2017 Cervelo S5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dynaserve

by dynaserve

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... isc-48559/

Amazing "21.3W gain over the previous generation"...

Wait a minute, Cervelo site says 21.4W vs S5 VWD (gen1) https://www.cervelo.com/en-ca/road/s-series/s5

Most of these gains are with the bars + wheels...

Is the 2017 S5 frame same as last year with just updated graphics and seatpost? Very misleading from both Bikeradar and Cervelo if it is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dez33

by Dez33

dynaserve wrote:Is the 2017 S5 frame same as last year with just updated graphics and seatpost? Very misleading from both Bikeradar and Cervelo if it is.

Appears that way, at first glance I thought the down tube was slightly different, but that's just the graphics after a few looks.

Makes sense given the 2015/16 was 21.3 watts faster than the previous model, and this 2017 is 21.4 watts faster .... basically the same bike.

wingguy

by wingguy

dynaserve wrote:Is the 2017 S5 frame same as last year with just updated graphics and seatpost? Very misleading from both Bikeradar and Cervelo if it is.

The S5 is still the same S5, and Cervelo still have the same blurb on their website that they've had since V2 launched in 2014. Bikeradar *f##k* up through laziness and ignorance. Nothing misleading from Cervelo.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Cut and paste journalism at it's worst.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Cervelo themselves have been very unclear on this one, maybe even deliberately?

Our local Cervelo dealer also communicated this information to the customers, mostly about the "new layup", which, actually, is black on white stated in the Cervelo product 2017 catalogue, and, when I pointed their attention to the same wattage and stiffness increases numbers, which were communicated back in 2015, they still kept insisting that "the frame shapes are unchanged, but the carbon layup has been significantly improved".
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

wingguy

by wingguy

Cervelo are just using the same blurb on the web and brochure as they did in 2016 and 2015. Everything they've put out specifically for the launch of the new models states that it's just a new colour, seatpost and build specs.

They certainly haven't been telling dealers that there's a new layup, it's not really Cervelo's fault if your shop has got that wrong. :noidea:

1415chris

by 1415chris

Frankly, prefer previous paint.
Hope they changed (improved) saddle clamping system.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

1415chris wrote:Hope they changed (improved) saddle clamping system.

It looks like it uses a FSA SL-K seatpost head... it works but I'm not a fan. It's bulky and if it's exactly the same has what FSA uses, it has little ribs to prevent unwanted saddle rotation from your weight. It kinda locks into those. Works great in that regard but it makes it almost impossible to keep it at an angle in between if you really want a very precise angle that is not into those preset notches. They're spaced quite close but still, not the best design IMO.

BRM

by BRM

It's just as the marketing of washing powders, every time its new and better.
Noone believes, and so you should do with Cervelo marketing.

srshaw

by srshaw

Last year the cheapest version was £4k with ultegra. Now its £8k, admittedly with better wheels and di2 (only utlegra though). Makes the Canyon Aeroad look like a bit of a bargain.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Also a power meter with the Ultegra version.

TiCass

by TiCass

glam2deaf wrote:Also a power meter with the Ultegra version.

Yeah, but the question is... why?

Powermeters are a bit like pedals... I'm gonna use mine anyway so don't bother.

emcardle

by emcardle

It seems like cyclingtips is the only website taking a critical non lazy look at things :(

F45

by F45

Makes an aero bike, gives it a yuuge head tube and then adds spacers under the stem for the photo op? It feels like I'm taking crazy pills.

Oh, Canada.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Anyone else think the new black/red/white colourway looks like a downgrade?

Spotted this on Instagram and thought it would have looked more premium for a new season's S5. (Yes, yes I know, everyone's sick of black - it does look more top-of-the-line though). No comment on that stem :P

My feeling it the graphic designers over at Cervelo are going through an 80s phase, with all the black and red they're putting out.