What do you think about my upgrades? (weight weenie on a budget)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

evan326

by evan326

Have you ridden both?
Each time I've tested a bike with sram I didn't like the way it felt. Certain parts I don't let weight be the deciding factor. My ultegra brakes for example may have added weight, but also added a lot more confidence. Saving 180g wouldn't matter to me if I didn't like the way the shifters felt.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I would suggest to leave it for the next one project. I made the switch not because of weight, but I was having issues with shimano shifting on my last bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zalle

by zalle

Cool guys... I'll leave it... :)

JohnHinMD

by JohnHinMD

I'm just seeing this thread now. Adding my data point for the OP's consideration. Due to back problems, last year I said goodbye to my much loved 7 year-old Cervelo R3SL, which no matter what parts I hung on it never weighed more than 15lbs/6.8kgs and for a while was at 13.9lbs/6.3kgs, and built up a 2015 54cm Specialized S-Works Roubaix SL4 (matte black), with Dura Ace Di2 groupset (53/39), 11-28 Sram Red cassette, Zipp SL-70 aero bars, Lizard Skins bar tape, Supacaz bar end plugs, Arundel Mandible cages, Speedplay Zero stainless, Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle, and Zipp 404 Firestrike wheels with 25mm Conti GP4Sii. The weight in that configuration was 15.8 lbs/7.1 kgs. It had great power transfer on the flats and during climbing and was a very enjoyable bike in all conditions, even though it wasn't at the pointy end of weight weenie-ism.

OP, I think you are indeed pretty close to your achievable minimum for your frameset without going much more expensive and/or exotic with the groupset, saddle, wheels, crankset, bars. Nice job with what you've got/done and enjoy the bike!

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Keep in mind that your frame is FACT 8r carbon. It's budget frame from Specialized with major weight penalty. FACT 8 carbon is heavier than Specialized aluminum frame. If I was in your shoes, I would not invest much into this build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

evan326

by evan326

OK, I've been following this from the beginning. Where's the pics?!

zalle

by zalle

mpulsiv wrote:Keep in mind that your frame is FACT 8r carbon. It's budget frame from Specialized with major weight penalty. FACT 8 carbon is heavier than Specialized aluminum frame. If I was in your shoes, I would not invest much into this build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi impulsive,

As far as I know, the fact 8 Roubaix frame weighs around 1250g, which would be some 150g more than fact 10. Do you know if this is correct? I don't know exactly the frame's weight, but I don't think 150g makes any difference in my project.
As I said in the beginning, I didn't buy this bike specifically as a WW project, I just want it lighter, and I'm (almost) happy with it.

zalle

by zalle

evan326 wrote:OK, I've been following this from the beginning. Where's the pics?!

Hi Evan 326, I'm away for a few days, let me get back home and I will take some pics and put them here. Thanks for your interest.

By the way, Specialized Romin pro seat on the way, 115g less, AND I found out that original tubes weighed 123g instead of 93, so that's another 60g I saved without knowing :beerchug:
Last edited by zalle on Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zalle

by zalle

Another interesting situation I found, my bike has Tiagra 4700 shifters, and I was aching to change those for some ultegra 6700, but I read a bit about it, and it looks like my Tiagra ones are a newer generation, very similar to 105 5800 and Ultegra 6800, BUT limited to 10 gears, which are supposed to be somewhat improved over the previous generation, i.e.the ultegra 6700. So it looks like if I changed them, I would have worse shifters, 40g lighter, for some 180€... And these Tiagra ones go for 35-50€... (second hand, all of them).

zalle

by zalle

evan326 Actually I found some mobile phone pics, not the greatest, but I'll post them now, and make some better ones when I get back, and all the parts are on the bike:. Sorry for the shitty pics (and I'm a professional photographer hahaha).

Complete bike here. Rear derailleur still Tiagra GS, ultegra RD6700 SS ready to replace it. Specialized Romin Pro 155mm will also replace the Toupe gel seat, Ultegra 12-30 cassette (max that the RD6700 will take):

Compact ultegra 6700 crank and ultegra 6700 front shifter:

Carbon drops (thinking about cutting off some tape and reveal the carbon top of the bars). Stem and stem cover are still original here:

The front, the ultegra 6800 brakes and the carbon drops:

Detail of the Mavic Ksyriums SL, black sprayed by me, skewers are still original. Ti ones now:

zalle

by zalle

Weird stuff... My ultegra RD6700 didn't fit... Apparently I need the 6800 even though I'm only running 10 speed... It's those weird 4700 shifters...

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

zalle wrote:Carbon drops (thinking about cutting off some tape to save a gram or two and reveal the carbon top of the bars).

FIFY

kulivontot

by kulivontot

What do you mean by "won't fit?" Did cable pull change from 10spd 6700 -> 4700?

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

how did you manage to get 47xx suifters to work with 67xx derailleurs? :) they use different cable pull than the previous iteration of shimano 10spd road..

tiagra 47xx parts use the same actuation ratio, as 11spd gruppos, whereas, the older 10spd groups are with shorter cable pull.

trust me, if you upgrade your derailleurs, buy 6800 parts, those will work with your 10spd st4700 shifters

btw, i would keep those shifters and upgrade the derailleurs to ultegra-6800. then you later will have the option to upgrade to 11spd, and the new derailleur design, which works with increased cable pull is more tolerant and reliable due to the longer cable travel per click..
Last edited by vejnemojnen on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com