Northwave Extreme RR shoes 2017

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Anyone seen or worn a pair of theses slipper's ?

Look good.. just wondering if there was any real feedback...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eins4eins

by eins4eins

I'm using the extreme rr and also the xc for mtb, but the last year models. For 2017 I will definiatly get me a pair of those neon yellow 2017 RR's.

I like them a lot, as they fit my foot perfectly. In other shoes I always had the problem, that there was a lot of room over the instep and I couldn't get them tight enough for my liking. Not so with the Extremes.
Before I switched to NW I had a pair of s-works road shoes. After some months, the boa needed constant tightening during rides. It didn't need a lot of adjustments, not even a quarter of a turn, only a few mm. Maybe I'm finicky, but it was really annoying to me.
The Extremes are different. I tighten them and the tension doesn't reduce.

They are also super stiff, but I never put them on a scale.

Only negative for me: the release system of the boa closure. From other boa shoes, I'm used to lift the adjustment wheel or to turn it backwards to loosen them. The extremes have a small button you have to push (the small silver hook at the adjustment wheel) and sometimes, I can't get them off my feet as fast as I would like to.

Rev

by Rev

Whats the sizing like on the Extreme RR's compared to Sidi's for example. I understand Northwave typically runs a little wider than Sidi but from what I've managed to find with some quick googling, lengths can/have varied in the past.

FWIW, I wear a 44 in Sidi's (wire/ergo/genius/dragon) and wore 44 Nike's when they made cycling shoes. I haven't had any luck finding a store with them in stock to try on/buy, so online it is

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

eins4eins wrote:I'm using the extreme rr.......

Only negative for me: the release system of the boa closure. From other boa shoes, I'm used to lift the adjustment wheel or to turn it backwards to loosen them. The extremes have a small button you have to push (the small silver hook at the adjustment wheel) and sometimes, I can't get them off my feet as fast as I would like to.

Push the button to loosen in small increments, pull the button to loosen in big increments. Pull and hold it to loosen completely.

I think it's a better system than the Boa left and right as the constant turning seems to wear them out quickly.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Rev wrote:Whats the sizing like on the Extreme RR's compared to Sidi's for example. I understand Northwave typically runs a little wider than Sidi but from what I've managed to find with some quick googling, lengths can/have varied in the past.

FWIW, I wear a 44 in Sidi's (wire/ergo/genius/dragon) and wore 44 Nike's when they made cycling shoes. I haven't had any luck finding a store with them in stock to try on/buy, so online it is

This is based on Northwave Extreme 44s. Specialized and Shimano 44s fit me but I had to go up to 45 when I tried on Sidi Wires.
Last edited by 5 8 5 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrgray

by mrgray

these look amazing.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

gitsome

by gitsome

I have been wanting them too they look like the shoe ive been waiting for but hate to order something wout being able to try on first, cant find them anywhere... Similar sizing to sidis? Am i understanding?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

casper3043

by casper3043

mrgray wrote:these look amazing.

agree, these look great!

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Ok been on a pair now for a week or two .. very good. Nice fit and feel very stiff.

:up:

CampagnoloRules

by CampagnoloRules

Glory Cycles UK site says you should go 1/2 size larger than Shimano or Fizik for these shoes- don't know if that is truly accurate. I wear a 46.5 in Shimano and I will order a 47 for these Northwave Extreme RR. I'll let you know how they fit when they arrive.

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

CampagnoloRules wrote:Glory Cycles UK site says you should go 1/2 size larger than Shimano or Fizik for these shoes- don't know if that is truly accurate. I wear a 46.5 in Shimano and I will order a 47 for these Northwave Extreme RR. I'll let you know how they fit when they arrive.

That's an odd advice as find shimano sizing very different to fizik

wingguy

by wingguy

CampagnoloRules wrote:Glory Cycles UK site says you should go 1/2 size larger than Shimano or Fizik for these shoes- don't know if that is truly accurate. I wear a 46.5 in Shimano and I will order a 47 for these Northwave Extreme RR. I'll let you know how they fit when they arrive.

I guess it all depends on what you're used to. With new Fiziks I've gone 1/2 size smaller in the R1Bs than my usual sizing - so by extension I'd then assume that Northwave RR sizes are perfectly normal.

As always with shoes though, YMMV!

milesthedog

by milesthedog

Love those shoes! Is that dial made by Northwave? Any idea where it could be purchased on it's own (in bulk or a one-off)?

I've been in Simmons full custom carbon shoes for over a year now and swear by them - the comfort is just amazing. I can go out for all day rides with tons of climbing and my feet stay comfortable with no hot spots and they stay cool.

sznerchu

by sznerchu

Hi there.
Question.
I just got pair of them and they are almost perfect fit.
Will they give up a 3mm with time. I need them 3mm longer, stretch in length.

BRM

by BRM

You need to heat them up to 1200 C and then pull with high force on both sides.
Best is to take 2 fresh horses for that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com