2017 Cervelo S5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Gotta love an S5 with a short upward pointing stem and the Garmin placed so as to catch as much wind as possible......not to mention that bizarre contraption hanging off the saddle....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

Ugh. Managed to become ugly
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I know it looks ugly, but if you're trying to put your elbows where other people put their hands then something's gotta give... Sure triathlon setups don't look pretty but they get the job done for triathletes.

When you have TT bars on the Garmin should be between your forearms so I'd be surprised if it wasn't aerodynamically neutral in that position.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

wingguy

by wingguy

srshaw wrote:Last year the cheapest version was £4k with ultegra. Now its £8k, admittedly with better wheels and di2 (only utlegra though). Makes the Canyon Aeroad look like a bit of a bargain.

The £4k Ultegra model is still showing availability in Cervelo's B2B, with further shipments scheduled well into next year.

1415chris

by 1415chris

With few shops visits/phone calls £3.4k ;)

dynaserve

by dynaserve

I'm not obsessing or anything, but interested to see Bikeradar updated the article and pulled the marketing BS.

wingguy

by wingguy

dynaserve wrote:I'm not obsessing or anything, but interested to see Bikeradar updated the article and pulled the marketing BS.

They didn't pull any marketing BS. All the stiffness claims, weight claims and aero claims are still there... In the article they wrote in 2014.

pastronef

by pastronef

Shrike wrote:Anyone else think the new black/red/white colourway looks like a downgrade?

Spotted this on Instagram and thought it would have looked more premium for a new season's S5. (Yes, yes I know, everyone's sick of black - it does look more top-of-the-line though). No comment on that stem :P

My feeling it the graphic designers over at Cervelo are going through an 80s phase, with all the black and red they're putting out.

that frame has been repainted.
it could even be chinese knock off

leejonggil

by leejonggil

Not bad, the decal reminds me of bmc.

Shrike

by Shrike

Anyone got info on the new seatposts? See some or most of DiData have moved to the new one. Some haven't. Curious about it. Actually asked Cervelo about the seat post changes and they didn't reply. Cervelo support seem quite rubbish generally. Hit and miss if you get a response.

Pick of them stacked up here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BP4_p_njiCT ... =cervelos5

wingguy

by wingguy

Shrike wrote:Anyone got info on the new seatposts?

What kind of info, beyond the obvious?

Shrike

by Shrike

wingguy wrote:
Shrike wrote:Anyone got info on the new seatposts?

What kind of info, beyond the obvious?

Weight, stiffness and watt savings (real or imagined).

Find the current one pretty flexy, thinking to change it to the new one. Anyone else think the S5 post is really flexy by the way?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

No.

But just from the looks of the new one, I can't imagine it would be "less flexy".

I'm more interested in the clamping mechanism change, where the current one left a lot to be desired, especially with carbon railed saddles.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Shrike

by Shrike

@mrlobber got a pic of your post on your bike? Probably I find it flexy as there's 24.5cm of post from the from to saddle bolt.

Cervelo says it's carbon rail compatible. Not sure if that means it takes oval rails out of the box, or they have accessory rails you can order for it though. Asked them about that already but no response.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Shrike wrote:Weight, stiffness and watt savings (real or imagined).

Find the current one pretty flexy, thinking to change it to the new one. Anyone else think the S5 post is really flexy by the way?

No weight saving and no watt saving. It's designed to be more flexy and (with two bolt instead of barrel clamp) to eliminate the saddle tilt problem of the current post.