Anything better than the caad for an alloy frame? Cinelli?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Multebear wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:
It's a different type of ride (of course, given it's a different material) to the Evo. But to say it's 'not as compliant' is selling it short. To the point where I'll disagree. It's also more than a winter or training bike. My CAAD10 is my race bike. And if it's fine for me to pilot through a Melbourne to Warrnambool (280km race) then I really cannot think of many more tests it might need to pass to prove it's better than some carbon bikes (some of which I have owned).

I sold my Caad 10 a couple of months ago, because it wasn't as compliant as my Supersix Evo Hi-Mod. My back was aching after longer rides on the Caad, that isn't the case with my Supersix. Maybe your back is stronger, or maybe you don't have a Supersix to make a comparison. I've done at least 10k km on both of them in the same period of time. Some days I rode the Supersix and some days I rode the Caad. I mostly rode the Caad on weekdays, and the Supersix in the weekends while racing. But if the weather was perfect, I rode the Supersix on weekdays as well. I did a lot of switching back and forth between them. And I had the exact same settings on both. Same saddle, stem and bar as well. So to make a comparison between the two is pretty straight forward for me.

I'm not suggesting the Caad isn't a raceworthy bike, but it is more harsh than it's carbon brother.

Given I sold my S2 because it caused me lower back pain and I had the latest Super Six Evo Hi Mod to compare my CAAD10 to (I'm a freelance writer/bike reviewer) I'm happy with my feelings on the two. It's not gospel. It's a shame your CAAD10 seemingly beat you up.

Your last statement is also relative. And I expect some reading it will take it out of context. But this is the internet so happy to leave it be.

it depend on the size and configuration i guess, because on my size 50, it's much harsher than a carbon bike.
But other people that use bigger size said caad10 was comfortable...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Multebear wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:
It's a different type of ride (of course, given it's a different material) to the Evo. But to say it's 'not as compliant' is selling it short. To the point where I'll disagree. It's also more than a winter or training bike. My CAAD10 is my race bike. And if it's fine for me to pilot through a Melbourne to Warrnambool (280km race) then I really cannot think of many more tests it might need to pass to prove it's better than some carbon bikes (some of which I have owned).

I sold my Caad 10 a couple of months ago, because it wasn't as compliant as my Supersix Evo Hi-Mod. My back was aching after longer rides on the Caad, that isn't the case with my Supersix. Maybe your back is stronger, or maybe you don't have a Supersix to make a comparison. I've done at least 10k km on both of them in the same period of time. Some days I rode the Supersix and some days I rode the Caad. I mostly rode the Caad on weekdays, and the Supersix in the weekends while racing. But if the weather was perfect, I rode the Supersix on weekdays as well. I did a lot of switching back and forth between them. And I had the exact same settings on both. Same saddle, stem and bar as well. So to make a comparison between the two is pretty straight forward for me.

I'm not suggesting the Caad isn't a raceworthy bike, but it is more harsh than it's carbon brother.

Given I sold my S2 because it caused me lower back pain and I had the latest Super Six Evo Hi Mod to compare my CAAD10 to (I'm a freelance writer/bike reviewer) I'm happy with my feelings on the two. It's not gospel. It's a shame your CAAD10 seemingly beat you up.

Your last statement is also relative. And I expect some reading it will take it out of context. But this is the internet so happy to leave it be.

it depend on the size and configuration i guess, because on my size 50, it's much harsher than a carbon bike.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

I have a Jamis Icon as my crit bike.
Tapered HT
PF30 BB
Full Carbon Fork
Claimed weight 1150g in 56cm.
Surprisingly comfortable ride. I've done a couple of centuries with no complaints.

Sizzler

by Sizzler

boysa wrote:I would be curious to hear what brand custom frames you had. I ask because I'm currently on a CAAD10 but looking at various custom options, hoping to further dial in the geometry and get some of the "snap" I feel the CAAD lacks. I don't think you'd be badmouthing those companies in any way, each one of us is entitled to his/her opinion.

I thought about this for a bit and decided I can't mention any names, and here's why: one of the two builders lives locally and I ride with him on occasion. His and other builder's livelihoods depend so much on the reputation they have on forums such as this one, and any comments that could be interpreted as negative can be disastrous to a small builder trying to make it. I don't know the other builder personally, but I extend the same to him.

I also don't think it's entirely fair to judge a custom frame builder against the likes of C-Dale, Trek and Giant. Custom aluminum builds will get you a lightweight, well riding frame with custom geometry and custom colors that will make your friends jealous. A production frame might be lighter and more tuned, but you won't have anything unique, if that matters.

I'm sure others will disagree with everything I just said, so before getting into it with me, remember this is all just my opinion.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I had a Cinelli a few years ago. The bike was SOLID! No give in the frame at all.

Bought a CAAD12 disc late last year and it's been ridden daily since. Absolutely amazing bike. Seriously, if I didn't already have my Cervelo S5, I would have saved myself a lot of money. The CAAD can do it all.

And it's a tough bike. After my bike crash with a taxi, the frame is warped but only by 4mm. Not bad for a 100kg rider travelling at 20mph and hitting a stationary car door.

Will definitely be buying another when I'm able to ride again.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

boysa

by boysa

@ Sizzler... I don't think comparing/contrasting bikes has to be negative. It's all in the phrasing. Nevertheless, I can accept your decision. Thanks.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

oldturd

by oldturd

I guess it'll come down to whether or not I am willing to lose that little bit of performance (subjective of course) since I'm already budgeting for a frame in that ballpark $... thanks again for the input.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

The CAAD is always seen as the gold standard in the aluminum/bang for your buck department, but I feel that the DSW Allez frame deserves to be along side it at the very list. This is my Allez... 15.6 pounds in this pic, 15.2 pounds as it currently sits with some new summer tires on it.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Hexsense wrote:it depend on the size and configuration i guess, because on my size 50, it's much harsher than a carbon bike.

My Google-fu is weak today, but am certain that went the CAAD10 was released Cannondale also spoke about how the tubing for the smaller sizes also changed. So that ride quality would still be in accordance with the rider profile.

Will stand corrected on this. Shame you didn't enjoy your CAAD.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

From my perspective, one has to mention the level of sensitivity, in grand scheme of things. Are you a sensitive rider or insensitive (e.g. can ride a double century on wooden bike and feel fresh). Due to lack of information, I take riders feedback with a grain of salt when keywords "harsh" and "aluminum" are mentioned.

Do everyone a favor and mention your level of sensitivity. Some of us make terrible test subject due to oversensitivity or simply the opposite.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

kervelo

by kervelo

With the current CAAD12 frame prices I think it would be a great choice also for a custom painted bike.

evan326

by evan326

ryanw wrote:Will definitely be buying another when I'm able to ride again.

Do you plan on getting another disc version?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

evan326 wrote:
ryanw wrote:Will definitely be buying another when I'm able to ride again.

Do you plan on getting another disc version?

Yep. looking at the new Dura Ace model coming out April / May time.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

evan326

by evan326

You mean one that comes with 9100, or another update to the caad12 already?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gsindela

by gsindela

CrankAddictsRich wrote:The CAAD is always seen as the gold standard in the aluminum/bang for your buck department, but I feel that the DSW Allez frame deserves to be along side it at the very list. This is my Allez... 15.6 pounds in this pic, 15.2 pounds as it currently sits with some new summer tires on it.

Second that Allez is up there with CAAD. Both fantastic.
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post