Ultegra 11sp lever turned to 9sp?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bora

by Bora

Hello WW's,

Today I made a crash with my Ultegra 6800 groupset bike. After I came home, I saw that rear derailleur only shifts up to 9 speed instead of 11. At first I tried to adjust the cable but it didn't work. Then I detached the cable between rear derailleur and lever to make sure it's not leaning against the limits. I am counting the click sound on the lever and the cable movement, it's always 9..! Or I'm being crazy. How could that be possible? Any ideas to fix it rather than replacement?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bora

by Bora

Turns out the gear cable was the main problem. However, I have no idea how this happened. :?

Fiery

by Fiery

It's a known issue with all Shimano levers with shifter cable routing under the bar tape. The cable makes a sharp bend inside the lever and it gets worn out and frayed relatively quickly compared to older Shimano and other systems. You just have to stay on top of it, check cables regularly and replace them before they are completely worn out.

rothwem

by rothwem

Fiery wrote:It's a known issue with all Shimano levers with shifter cable routing under the bar tape. The cable makes a sharp bend inside the lever and it gets worn out and frayed relatively quickly compared to older Shimano and other systems. You just have to stay on top of it, check cables regularly and replace them before they are completely worn out.

It's honestly been a problem since the 7800 Dura Ace generation. It used to happen to me about twice a season. I could usually catch it before the end broke off, but its a *f##k* to get that cable end out of the shifter if it does break off.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

It's not too hard to get it out. You need to take the lever of and unscrew the plastic cover on the lever, you can pull the cable out with pliers.
I use it as an opportunity to change brake cable inner as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk