes - i'd like to think i'm the reason why they did it because I contacted them just days before and told them about the misleading image compared to what you actually get. I recently got those bars and will be getting di2 soon. Where did you all purchase your EW-RS910? It doesn't appear to be released in the US yet - about the best i've seen is just ordering it from overseas via Ebay.

Definitely no harm at all. The shop I work at has a few in stock, but I went with the old style 3 port under the bb shell cause I could get it for $50 less.
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

cyclespeed wrote:Looks very cool indeed.

Could you not do 'à la Specialized' and take the Di2 cable into the frame with the rear brake cable, then loop it round the headtube? Saves splitting them up.

Unfortuantly the hole in the head tube isn't big enough for both cables, the only option is to make the hole slightly bigger, but that will be when the warranty on the frame has run out.
The more I look at it, the more it bugs me. !!