Race Clincher Tyre

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

oraclesin wrote:how about Pirelli P Zero Velo Road Bike Tyre

look like a good~!

We've got those in the shop now. Very light and the casing is incredibly supple for a vulcanised tyre. Much softer than a GP4k. I can certainly believe that their claims of grip and rolling resistance are on point.

Outside of race use I'd wouldn't hold up too much hope of durability and puncture resistance though...

eyedrop

by eyedrop

There is nothing faster than the Conti Supersonic 23c IMO. The only tire that beats it in rolling resistance is the Vittoria Corsa Speed. But it also weighs 60g more per tire... I prefer the significant weight savings vs. the minor RR penalty.

Actually, forget everything I said. Its supposed to be a secret :D

3Pio

by 3Pio

eyedrop wrote:There is nothing faster than the Conti Supersonic 23c IMO. The only tire that beats it in rolling resistance is the Vittoria Corsa Speed. But it also weighs 60g more per tire... I prefer the significant weight savings vs. the minor RR penalty.

Actually, forget everything I said. Its supposed to be a secret :D

Now im sorry that most of the season i was riding Vittoria Corsa G+ tires which are very heavy (265 gm for 25mm tire), vs Continental 4000 SII 23mm which is 204 gm per tire..Definetely Conti's here are much faster then Vittoria's (maybe next time i'll try with 23mm Vittoria's instead of 25mm)

But ok, i learned my lesson to dont ride heavy tires anymore :) And for now i prefer feeling that i got from 4000 SII 23 mm tires.. I can feel the surface, how bike react vs dull and dead feeling of Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Just use the Corsa Speeds with a tube if you can't run tubeless...or you know, convert to tubeless and run 30g x2 of sealant. That 7.7w x2 of rolling resistance cannot be overcome by 11.2w x2 minus the weight savings. Also it's going to come down to which tire has the least overhang on your rims. Aero, Crr and weight in that order when comparing those tires.

apricotwalnut

by apricotwalnut

VITTORIA CORSA G+ CLINCHER GRAPHENE ROAD TYRE
it's really valuable and tire have good quality
but only one thing everyday have to pump

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

jorryt wrote:Vredestein senso corsa supperiore has great grip

Are you riding these? I am interested in them.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

I've been using Corsa G+ on one set of training wheels and Michelein Comps on another. The Corsa tyres just don't last. Both are good tyres though. My next road race I'm going with the Michelin's.

I race TTs on the Cross Speed tubs. But they are are fragile tyre and wouldn't want to use them for road racing (even the clincher version.)
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

Pokerface07 wrote:I've been using Corsa G+ on one set of training wheels and Michelein Comps on another. The Corsa tyres just don't last. Both are good tyres though. My next road race I'm going with the Michelin's.

I race TTs on the Cross Speed tubs. But they are are fragile tyre and wouldn't want to use them for road racing (even the clincher version.)

Are you saying that you get more miles out of the Power Comps than the Corsas, or that the Corsas are more fragile and therefore don't last? I read that the Power Comps are notably more fragile than the Corsas or the previous Pro4 SC.

Thenuge

by Thenuge

Are latex tubes on carbon clinchers ok to use?

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

Thenuge wrote:Are latex tubes on carbon clinchers ok to use?

From all of the research I have done, the answer to that is: it depends where you ride.

If you are riding mostly on flat land, where braking won't be happening too much, and on your own (not in a bunch where you will brake more often) then it is OK.

IF you are on hills, riding in clubs, in bunches, or even in pairs, or in any situation that requires you to brake relatively frequently...the answer is a solid, undeniable, NO. It will be very unsafe and you risk serious injury if you have a blow out on your front tire. This is regardless of whether you follow due protocol on braking pads, technique and so on.

Latex does not go well with carbon clinchers.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

possibleweenie wrote:
Pokerface07 wrote:I've been using Corsa G+ on one set of training wheels and Michelein Comps on another. The Corsa tyres just don't last. Both are good tyres though. My next road race I'm going with the Michelin's.

Are you saying that you get more miles out of the Power Comps than the Corsas, or that the Corsas are more fragile and therefore don't last? I read that the Power Comps are notably more fragile than the Corsas or the previous Pro4 SC.

I've been getting better mileage out of the Comps. And have have had 2 sidewall failures on Corsas now. Also noticed the tread area on the Corsas goes quite 'flat' and wears down easily. I still like the Corsas though, but the rolling resistance tests seem to indicate the Comps are a bit faster?
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

Rubik

by Rubik

I've always used latex in my carbon clinchers. No issues, including elite nats road race which was like a 4 hour crit. Wore halfway through a brand new pair of brake pads in that one race alone, so suffice to say I was braking very hard quite a bit.

I've ran gp 4000s the last three seasons. Decided to try the "faster, lighter, and better rolling" Michelin Power Comps right before some big crits. First crit on them I jumped across to a break and took a corner hot like I'd normally do, only to have my front wheel lose ground contact and skip and then I went sideways into a curb. Suffice to say I switched back to my GP4000s right after that race and haven't had an issue since. Simply nothing I've ridden that holds grip in aggressive cornering like those do.

For road races and TTs, I'd probably roll with the power comps if I had another pair of race wheels and didn't have to switch tires, but for my purposes, I'll be on GP4000s for next season, too.

Rubik

by Rubik

possibleweenie wrote:
IF you are on hills, riding in clubs, in bunches, or even in pairs, or in any situation that requires you to brake relatively frequently...the answer is a solid, undeniable, NO. It will be very unsafe and you risk serious injury if you have a blow out on your front tire. This is regardless of whether you follow due protocol on braking pads, technique and so on.

Latex does not go well with carbon clinchers.

I don't know a single person that has experienced what you just described. Could be I ride with the luckiest people in the world, but probably not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

Pokerface07 wrote:
possibleweenie wrote:

I've been getting better mileage out of the Comps. And have have had 2 sidewall failures on Corsas now. Also noticed the tread area on the Corsas goes quite 'flat' and wears down easily. I still like the Corsas though, but the rolling resistance tests seem to indicate the Comps are a bit faster?

I see. Well, I am looking into getting a supple ride more than a fast tire. I have also become a bit of a sucker for the gum/tan wall because I have seen photos on how they look on matt black bikes and I am liking that look becaue I have a full matt black bike.

One solution I am thinking of using is latex with sealant, which apparently mate very well. In any case...

Two tests (bicyclerollingresistance and bikeradar with wheelenergey lab) confirm that Schwalbe Pro One and Michelin Power Comp are as fast as each other, with the Michelin winning in one lab and Schwalbe winning on another. On that same note, the fastest possible tire, and also likely to be supple and beautiful but infamously frail, is the Corsa Speed TLR tubeless only available in 23c. If you are racing, the Corsa Speed TLR is about 25% faster than either the Power Comp or the Pro One. So yes, you are riding on one of the fastest clinchers around already.

Do you find the Power Comp to be as supple/smooth as the Corsas? Are they comparable or is it like night and day?