Fizik R1B Uomo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lw11

by lw11

Does anyone have any feedback on the Fizik R1B Uomo road shoes? I'm looking for a new pair of shoes and i'm deciding whether to go with the Fizik or hold out for the S-Phyre RC9. I'm currently riding Shimano R171 and they have been good, but i'm looking for something with Boa dials on my next pair. Ratchets and velcro straps just don't provide a consistent fit and I'm not a fan of laces.

spud

by spud

It's not the ratchet/straps that's causing the inconsistent fit, It's the material of the upper. Nylon based uppers as on the 171 shrink and expand with moisture content, my 320s do the same thing. My old Sidis did the same thing. I tried the gen 5 S works, and couldn't get comfortable on them either.

That's not to say the Fizik won't work well for you. Personally, I'd wait for the S-Phyre if you know the Shimano fits you - they make great shoes, and I;m guessing the new ones are awesome. I think the new upper materials are getting more pliable and hopefully more temperature/humidity stable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

I have had bont,r3 fizik and top of the range sidi,but for me these are the best shoes I have had soft uppers and really comfy imo.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

micky

by micky

As for shoes, as some other few items, the best way would be to try them as the shape of your feet is very personal.
I didnt try the R1B but I do own from a year the R3B which works well.
The only downside of this shoes is the weight, otherwise the finish is unbelieveble.

lw11

by lw11

Thanks for the feedback. At least I know Shimano fit OK, i'll have to try find a local shop that stock Fizik road shoes. They all seem to stock their bar tape and saddles but not shoes.

Lynet

by Lynet

I've been riding Fizik shoes for a couple of seasons. Both the old R1 and this season I've been using R1B.

They size up quite large and if you prefer to have your cleats very far back you should make sure you can get the right position before you buy. They tend to put the holes pretty far forward.

Other than that, the new Boa/wire system is great. And they look the business!

lw11

by lw11

Lynet wrote:I've been riding Fizik shoes for a couple of seasons. Both the old R1 and this season I've been using R1B.

They size up quite large and if you prefer to have your cleats very far back you should make sure you can get the right position before you buy. They tend to put the holes pretty far forward.

Thanks for this. My cleats are as far back on my R171's so the Fizik may not be the best for my position. I guess I'll wait until the black S-Phyre are released in January. Cheers everyone.

russianbear

by russianbear

Lynet wrote:I've been riding Fizik shoes for a couple of seasons. Both the old R1 and this season I've been using R1B.

How does the fit compare from the old R1s to the new?

I love my 'roo leather shoes, but itching for something new.

Lynet

by Lynet

russianbear wrote:How does the fit compare from the old R1s to the new?

Length-wise they're the same, but the arch and toe box seem to have more room. You're supposed to be able to adjust the volume with the boa dials, but tightening them too hard puts pressure in weird places on top of the foot. So I've used an extra thick insole in mine.

bear0417

by bear0417

Recently, I used fizik R1B. Very light weight and comfortable. Last item is SIDI kaos wire.

Leather is soft and comfortable.

If you choice R1B, you will be satisfied.

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

Personal experiences are that the Fizik R1Bs have been very well made but they have a very particular last shape. To me the arch is too high for my fairly flat feet so I can no longer ride them. The older version with the kangaroo uppers were my favourites.

wingguy

by wingguy

jrmynthn wrote:Personal experiences are that the Fizik R1Bs have been very well made but they have a very particular last shape. To me the arch is too high for my fairly flat feet so I can no longer ride them. The older version with the kangaroo uppers were my favourites.

That's rather counterinuitive.

The older Fizik R1s had an incredibly high arch that was dramatically different from the rest of the market, but the new R1Bs are built on a completely new last with a much flatter sole/instep shape which is pretty consistent with the standard shapes used by most of the shoe industry.

DJT21

by DJT21

lw11 wrote:

Thanks for this. My cleats are as far back on my R171's so the Fizik may not be the best for my position. I guess I'll wait until the black S-Phyre are released in January. Cheers everyone.

I don't think there are any other shoes on the market that offer as much of a rearward cleat position as shimano do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com