What do you think about my upgrades? (weight weenie on a budget)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gavf

by Gavf

He is "triggering conflict" because he recommended a very decent and lightweight saddle?

It is you and you alone who has started throwing around ad hominem's to pack out an absolutely non argument, over a saddle!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Brooks B17 is the only choice apparently.
Back on topic.
Op, thats some solid upgrades given the starting point. Can you put together a spreadsheet of all component weights so we can make some more recommendations? Sounds like you've touched most the key points. At this point it'll likely be a lot of little things that'll add up

zalle

by zalle

Ok guys, thanks for your help. Some questions have arised:

SL1 told me to:

Replace your stock headset expander that probably weighs around 50+ grams with one of the J&L superlight expanders. Weight is 6.7grams
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-L-Carbon-Fo ... lKXW5Fc14g

Ok, I ordered it, but I took my stem off, and I found this:

Is this what I'm supposed to replace? How the hell do I remove it???

Another question, I had a 100mm Cannondale stem in a drawer (same size as my original Specialized, which weighs 164g with bolts) and I decided to weigh it, and It's 97g without bolts, 124g with bolts. The Uno7 is around 105g. Is this with or without bolts? I put the cannondale one and I'm 40g lighter now.

kulivontot

Here is a print of my spreadsheet, I've done it as accurate as I can / know.

I know I could go lighter on the brakes, but this way everything is ultegra and they look cool and are supposed to be good quality. I got them second hand like new.

Shimano claims the Ultegra 12-30 Cassette weighs 259g, but mine weighs 275 :( :( :(

Last edited by zalle on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRM

by BRM

Gavf wrote:He is "triggering conflict" because he recommended a very decent and lightweight saddle?

It is you and you alone who has started throwing around ad hominem's to pack out an absolutely non argument, over a saddle!

No he holds on to his stupidity that he thinks and try to justify that its possible to do recomendations based on nothing. Even with explenation he doesn't see whats missing. And when you dont see it either you are the same kind, with the same flaw in your thinking. And that is the rub on this forum. Too many onetrack minded people, sorry. This forum works as a magnet for particular people. Its a pity because valuable discussions are here a rare phenomenon. You would expect different when people gather on a forum and when advanced/specialized equipment is the subject. The discussions are not in line with it. Thinking and discussion on advanced levels looks very different in my world. When you start rating each topic on WW, you will directly notice that most are poor discussions. And when you tell whats missing its not picked up. When you are on a forum like this I expect you know how to choose a saddle in an intelligent way, but look to this topic. Its not hilarious, its sad. And so are many subjects of the same poor level.

zalle

by zalle

Please guys... Topic is "Weight weenie on a budget"

kulivontot

by kulivontot

It looks like you're starting to hit the point of diminishing returns. You're going to find it hard to go much lighter without investing seriously in either a top tier group set, wheels, or frameset. Still, sub 17 pounds for a Roubaix is quite good. I'd say you've a hit a plateau in terms of price to performance and should go enjoy your bike.

Looking through your spreadsheet, the shimano penalty is quite evident, especially in the shifters. A set of 10spd sram red shifters are 295g, nearly half a pound lighter. This is why a lot of budget builds on here feature sram. Of course that really comes down to personal preference, but it's something to think about for the next build.

Gavf

by Gavf

zalle wrote:Please guys... Topic is "Weight weenie on a budget"

I am sorry no other discussion can be had within your own post, that seems to be your rules you have set.

In answer to your valid question, i have 2 videos and extensive knowledge how to remove that nut in your fork, i just don't agree with the rules you set.

Good luck.

zalle

by zalle

I'm just so sick of keyboard warriors in every single forum... :noidea:

SL1

by SL1

zalle wrote:Is this what I'm supposed to replace?

Yes.

zalle wrote:How the hell do I remove it???

On most expanders there is a hex shape nut going through the centre. Usually a 5,6,7 or 8mm hex size. Loosen that off and the expander should slide out.

To install and remove the J&L expander you'll need a 8mm hex key.

zalle

by zalle

Hey guys, It looks like my upgrades payed off. I did a 65k ride today, my best avg speed was about 25kph, and today I did it with 28.3kph... I noticed bigger difference uphill.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I highly doubt that the weight savings attributed to much on that. As you probably know, average speeds depend on many variables.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Really fun and interesting post to follow these past few days. (With the exception of that "saddle sore" deviation :D ) Many of us - me included - have difficulty conceiving the budget element. At my stage in life, I want to save grams I just go out and buy it. Although my strategy leans toward big weight savings, like you see in wheels or gruppos.

Hey, OP, make sure to work up a chart on the costs and what you recoup. That will top off this delightful thread.
Oldbie

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Butcher wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble, but I highly doubt that the weight savings attributed to much on that. As you probably know, average speeds depend on many variables.

^ This and word of advice to slow down when it comes to projects like this. Someone mentioned before that you pretty much striping the whole bike. In any case, WW projects are fun and should be done with a simple spreadsheet so you can see the delta and your expense. Many of us have multiple spreadsheets for every bike. It's so much easier to keep track of your upgrades and effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

zalle

by zalle

Do you guys think it's worth it to exchange shimano shifters + rear derailleur for SRAM Rival, and save 180g on the shifters?

There's a pair of shifters + rear derailleur for 120€ in good condition. My shifters & derailleur can be sold for 80€... maybe?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

It's only worth it if you prefer Sram shifters over Shimano IMO.