What do you think about my upgrades? (weight weenie on a budget)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

http://i63.tinypic.com/157ewjq.jpg

Have you had any help with fitting? Your saddle is sloping down which looks uncomfortable. At mininum you'd be sliding forward and having to support that weight with your arms or keep pushing yourself back. The saddle also is moved very far forward on the seatpost. The bars are also rotated up a lot which makes it looks like you are trying to shorten the overall reach of the bike. Do you have super long legs and short upper body?

zalle

by zalle

Got me there :D I just had a bike fit after these pics hehehe

Anyway, the seat is sloping down for a reason, it's uncomfortable, but Specialized Romin Pro on the way...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zalle

by zalle

vejnemojnen wrote:how did you manage to get 47xx suifters to work with 67xx derailleurs? :) they use different cable pull than the previous iteration of shimano 10spd road..

I didn't... I'm returning it, and will get the RD6800SS :beerchug:

zalle

by zalle

I'm calculating weight of everything, and it seems that the FACT 8 frame on the SL4 Roubaix weighs 1200g, not 1250g as I've been told around here. Small difference I know, but I don't see it weighing more than 1200...

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

zalle wrote:I'm calculating weight of everything, and it seems that the FACT 8 frame on the SL4 Roubaix weighs 1200g, not 1250g as I've been told around here. Small difference I know, but I don't see it weighing more than 1200...

Weight is not the only aspect when it comes to FACT 8 -> FACT 9 -> FACT 10 -> S-Works

www.specialized.com/us/en/fact-carbon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

zalle

by zalle

Well... For my level fact 8 is more than enough. In fact, I probably don't even deserve it...

zalle

by zalle

SL1 wrote:That's some decent weight savings

Some recommondations

Replace your stock headset expander that probably weighs around 50+ grams with one of the J&L superlight expanders. Weight is 6.7grams
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-L-Carbon-Fo ... lKXW5Fc14g

Mine only weighed 27g... I'm only 20g lighter after this one... , :|

zalle

by zalle

Hi guys, so here's an update:

I broke a spoke of my Ksyrium, and it was really hard to find a replacement, because they are an old model. So I decided to sell them.

Bought a used set of very very light carbon wheels, bitex hubs, dtswiss sapin spokes (not sure about this... Maybe sapim spokes? Anyway, the guy who sold them to me believes the spokes are dt swiss sapin...), 25mm hubs, and they weigh around 1kg. They came with tufo tubulars.

Sold some original parts for 150€ to pay for some of my upgrades, but upgraded my allez as well:
Sold:
Tiagra chainset & front derailleur
11-32 heavy roubaix (dior) cassette
old allez wheels, brakes and dropbars (upgraded the allez with the new roubaix ones)

I also got a Romin pro saddle.

So the weight is down to 6830g without pedals. This still includes a heavy tiagra rear derailleur (277g). Still thinking if I should get the Ultegra 6800 and save 90g or get sram shifters and rear derailleur and save 300g.

They come with these hubs: http://3sixty5cycling.com/bitex-raf10-rar9-road-hubs/

nvroadie

by nvroadie

Very cool build! I highly recommend SRAM. The shifting is much crisper than Shimano, and like you said, it's a lot lighter. The best bang for your buck would be to gather Red 10 speed parts. Also, you could save some more weight with a Specialized carbon crankset, assuming this bike uses OSBB.

evan326

by evan326

nvroadie wrote:I highly recommend SRAM. The shifting is much crisper than Shimano, and like you said, it's a lot lighter.

You can say lighter, but you can't say much crisper than shimano. Each sram bike I've test rode felt like it was really light, also felt like I would break it if I touched it too hard. Made a lot of noise and just felt cheap.

Kraaf

by Kraaf

Nice bike!
The spokes can be DT Swiss, or Sapim, pick one :)
Just replace those Tufos as soon as you can and get something nice like Veloflex. It really makes a difference.
Like someone famous around these parts said: "Friends don't let friends ride Tufo's".

edit: try SRAM before you buy.
I love you guys. Seriously.

metalplease

by metalplease

Kraaf wrote:Nice bike!
The spokes can be DT Swiss, or Sapim, pick one :)
Just replace those Tufos as soon as you can and get something nice like Veloflex. It really makes a difference.
Like someone famous around these parts said: "Friends don't let friends ride Tufo's".

metalplease

by metalplease

That's a bit of an inspiration to read...very seriously thought out too...got me thinking about my bikes...

zalle

by zalle

Kraaf wrote:Just replace those Tufos as soon as you can and get something nice like Veloflex. It really makes a difference.

Ok, tubular newbie here... What's bad about tufos, and which Veloflex model should I look for? is 25c a good option?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kraaf

by Kraaf

Unless Tufo has drastically redesigned their tubulars revently; they can be very light, but don't have good rolling resistance and don't ride that comfortably. And that's separate from the issue that they're often mounted with tape (the horror) in stead of glue.
On Veloflex: Tons of information on them here if you search. I like the Carbons, they're 23mm. The Arenberg or Roubaix are wider and better suited to rougher surfaces (as you could guess). Vittoria also makes really nice tubs, though i haven't tried the graphene ones. Continental, generally speaking a bit harsher ride and more difficult to mount, but very good compound. Forgetting at least one obvious other brand, but it's late. Like I said, if you search on tubulars here, you'll get more than you bargained for.
I love you guys. Seriously.