SpeedX Leopard Pro gets 1 star from BikeRadar

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
CPongpanich
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:36 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK / Bangkok, Thailand

by CPongpanich

Finally, BikeRadar has published a review of the SpeedX Leopard Pro and gave it only 1 star.

Here's the link to the review:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/speedx-leopard-review-50723/?utm_content=bufferc3870&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Anyone has first hand experience with the bike? Let's share your thoughts.

User avatar
Stolichnaya
Posts: 2615
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:55 pm
Location: Vienna, AUT

by Stolichnaya

The brand name and model name are worth a star reduction each.

by Weenie


Shrike
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:08 pm

by Shrike

Never got the X naming idea. Like Planet X. Goofy as hell. Why not spend a few hours thinking of a decent name.

"Anyone got an idea for a brand name?"

"Goat X"

"Oh nice one Barry, we'll go with that."

1 star seems a touch harsh here though. There was a comment that saying would it have had a 1 star if it had a big brand name on it - I actually think it wouldn't. Maybe more of a 2 star bike.

Would be naive to not understand the relationship between established brands and reviewers. There's no such thing as impartiality here. Very little room for it, no matter how hard they'll try and sell their independence to you.

pizzayum
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:20 pm

by pizzayum

I do not know why they would spec such heavy wheels. Yes they are aero, but an alu rim at the depth is a bad idea. I wonder how the top of their line does with their carbon wheelset.

wingguy
Posts: 3668
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

Shrike wrote:Would be naive to not understand the relationship between established brands and reviewers. There's no such thing as impartiality here. Very little room for it, no matter how hard they'll try and sell their independence to you.

BikeRadar have probably had more articles on the Leopard-X than I've seen them do on any other single bike, let alone one that isn't even released yet, and up until now they've been entirely uncritical - basically just parroting the marketing spiel.

But really, is anyone surprised that the bike is rubbish? Carbon, aero, 105 and a whole bunch of brand new electronic hardware and software for that price? It's impossible to do all that and be remotely competitive on quality and performance. If it didn't have the integrated 'smart' gimmick (and I honestly don't know why people want their bike to be locked into proprietary hardware and software anyway) then no-one would expect it to be any more than a cheap and cheerful bike and a cheap and probably rubbish GPS. Why expect it to be greater than the sum of those parts just because they've been smooshed together? :noidea:

User avatar
ms6073
Posts: 2372
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

by ms6073

Shrike wrote:Never got the X naming idea. Like Planet X. Goofy as hell.

Topic drift, but maybe the founder of Planet X has some geeky affinity for sci-fi and was referencing content from 'The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension!'. :beerchug:
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

Valbrona
Posts: 1482
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:25 am
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

They need not change the bike to getter a better review. Just place some advertising with BikeRadar.

User avatar
Stolichnaya
Posts: 2615
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:55 pm
Location: Vienna, AUT

by Stolichnaya

ms6073, you did not just reference Buckaroo Banzai. Hahaha!
Brilliant.
Still got that on VHS somewhere. :thumbup:

User avatar
stockae92
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:13 pm

by stockae92

I am not surprised. They also tried to release a smart carbon MTB hardtail with 26" wheels ... it would have been great if this is 1999 ...

g32ecs
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:50 am

by g32ecs

wingguy wrote:
Shrike wrote:Would be naive to not understand the relationship between established brands and reviewers. There's no such thing as impartiality here. Very little room for it, no matter how hard they'll try and sell their independence to you.

BikeRadar have probably had more articles on the Leopard-X than I've seen them do on any other single bike, let alone one that isn't even released yet, and up until now they've been entirely uncritical - basically just parroting the marketing spiel.

But really, is anyone surprised that the bike is rubbish? Carbon, aero, 105 and a whole bunch of brand new electronic hardware and software for that price? It's impossible to do all that and be remotely competitive on quality and performance. If it didn't have the integrated 'smart' gimmick (and I honestly don't know why people want their bike to be locked into proprietary hardware and software anyway) then no-one would expect it to be any more than a cheap and cheerful bike and a cheap and probably rubbish GPS. Why expect it to be greater than the sum of those parts just because they've been smooshed together? :noidea:



I dont think the bike was targeted for those people like us who visit WW. I THINK it's more positioned for the so called Freds or the pure non-racing weekend warriors.

If anything I think it's a good attempt. At the very least they made a stiff frame (can you imagine if it was so flexy?). I personally ride my aero bike most of the time and have accepted the fact that it won't ride as smooth as my other bike. It's something to be expected of an aero bike though I'm aware efforts have been made to have a smoother ride (I heard the new Foil has a plushy ride compared to the previous gen).

SpeedX can learn a lot from this although their PR team is probably losing sleep at the moment. BikeRadar has a long reach within the cycling community in NA and EU.

SergeduTemps
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:53 am

by SergeduTemps

Valbrona wrote:They need not change the bike to getter a better review. Just place some advertising with BikeRadar.


Or contact GCN, to do a 'review'.

User avatar
cyclespeed
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:45 am

by cyclespeed

SergeduTemps wrote:
Valbrona wrote:They need not change the bike to getter a better review. Just place some advertising with BikeRadar.


Or contact GCN, to do a 'review'.


Be careful with that, they have a video out there telling you to screw in the front mech (Di2) support screw to adjust the low stop.

And if you do that of course, you are liable to push the support screw through your frame. Nice!

cyclenutnz
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:18 am
Location: Cambridge, New Zealand
Contact:

by cyclenutnz

g32ecs wrote:
I dont think the bike was targeted for those people like us who visit WW. I THINK it's more positioned for the so called Freds or the pure non-racing weekend warriors.



Not really - the geometry is suited for super low race positions. Not fred at all. However, I agree that the marketing is definitely aimed at those who wish to look the part instead of choosing the right bike for their needs.
http://www.speedtheory.co.nz
http://www.velogicfit.com - 3D Motion Capture and Frame Finder Software

CPongpanich
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:36 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK / Bangkok, Thailand

by CPongpanich

cyclenutnz wrote:
g32ecs wrote:
I dont think the bike was targeted for those people like us who visit WW. I THINK it's more positioned for the so called Freds or the pure non-racing weekend warriors.



Not really - the geometry is suited for super low race positions. Not fred at all. However, I agree that the marketing is definitely aimed at those who wish to look the part instead of choosing the right bike for their needs.


I think because it has a super low geometry doesn't necessarily mean they targeted racers. There are a lot of people who like to have a bike with super aggressive geometry just for the sake of having it because it looks cool. That's why we see a lot of people riding top-of-the-line race bike with ridiculously high and positive angled stems.

by Weenie


cyclenutnz
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:18 am
Location: Cambridge, New Zealand
Contact:

by cyclenutnz

CPongpanich wrote:I think because it has a super low geometry doesn't necessarily mean they targeted racers. .


That was my point. Basically they have no idea what they're doing. Built a bike with features for the mass market but made it super low and hard to adjust - ie not suited to the mass market. That didn't stop a lot of people who don't know otherwise from giving them money so the company will profit despite incompetence.

The bikeradar review just demonstrates that the bike is even worse in practice than it was in theory.
http://www.speedtheory.co.nz
http://www.velogicfit.com - 3D Motion Capture and Frame Finder Software

Post Reply