Anything better than the caad for an alloy frame? Cinelli?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sefton

by sefton

Caad?
Bowman?
Cinelli experience?

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Kinesis Aithein should definitely be considered.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

There are some amazing alloy frames out there, including custom frames from Gaulzetti, Zanconato, and so on. But the prices are double or triple what a CAAD12 costs.

If you are comparing stock alloy frames in the CAAD12 price range, you're going to find that there's quite a bit of variation in frame geometry. That may limit your choices. Beyond that, the CAAD12, to be specific, has an idiosyncratic bottom bracket setup that is a bit of a chore if you need different crank arm lengths or want to upgrade your cranks at some point. It's a great frame, a classic, though the -12's come with a 25.4 mm seat post and other minor oddities that you should check on and be ok with.

Clean39T

by Clean39T

A NOS CAAD10 would be the most user friendly - and they do exist..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Considered a Specialized Allez Sprint?

nemeseri

by nemeseri

There are two stock framesets very comparable to the caad: specialized allez smartweld and the trek emonda alr. Out of these platforms I would pick based on the intended use and geometry. The allez is long and low, the emonda is more like an endurance frameset. Caad is low, but it is available with shorter reach too.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Spooky 8)

Mackers

by Mackers

Giant TCR SLR

Nobody knows more about aluminum than Giant.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Canyon Ultimate Al, BMC Team Machine ALR are also worth a mention. IIRC Giant also does a Propel SLR in some regions if you want aero + alloy.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

Nothing beats rose for weight.
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

Canyon Ultimate AL. I have a CAAD 10 too but much prefer the Canyon. Geo suits me a little better. Toying with the idea of selling the CAAD10 and getting another Canyon just for the sake of it!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Isaac Graviton with an ultegra groupset.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Multebear

by Multebear

sefton wrote:

No, not really. Only different.

The Caad 10 is exactly as good as the carbon version Supersix Evo, it's just not as compliant. And a bit heavier.

martinko

by martinko

I've got Cinelli Experience 2014 in large (1387g+570g). It replaced my CAAD10 after crashing it and cost me half the CAAD10 price, so I tried it.
http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/the-other ... 2014-25950

It comes with alu/carbon fork though which is heavier and may not be that comfy as a full carbon fork that other frames come with.
Seatstays are more rigid than on CAAD10, probably less forgiving but I do not notice huge difference. I appreciated rigid seatstay since I dented CAAD10 seatstays in crash (but never crashed Cinelli).

What I do not like about Cinelli Experience is its geometry of Large frame. In comparison to medium frames they changed angles of both headtube and seattube. And that affects the handling as well, I think. I needed Large, but if you are lucky and need medium size, it is close to CAAD10 medium geometry, I wouldn't see any problem. Now, I have this frame packed back in the box and ready to sell it, since the geo does not suite me.

There is also Colnago Strada SL if you want to ride Colnago and don't have (don't want to spend) money on a full carbon one :)

wingguy

by wingguy

Multebear wrote:
sefton wrote:

No, not really. Only different.

The Caad 10 is exactly as good as the carbon version Supersix Evo, it's just not as compliant. And a bit heavier.

So, um, not quite as good then? :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com