What do you think about my upgrades? (weight weenie on a budget)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zalle

by zalle

Hi guys, I bought a 2016 Specialized Roubaix, which was a bit heavy (8.900g without pedals) It had Tiagra 4700 and a deore MTB cassette.

I want a light bike, like everyone else, but it needs to be practical, reliable and robust (I weigh 85kg now, need some upgrades too...).

I don't want to spend a fortune, and my main concern is rolling weight. I made some upgrades, some second hand, but in great nick, and I have all my bits and pieces (almost new) I can resell and recover a big chunk of spendings until now.

I made the following upgrades, I'll include 2 weights, new and previous:

Ti skewers 10€, 48g/118g
Mavic Ksyrium SL, 130€, 1530g/2050g
light weight cont tubes 20€, 102g/186g
copycat carbon bars 70€, 248g/338g
ultegra 6700 crank 90€, 697g/918g
ultegra cassette 12-30 (replacing 11-34) 40€, 259g/429g
ultegra 6700 rear derailleur 50€, 190g/277g
ultegra 6700 front derailleur 27€. 85g/106g (this was mostly because the tiagra one is very stiff)

So I'm down 1275g, the bike weighs 7600 now, and total cost was around 437€

What do you think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nvroadie

by nvroadie

That's an impressive amount of weight that you've saved. Replacing the shifters with DA 7900 would be a great upgrade.
Once you get your position worked out, go to a Kalloy Uno 7 stem with Ti bolts! Also, if you like the stock Specialized saddle, then look for a Ti or carbon rail version, cut up to 150 grams there!

zalle

by zalle

Actually I don't like my saddle, it weighs 280g and it's got gel.I think the gel makes it more uncomfortable for some reason...

Model is Toupé Sport, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm.

Any recommendation?

BRM

by BRM

Recommendations needs reference, I don't see any . . . . :wink:

Gehenna

by Gehenna

If your local store has that ass scanner thing, try that. Could also see about any try before buy saddle options

nvroadie

by nvroadie

zalle wrote:Actually I don't like my saddle, it weighs 280g and it's got gel.I think the gel makes it more uncomfortable for some reason...

Model is Toupé Sport, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm.

Any recommendation?

Try a Spesh Power seat. It goes the wrong way with weight in the cheaper models, but it's best to be comfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Gehenna wrote:If your local store has that ass scanner thing, try that.

Sounds very kinky this "ass scanner".

/a

Gehenna

by Gehenna

alcatraz wrote:
Gehenna wrote:If your local store has that ass scanner thing, try that.

Sounds very kinky this "ass scanner".

/a

I think you know what i mean but for anyone who was confused by my incoherent ramblings, i meant this:
http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2013/05/ ... ddles.html

SL1

by SL1

That's some decent weight savings

Some recommondations

Are you still on the stock Esport Elite tyres ? They weigh 270 grams each.

Buy some Vittoria Rubino Pro 3's at 17.64 Euro each. They weigh 230 grams each in 25c. So that's another 80 gram saving. And they have 150tpi vs 60tpi
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino ... cher-tyre/

Planet X lightweight inner tubes weigh 80 grams and cost 3.28 Euro each (normally 2.28 euro). Another 40 gram saving
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TUPX700LWR ... inner-tube

7-Tiger inline carbon seatpost. Weighs 135 grams in 27.2 - 400mm. Cut off the excess for further weight savings.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/black-s ... 58f1b88f0b

Replace your stock headset expander that probably weighs around 50+ grams with one of the J&L superlight expanders. Weight is 6.7grams
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-L-Carbon-Fo ... lKXW5Fc14g

Carbon top cap to save few more grams
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bike-Bi ... 9c26643381

Kalloy Uno Stem - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116669
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KALLOY-UNO-AL ... 7Pl8cj7zlQ

EXUSTAR-E-PR200 (Look Keo copy's) - 122 grams each
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EXUSTAR ... 4812590e41

Carbon bottle cage - 18 grams
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Ne ... 655be78e60

Chinese bar tape - 22 grams a pair (uncut). It's not the most durable but is super light and super cheap
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-COLORFUL ... 1IWLylxSmA

Saddle - Pick up a used Selle italia SLR titanium on ebay. They are around 140 grams and can got for 45+ Euro (if your lucky).
Last edited by SL1 on Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

zalle

by zalle

Hi SL1,

The Esport Elite went on my other bike. I have a pro race 3 in the front (217g) and a continental in the back (240g).

Thanks for your great recommendations, I'll look into some of those ;)

BRM

by BRM

Stop the unintelligent recommendations for saddles without having any point of reference.

A saddle needs to match with your personal anatomical rear part + the angle you sit on it (eg leaning forward)
That makes what works for you and what not. What is good for one is a mismatch for an other person.

When some can tell a history of used saddles that worked for them, you have any clue in what direction need to be looked. But without any reference you simple can't recommend a model.

SL1

by SL1

BRM wrote:Stop the unintelligent recommendations for saddles without having any point of reference.

A saddle needs to match with your personal anatomical rear part + the angle you sit on it (eg leaning forward)
That makes what works for you and what not. What is good for one is a mismatch for an other person.

When some can tell a history of used saddles that worked for them, you have any clue in what direction need to be looked. But without any reference you simple can't recommend a model.

