Shimano CS-9000 cassette vs. CS-9100?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

James0133

by James0133

eaglejackson wrote:
Dez33 wrote:
eaglejackson wrote:I have an Ultegra 6800 11-28 cassette too. What puzzled me though is something I ran into recently. I have DA cassettes on my 2 Parlee's (one is otherwise DA, the other Ultegra). I bought a direct-drive trainer, the Tacx Neo, that comes without a cassette. I put the unused Ultegra on the trainer and could not get it to be silent. I got plenty of chain noise in the middle cogs. I re-mounted, re-torqued, micro-adjusted the Di2 derailleur, futzed for over an hour, maybe 2, getting frustrated, but could not get the noise to go again. I pulled a DA cassette off a spare wheel, and it was silent. The DA and Ultegra cassettes should be totally interchangable, totally the same spacing, but I couldn't get the Ultegra one to be silent. Perhaps someone more skilled than I at rear derailleur adjustment could get it to work quietly. I could not.

I am going to put the Ultegra on the spare wheel and see if it's quiet on the road.

Missed this earlier.

This is a known issue with Ultegra cassettes, especially 11-28. Basically Ultegra cassettes do not run quietly with Shimano chains. I had exactly the same issues as you when I moved away from Dura-Ace cassettes.

The solution is to use a KMC X11-SL chain. Runs completely quiet again.

Ahh, thank you for the reply. Yes, I'm running an 11-28 cassette -- the quiet Dura-Ace one and the two noisy (new) Ultegra ones. I'll have to give the KMC chain a try.

I am going to try the Ultegra cassette on a wheel (C24) and see if it's noisy there. One would think so, and not just on the Edco freehub on the Neo, but worth a try.

I put the bike on a Kickr trainer yesterday at my local bike shop, which has an indoory Kickr cycling studio, and it was quiet. I should find out what cassette they are using. Unlikely it's a DA -- you wouldn't put ordinarily put a DA cassette on a trainer, but rather a much less expensive one.

Any resolution on this? I have DA 9150 and running a 9100 chain on a Ultegra cassette it is very loud in the middle/5 and 6 cogs. All the usual trimming and hanger straightening hasent helped. My 9000 chains always worked great and quietly with Ultegra cassettes in the past.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

James0133 wrote:
eaglejackson wrote:
Dez33 wrote:
eaglejackson wrote:I have an Ultegra 6800 11-28 cassette too. What puzzled me though is something I ran into recently. I have DA cassettes on my 2 Parlee's (one is otherwise DA, the other Ultegra). I bought a direct-drive trainer, the Tacx Neo, that comes without a cassette. I put the unused Ultegra on the trainer and could not get it to be silent. I got plenty of chain noise in the middle cogs. I re-mounted, re-torqued, micro-adjusted the Di2 derailleur, futzed for over an hour, maybe 2, getting frustrated, but could not get the noise to go again. I pulled a DA cassette off a spare wheel, and it was silent. The DA and Ultegra cassettes should be totally interchangable, totally the same spacing, but I couldn't get the Ultegra one to be silent. Perhaps someone more skilled than I at rear derailleur adjustment could get it to work quietly. I could not.

I am going to put the Ultegra on the spare wheel and see if it's quiet on the road.

Missed this earlier.

This is a known issue with Ultegra cassettes, especially 11-28. Basically Ultegra cassettes do not run quietly with Shimano chains. I had exactly the same issues as you when I moved away from Dura-Ace cassettes.

Ahh, thank you for the reply. Yes, I'm running an 11-28 cassette -- the quiet Dura-Ace one and the two noisy (new) Ultegra ones. I'll have to give the KMC chain a try.

I am going to try the Ultegra cassette on a wheel (C24) and see if it's noisy there. One would think so, and not just on the Edco freehub on the Neo, but worth a try.

I put the bike on a Kickr trainer yesterday at my local bike shop, which has an indoory Kickr cycling studio, and it was quiet. I should find out what cassette they are using. Unlikely it's a DA -- you wouldn't put ordinarily put a DA cassette on a trainer, but rather a much less expensive one.

Any resolution on this? I have DA 9150 and running a 9100 chain on a Ultegra cassette it is very loud in the middle/5 and 6 cogs. All the usual trimming and hanger straightening hasent helped. My 9000 chains always worked great and quietly with Ultegra cassettes in the past.

It's now silent. I tightened the cassette lockring down really hard and am using the KMC X11-SL chain. It's delightfully quiet now in all the cogs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Darceking

by Darceking

Dez33 wrote:

Missed this earlier.

Don't know if running KMC X11-SL is the answer either. I just purchased 2 x KMC chains ( GOLD ) and a brand new Ultegra 11-28 . . In the middle cog and the 2 below it, could not get it to run quite. Nothing the mechenic could do. Re-cabled the bike, did EVERYTHING. Replaced the chain to an Ultegra one and BOOM, noise gone..2 seperate bikes, both KMC chains, same wheelset.

Darceking

by Darceking

It's now silent. I tightened the cassette lockring down really hard and am using the KMC X11-SL chain. It's delightfully quiet now in all the cogs.

Interesting, how tight did you have to do it up ?

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

Darceking wrote:

Interesting, how tight did you have to do it up ?

I didn't use a torque wrench so can't give you nm. I tightened it pretty much as hard as I could with my cassette removal tool (Abbey Tools Crombie). I can't tell you if it was the tightening, or the chain, or both. Or the phase of the moon. But it's now silent and I'm happy.

James0133

by James0133

I'm not sure if the new Dura-Ace-XTR HG901 chains are just noisey but it's a little annoying.
I've put a new one on plus a new Ultegra cassette and it's a little better but still not great.

I might try some grease on the freehub splines and see it that helps dampen the noise. The DT Swiss freehubs are very soft and prone to damage from the cassette. The grease could help protect it a little too.