Just got some used Mavic SL's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zalle

by zalle

Hi guys, I'm a weight weenie on a budget :)

My Axis 1 wheels weigh over 2kg, and I just got a pair of Mavic SL for a great price. They are the older silver model, with silver hubs, but they are great.

My issue is my bike is all black, and these wheels are silver, silver hubs, silver (polished actually) rims, and silver spokes... Very silver.

I really like the black SL's and I though of just painting mine the easy way, with matte spray + put new stickers. Not sure about the rims though, since they are polished.

Is this a bad idea? AND will it add any significant weight?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

Sure, go for it. I have a red hub on a front wheel I spray painted matte black. Looks fine.

McGilli

by McGilli

As long as you don't paint the brake tracks you're good.

A few years ago I was in exact same position. I had a track bike - all black - and these all silver wheels. I just wanted the spokes black.

So I bought a black paint pen.

I ten cut a tiny groove out of the tip of the pen - and I just had to run the paint pen up and down the spokes and they were painted perfectly - no spraying - no mess....

If you can get a paint pen from a craft store etc then I recommend that for the spokes.... It's great too for touch up if you get ricks chipping the spray paint off...

But if you are doing the entire wheel actually - then you might just be thinking of spray bombing the whole thing. Again, just tape off the brake tracks...

zalle

by zalle

I painted them matte black today, but not the rims. They look pretty slick.

Braking is noisier... What can it be? I had new wheels, these are older wheels, is it because the brake tracks are worn? Should I sand them down?

zalle

by zalle

Oh, the paint added less than 2grams on each wheel...

AJS914

by AJS914

Try cleaning the brake tracks and angle/toe-in the new brake pads a tiny bit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com