Why not ? It may fit his critera. Light and inexpensive. The SLR is a popular saddle (most popular?). It works for alot of riders. It might work for the OP. There's a 50/50 chance. It is up to him to decide if that saddle interests him or not, not you. Previous saddle history doesn't mean a whole lot nor does it outline any strict rules to adhere to in regarding shapes. If you dont experiment with different types of saddles. How will the you ever find the 'right' one ? By copying the last one ? i think not. Only one way to find out. Try it. If it doesn't work out. Move on to the next.

BRM

by BRM

How does it come that you after my explanation you still reject the basics of choice and recommendations?
First things first, use your brains. Try to find parameters for choice, then try.

You make many mistakes in you post.
His criteria is not light an"d inexpensive, he talks about comfort. You missed the most importent parameter. It says something about your approach and the way you interpretate a question. Comfort will be achieved by the right fit/match with rear end. You also seems to never heard of elemination format in making choices. The 50/50 idea is grabbed out of thin air too. Calculation based on nothing.

"Its up to him what he dicides and not you." Just another stupid view on the matter.
I dont said one should not experiment with saddles. Its your limited view on my words that set you on the wrong foot.

How does it come that after my info you still don't see that for recommendations you need reference.
It's not an option but a necessity when you want to give a recommendation with is from any value.

Bikes evolve, cycling evolves, information is evolving but lots of people still follow stone age ways when they are out on a new products. It's time for people here to see the incompleteness in their thinking. Talking about high end equipment, teling themselves they are busy on advanced levels, think their talking and sdiscussion are on advanced levels. Often not true at all. Intelligent people/advanced thinkers use systems in their thinking, follow well thought out formats and never blindly follow only trial and error ways.

I dont have a problem with people that have a lack of insight or knowledge (we all need to learn and update ourselves) but I have with people with totaly fixed minds that after basic explanation still stuck in their incomplete views.

People should ask themselves the question:
What is the way to follow to get the best product that match my requirements, personal preferences, etc?
Instead of asking for the best this and that without any reference. For recommendations you need to have a certain input. Getting direction is the first step. Thats only a start btw. Being succesful is a choice. Choices need to be based on something, recommendations too . . .

Have a nice day. :wink:

SL1

by SL1

BRM wrote:How does it come that you after my explanation you still reject the basics of choice and recommendations?
First things first, use your brains. Try to find parameters for choice, then try.

You make many mistakes in you post.
His criteria is not light an"d inexpensive, he talks about comfort. You missed the most importent parameter. It says something about your approach and the way you interpretate a question. Comfort will be achieved by the right fit/match with rear end. You also seems to never heard of elemination format in making choices. The 50/50 idea is grabbed out of thin air too. Calculation based on nothing.

"Its up to him what he dicides and not you." Just another stupid view on the matter.
I dont said one should not experiment with saddles. Its your limited view on my words that set you on the wrong foot.

How does it come that after my info you still don't see that for recommendations you need reference.
It's not an option but a necessity when you want to give a recommendation with is from any value.

Bikes evolve, cycling evolves, information is evolving but lots of people still follow stone age ways when they are out on a new products. It's time for people here to see the incompleteness in their thinking. Talking about high end equipment, teling themselves they are busy on advanced levels, think their talking and sdiscussion are on advanced levels. Often not true at all. Intelligent people/advanced thinkers use systems in their thinking, follow well thought out formats and never blindly follow only trial and error ways.

I dont have a problem with people that have a lack of insight or knowledge (we all need to learn and update ourselves) but I have with people with totaly fixed minds that after basic explanation still stuck in their incomplete views.

People should ask themselves the question:
What is the way to follow to get the best product that match my requirements, personal preferences, etc?
Instead of asking for the best this and that without any reference. For recommendations you need to have a certain input. Getting direction is the first step. Thats only a start btw. Being succesful is a choice. Choices need to be based on something, recommendations too . . .

Have a nice day. :wink:

What key information exactly will any reference provide to this thread ? Please do tell. My ears are ready. Tell us about all the special properties of various saddles that makes each one oh so unique to the individual. And the utter dire consequences of getting it wrong ? There is no fool proof method of using any reference or further more any guarantee that any other recommendation in this thread that is based on any missing 'data' or 'parameter' is going to be a perfect match. It simply cannot be calculated into a single choice of model. However 'intelligently' you think you need to approach it. My recommendation above is as good as any other. But it also has no significance. the OP can decide to use it or not. It was merely a suggestion. Not a command. So there is no need for you to call it out. There is nothing wrong with trial and error when it comes finding the right saddle. Infact i encourage it. It's the only way to truly know what will work for you. Saddles are not that complicated. You either like or you don't. It's either comfortable or it's not. The process doesn't have to have involve space age thinking. You cannot 'know' or predict a saddle will work based off the properties of another. But i suppose you can blindly guess at it with unproven methodology if you so wish.

BRM

by BRM

How does it come you are not aware of the differences of saddles? I dont need telling you all this. I dont need to come with mentioning for every saddle the properties. You turn things around. The approach is simple.
The TS has to map what he requires by examing himself first. After that he can ask recommendations in a particular direction. The current route is simply a to wide question and everyone will understand. (well normal people do)

You don't understand anything of my text what says that there are formats to success. Formats to make beter choices. You cant understand.

You show as a type that never learns. Hold on to your thoughts I don't spoil energy anymore on types like you. Wasted energy, talking to a wall is more fun. The TS comes with a wrong idea to ask for saddles without any info and people like you grab it and extend it with more low level talk with no base. Brainless.

I better skip topics like this. But then I need to skip 90% of the topics on WW. Too many people like you everywhere. Instead of valuable discussions your type is triggering conflict.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com