Power Transfer Shoe Comparison?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rossjm11

by rossjm11

Weenies,

As a sprinter, I am constantly trying to have very stiff equipment to deliver as much power to the road as possible. Is there any good research out there on the differences between top road shoes? If not, what shoes in your opinion are best for sprinting? This is a really interesting topic to me, because shoes are clearly one of the most important pieces of cycling equipment, and I think they are often underrated.
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

I wouldn't be too quick to overrate too stiff equipment for serious sprinting from low speed, it can be damn difficult to get the power to the ground without having the bike skipping all over the road... Nothing said about shoes specifically here, just a general notion of my own experiences...

Most testing on stiffness in cranks vs power losses generally show that very little is lost between the stiffest and the least stiff crankset though, even if they do feel very different to ride/pedal.

That said the feeling of soft soles is just dull...

spud

by spud

nothing scientific, but in my experience, most BOA shoes do not have the top down retention that a good strap/buckle has. I suppose the newer BOA designs pulling on a strap, instead of wire crossing the top of the foot would work fine. As a for instance, I have a pair of Bont Vaypor+. They just don't have that positive retained feeling in the heel or instep. Found the same with the old S Works gen 5. I feel better on Shimano R320s. The new gen 6 S Works might be better as they use non stretch material, and wrap it further over the instep to help hold things down, as does the aggressive heel counter.

So far as sole stiffness goes, everything I've tried above that's full carbon is more than adequate. Can't tell the diff between any of the above in that respect.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Don't focus on stiffness but rather on your insole that supports your arch. Majority of population have mid-high arch but people utterly ignore this and do sports with flat insole.

If interested in deep dive, read blogs by Steve Hogg https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... ch-support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Fit first, stiffness second. You'll lose more in slop than the marginal differences in soles at the top end.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

MisterMuncher wrote:Fit first, stiffness second. You'll lose more in slop than the marginal differences in soles at the top end.

I'd agree with that.

Although I've criticised the new Sworks 6 for their lack of comfort (even if they have now broken in somewhat), they do have a limpet like grip on your foot, mostly thanks to the new hardcore heel design. Just as in a ski boot, you don't want your heel to come off the bed, so it is here.

And the sole is very stiff (like all topend race shoes).

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Not any research, just anecdotal evidence, but I think if you spoke to track riders they'd have the opposite opinion. Bont shoes are highly rated on the track, they're more than just stiff in the sole, they're stiff everywhere. They don't fit me at all (I can't wear them on the road, just plain uncomfortable) but on the track they feel brilliant, especially during standing start efforts, there's no movement anywhere.

You can decide for yourself if this is important. There are some that argue it doesn't matter.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

kgt

by kgt

I agree with most comments.
Perfect fit is the most important. A well designed, stiff and supportive heel is also very important IME. The stiffest carbon sole is a plus but it comes third. A nice, lightweight feel of the shoe on the foot is another plus.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

If you look at what the top pro sprinters wear, it runs the spectrum. Granted they wear the sponsor's brand - possibly highly customized - but it does suggest fit matters the most, since all likely utilize stiff soles.
Slightly off-topic, but I occasionally spot sprinters sporting floating cleats. The feel seems unsettling to me and always made me wonder how they sprint like madmen with their foot shifting around.
Oldbie

jekyll man

by jekyll man

1 of my mates is a cobbler and repairs most of the GB track squads shoes (he's local to where most of them have digs), and pretty much all of them use Bonts (either lace up or converted to lace up).
Even when they look battered to bits, they still keep them.

Pretty much says it all really.
Official cafe stop tester

TonyM

by TonyM

jekyll man wrote:1 of my mates is a cobbler and repairs most of the GB track squads shoes (he's local to where most of them have digs), and pretty much all of them use Bonts (either lace up or converted to lace up).
Even when they look battered to bits, they still keep them.

Pretty much says it all really.

Do they use their Bont with the factory insole or with a 3rd party/ custom made insole ?

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I'd be very surprised if the majority of them used the factory insole...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

TonyM

by TonyM

istigatrice wrote:I'd be very surprised if the majority of them used the factory insole...

That would also be my assomption.

I am looking at the moment at insoles for my bont shoes also... maybe I will take the Spezialized insole.

Marin

by Marin

Stiffness is way overrated. Stiffer frames, components or shoes will *not* "increase power transfer", they will just feel different, which some might prefer.

They won't make you any faster though.

Agree about fit being the highest priority.

Antoine

by Antoine

French team sprinters wear custom shoes (Sierra) or Bont. B.Coquard wore Nortwave but he had a contract.

Even at my modest level I can feel the difference on the track (less on the road) , first I used older Shimano (R100) then Bont Blitz and I definitely gained some speed with the Bont.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com