Anything better than the caad for an alloy frame? Cinelli?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Broady

by Broady

Definitely look into Bowman, the updated frame looks amazing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Multebear wrote:I'm just saying, that it isn't as compliant as the Supersix. And since the two are made of different materials, but besides from that they are identical,

Yeah... for a very, very loose definition of 'identical'....

da123

by da123

de zwarten wrote:Kinesis Aithein (probably the lightest and still very very rideable for racing etc.)
Rose SL 3000 (too good for the money!)
Canyon ultimate AL (overall very good, but wouldn't be my first pic)
Specialized Allez smartweld (if you want something racy)
Colnago Strada SL (probably the most beautiful)

If you want something reasonably robust for racing, the Kinesis might not be it. A guy in my club had one. Very light for aluminum but he crashed it into a fence post on a ride we did a few weeks ago (went straight on at a corner trying to navigate a cattle grid). The frame split all the way through in two places on the top tube, and one place on the down tube. The section on the top tube came away completely and the bike fell in half. The aluminium is incredibly thin, to the point I don't think I'd be happy even sitting on the top tube for fear of causing damage. It was a pretty big impact, but everyone was amazed how badly the bike came out of it. On the basis of this, I don't think I would have confidence that it would last many road races, or even survive cack-handed baggage handlers.

Clean39T

by Clean39T

Multebear wrote:@ Tinea Pedis

I'm not in any way suggesting, that the Caad 10 isn't raceworthy or compliant at all. In fact, I love it, and I would buy it (or maybe a Caad 12) again, if it wasn't for my back problems, and maybe I will do it anyway despite my bach problems. And of all of the alloy frames out there, I wouldn't hesitate a second to recommend it to everyone interested in alloy frames.

I'm just saying, that it isn't as compliant as the Supersix. And since the two are made of different materials, but besides from that they are identical, this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. If you don't feel any difference between the two - I'm happy for you, that saves you a lot of money, but there may be a ton of reasons for that. But I feel a noticable difference to the extent, that my back at the end wasn't capable of riding more than two days in a row on the Caad. With my Supersix I'm able to ride five days in a row with no back issues. At the time with the issues I was around 90 kg's, maybe that's what made the difference. I don't know.

This thread is confirming I'm not crazy to be buying a CAAD10 to go w my last-gen SS Hi-Mod.. Figured I'd set them up identical and thrash the CAAD while my SS gets reserved for hill-climb races and special rides.

I sized down to a 58cm in my SS (just bought a few weeks ago NOS), but have a '14 Black Inc on order right now in a 60cm ($1,699 blow-out sale w Red22). I'm also sitting on a new 58cm CAAD10 frameset. I may end up swapping the color-matched green Red22 group from the 60cm to my SS, selling the DA off my SS, selling the 60cm frame, and putting Force22 on the 58cm. Or if the 60cm feels better, just keep that one and sell the other stuff. Yeah, I'm a little off my rocker ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Alumen wrote: I understand this probably could be the geometry as well.

True enough, geo plays a role. Then again, the S2 is more relaxed - even though I started with all my contact points the same and moved to being more upright in an attempt to relieve the back pain. Nothing worked. Changed back to my steel Baum, pain subsided. Back on the S2, it was back. It's not the most precise science but matter of elimination led me to flicking the S2 and going for the CAAD10. No regrets. Even though it's not aero (but ironically has seen the most wins I've had on a road bike).

Multebear wrote:If you don't feel any difference between the two - I'm happy for you

At no point did I say that. My first sentence in fact was

It's a different type of ride (of course, given it's a different material) to the Evo.

You're putting words in my mouth, so I'll be clear. The ride quality of a CAAD is, to me, exceptional. Given the material that it is made from and the history it - aluminium - has with being fabricated poorly (and resulting in a harsh riding bike). The ride feel of a CAAD is, of course, different to that of carbon. It's more direct. You feel more of the road. It does not have that muted feel that carbon brings. Some say it's more 'alive' and is part of the appeal of any alloy bike. Some interpret that as harsh.

For some like yourself, it seems to have resulted in a harsh riding bike. Not saying you are wrong. Only I find it interesting and it's a shame you no longer have the bike to look in to it further, as yours is not a common experience that I've found with CAADs. For the record, I'm laughed at locally for being a "carbon hater" as so many of my personal bikes are alloy (steel, alu or Ti) - only carbon bikes I tend to have are team bikes across the past 5 years (and those I get to review). So I take a keen interest in alloy and its relevance in modern riding/racing.

