How to lighten up my 2015 Supersix Evo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nvroadie

by nvroadie

Hi all, I have a 2015 Supersix Evo, and would like to get it below 6.8kg. Image

Current Build:
Frame: Supersix Evo with stock headset, derailleur hanger

Shifters: 2013 SRAM Red 10sp- 275g

Front derailleur: SRAM Red Yaw- 76g

Rear derailleur: SRAM Red 10spd- 146g

Crankset: SRAM Force 22 with FSA chainrings- 656g

Cassette: Shimano Ultegra- 215g

Chain: SRAM Red 10spd

Brakes: SRAM Rival- 278g

Bars: Bontrager Race Lite Aero- 335g

Stem: 3T ARX-PRO- 134g

Seat post: FSA SLK: 174g

Saddle: Specialized Toupe- 176g

Wheels: Chinese Zipp 303s- 1501g

Tires: Specialized S-Works Turbo- 225g

Tubes: Vittoria Latex- 62g

Skewers: Mavic- 115g

Carbon headset spacers: 22g

FSA Compression plug/top cap- 47g

SRAM Garmin Mount: 20g

Fizik Bar tape: ?

Ultegra 6800 pedals: 255g

I am looking for new bars currently, as well as waiting for a compression plug/top cap. There are also Ti stem bolts on their way. I am also getting Si cranks. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

First off, nice bike! Just as a way to kick this off for you, I think we'll all need to know how much the bike weighs now as playing the deduction game will be easier than having to "assume" what your bike weighs now.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nvroadie

by nvroadie

Silly I forgot that, it's 7.25kg.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Holllowgram SiSl2 cranks would make a big difference. Also removing those decals off the rims would be a good start. :wink:

nvroadie

by nvroadie

The SiSL2 is out of my price range right now. I am getting the Si from a friend at a great price, but they have the FSA rings which came out at 200g for the set, what is the best light chainring set?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

My 3T Ergonova 40cm width bar is 194g. So you need to go to a carbon bar which is not cheap but essential if you want to save a lot of weight. The cheapest of all upgrade is probably the Uno stem. My Uno 100mm stem comes in at 96 grames with Ti bolts. The cost is around $25 plus Ti bolts. I looked at everything else on your list and I can't find any low-hanging fruits. Recently I swapped out my Extralite Aliens 4 QR as it doesn't have enough clamping force. So some components it's better to keep it in stock form despite the high weight as some lightweight components just don't work, period.

nvroadie

by nvroadie

pdlpsher1 wrote:My 3T Ergonova 40cm width bar is 194g. So you need to go to a carbon bar which is not cheap but essential if you want to save a lot of weight. The cheapest of all upgrade is probably the Uno stem. My Uno 100mm stem comes in at 96 grames with Ti bolts. The cost is around $25 plus Ti bolts. I looked at everything else I can't find any low-hanging fruits. Recently I took out my Extralite Aliens 4 QR as it doesn't have enough clamping force. So some components it's better to keep it in stock form.

Definitely agree that some components need to be left as is. I've been wondering how the Kalloy performs stiffness wise. I like the weight, but don't want an aluminum noodle.

nvroadie

by nvroadie

Found these on EBay, would have to wait for them to come from Australia, but the price is nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272123956551

glepore

by glepore

Red cranks(sorry, just saw that you are getting si's-look at praxis, they work)
Chinese xpresso pedals-$75 and 155g.
Cannondale expander or j&L extralite knockoff-will save 30 g easy
seatpost-cut hylix is around 100g, easy 70g savings
Brakes Planet x are serviceable if you're under 80 kg and will save close to 100g
I love mavic skewers but lose them for some chinese tune knockoffs at 40g, another 80 gone
Yes, the bars are anchors, any light carbon bar should be more like 200-250.
shorten the cable loop at the rd for 10 free grams
Sram red cassete-ok, pricey but much lighter and very serviceable
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

nvroadie

by nvroadie

glepore wrote:Red cranks(sorry, just saw that you are getting si's-look at praxis, they work)
Chinese xpresso pedals-$75 and 155g.
Cannondale expander or j&L extralite knockoff-will save 30 g easy
seatpost-cut hylix is around 100g, easy 70g savings
Brakes Planet x are serviceable if you're under 80 kg and will save close to 100g
I love mavic skewers but lose them for some chinese tune knockoffs at 40g, another 80 gone
Yes, the bars are anchors, any light carbon bar should be more like 200-250.
shorten the cable loop at the rd for 10 free grams
Sram red cassete-ok, pricey but much lighter and very serviceable

Thanks for your help. The J&L plug looks promising, do you have experience with it? Tried several that wouldn't grip. Going to get Zipp aero skewers at 55g, people say that they are incredibly stiff. Can you recommend any good chainrings?

istigatrice

by istigatrice

nvroadie wrote:Found these on EBay, would have to wait for them to come from Australia, but the price is nice.

If you visit their webstore (bikebug) you might be able to get free shipping! I know for people in Australia they do free shipping from their webstore but not their eBay store.

And second what most people have said, particularly with the skewers, bars, cranks, stem. If you're willing to go carbon tubulars there's another 300-400g to be had from the wheels too.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

nvroadie

by nvroadie

istigatrice wrote:
nvroadie wrote:Found these on EBay, would have to wait for them to come from Australia, but the price is nice.

If you visit their webstore (bikebug) you might be able to get free shipping! I know for people in Australia they do free shipping from their webstore but not their eBay store.

And second what most people have said, particularly with the skewers, bars, cranks, stem. If you're willing to go carbon tubulars there's another 300-400g to be had from the wheels too.

Thanks for the tip! The carbon bars would be a stretch, let alone the shipping. I'm going to check out some 38mm deep tubs!

istigatrice

by istigatrice

If you can't afford the carbon bars there are some reasonably light alloy ones too, can't remember off the top of my head so may need others to chime in, but IIRC the Deda Zero100 RHM bars are reasonably light for alloy.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

nvroadie

by nvroadie

Has anyone got actual weights of the Fizik Cyrano R3 Bars?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

No stiffness issue with the Kalloy Uno stem. I did have the 3T ARX Team stem and the ARX is definitely stiffer. But the Uno is just fine....after a few rides I don't really notice any difference. By the way the stem in your picture doesn't look like a 3T ARX. Also, what's a Chinese Zipp? Lastly, the steer tube expander plug is something I wouldn't want to save weight on. You need an expander that's deep enough to cover the entire length of the stem clamp. The job of the expander is to prevent the steer tube being crushed by the clamping force of the stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com