Again, you're not wrong. Just please, don't go misquoting me :wink:

And one other interesting anecdote. I loaned my black-on-black CAAD10 to a mate who needed a bike for a few weeks. It wasn't until a riding buddy asked him what he thought of aluminium that he even knew the bike wasn't an Evo. Given the CAAD10 was in grey, he missed that. And nothing in the ride quality had him thinking it was not a carbon bike (and certainly wasn't causing him any grief). Just a little more food for thought.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

To answer the OP - I love and collect Cinellis but I have to admit that the modern Cinelli road bikes do not hold a flame to those other bike manufacturers who have maintained a focus on road race bike design. Since taking over from Cino Cinelli Antonio Columbo's focus seems to be more and more on street culture, artwork and aesthetics rather than road racing performance. The CAAD is a classic and there are many other better modern takes on the alloy frame than a Cinelli.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

oldturd

by oldturd

Anyone know how Deddaccai aluminum frames perform as a brand itself? (versus others using their tubing)

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

No idea what you mean by "better."

I really liked riding my CAAD. Great, neutral geometry and stiff bb/chain stays. Cheap, too, so you don't care too much much about scratches and dings. With Hed Ardennes wheels I never found it harsh or punishing.

The Edmonda ALR is also quite nice.

I'd seriously consider an VYNL, too.

martinko

by martinko

VYNL - first, it was to see another brand producing aluminium frames in colors. But then I saw the price tag. Simply no, take a CAAD anytime for half or even third of that price.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Condor Italia RC - can be custom sprayed and custom geometry is available too. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oldturd

by oldturd

martinko wrote:VYNL - first, it was to see another brand producing aluminium frames in colors. But then I saw the price tag. Simply no, take a CAAD anytime for half or even third of that price.

do you happen to know of any differences in a handmade frame vs mass produced aluminum frame for performance? lots of vendors out there offering handmade aluminum frames that's priced much higher than a CAAD frameset. i'm trying to figure out the actual performance differences though.. reason is, i still want me a Spooky frame ... :|

Sizzler

by Sizzler

oldturd wrote:
martinko wrote:VYNL - first, it was to see another brand producing aluminium frames in colors. But then I saw the price tag. Simply no, take a CAAD anytime for half or even third of that price.

do you happen to know of any differences in a handmade frame vs mass produced aluminum frame for performance? lots of vendors out there offering handmade aluminum frames that's priced much higher than a CAAD frameset. i'm trying to figure out the actual performance differences though.. reason is, i still want me a Spooky frame ... :|

I'm probably going to sound like an ass for saying this, but from my experience a mass produced alu frame is nicer than a handmade one. Without mentioning any companies, I've owned two very nicely built custom alu frames and both were great. But, they were both limited to what the builder could do with fairly standard machining and tube shapes. The mass produced alu frames I've owned have been highly shaped, hydroformed tubes that are incredibly thin and optimized for power/comfort. The custom frames are cooler, yes, but they just don't have the technology that big brands offer.

oldturd

by oldturd

why would you sound like an ass for saying that? i havent found much reviews online other than the usual marketing stuff.. so appreciate the input.

do you still have the custom frames or are you back on a mass produced frame of some sort?

Sizzler

by Sizzler

Some people get bent out of shape (no pun intended) when you suggest a mass produced frame is better than a custom frame.

I have since sold them both, I replaced the first with a CAAD10, which I really liked but obviously not very unique. That's partly why I sold it but in retrospect that was stupid. The second custom frame I also regret selling because it was really, really cool.

I now have a Cannondale SystemSix, which is only 50% aluminum but performs better than the others in my opinion. Before I got the SystemSix I was between another CAAD10 or one of Spooky's new offerings from FTW, but ultimately didn't feel like paying that much for another custom alu frame when I felt that the CAAD has as much or more to offer at something like 1/5 the price. The SystemSix came up while I was looking for the CAAD.

boysa

by boysa

I would be curious to hear what brand custom frames you had. I ask because I'm currently on a CAAD10 but looking at various custom options, hoping to further dial in the geometry and get some of the "snap" I feel the CAAD lacks. I don't think you'd be badmouthing those companies in any way, each one of us is entitled to his/her opinion.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com