Northwave Extreme RR shoes 2017

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nycebo

by nycebo

Justed ordered a pair in 44 EU. Wear a 45 EU in Sidi Wire but haven't really been that impressed with the shoe. Constantly have to tighten down their "BOA" and they are tight in the toebox. Very eager to see how the Extreme RR pans out.

martinPL

by martinPL

Just received few pairs of these. The shoes look great. Weight (size 43) 238 grams. Some sizing info FYI.

My foot feels best in:
Sidi Wire 42.5
Gaerne Chrono 43
Gaerne Stilo 42.5
Fizik R1B Uomo 42
Mavic Zxellium 42 2/3
Shimano S-Phyre RC9 43
NW Extreme 42
NW Extreme Road/MTB Winter 42 (with room for thicker sock)

In Extreme RR 43 I am perfect width-wise and have a little room in front of my toes (seems like the shoe is made unlike other NW shoes - now for longer and skinnier foot) - the shoe fits me quite well. Super snug feel throughout the foot. Heel cup inner fabric (directional fiber) is great - no slippage at all but the grab by the heel cup itself is perfect. The shoe seemed to be a bit bulky in the photos but in real life it's ultra slim. The shoes come with two types of inserts: standard and high volume. Will start testing the shoes today and will give them a good workout at the training camp this weekend.
One thing that might not be perfect - the finish. The matt leather suede like finish looks sick but how easy it is going to be to maintain - hmmm? The local Seattle weather will give it a good test :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JerryZ

by JerryZ

Martin, I'm also interested in getting a pair of these Extreme RR's. I have another pair of NW Road shoes about 8 yrs. old and 45.5 fits perfect. What size do you recommend for the ERR's? Thanks!

martinPL

by martinPL

JerryZ wrote:Martin, I'm also interested in getting a pair of these Extreme RR's. I have another pair of NW Road shoes about 8 yrs. old and 45.5 fits perfect. What size do you recommend for the ERR's? Thanks!

Jerry,
It is hard to say. Your 8 year old 45.5s are an indication you will be some place within 44.5 to 46.5 range - yes, this is a huge range. 2016 NW Extreme size 42 fit me perfectly and there is no way I can squeeze into RRs size 42; RR 43s fit me best. It really is best to buy the shoes based on a fit test. Or at least have a comparison to something quite new: for example it seems as 2015 Gaerne Chrono or 2016 Shimano RC9 are very similarly sized as Extreme RR.
Sorry I cannot be of more help.

martinPL

by martinPL

Just came back from a weekend of training rides where I did about 180 miles in brand new Extreme RRs. Overall the shoes are very good. Sole stiffness and foot wrap is excellent. The lacing system works very well. The foot is perfectly wrapped in the shoe and the power transfer to pedal is superb. We had light rain on of the rides and the shoe looked perfectly OK after getting wet and then drying. One thing to note - the edge of a "tongue" part of the shoe has harder edge and you can feel its pressure on the foot. This was not noticeable while on the bike but was bothering me while off the bike. I have a fairly standard foot shape; riders with high bridge might find it irritating.
Keepers for me.

martinPL

by martinPL

martinPL wrote:Just received few pairs of these. The shoes look great. Weight (size 43) 238 grams. Some sizing info FYI.

My foot feels best in:
Sidi Wire 42.5
Gaerne Chrono 43
Gaerne Stilo 42.5
Fizik R1B Uomo 42
Mavic Zxellium 42 2/3
Shimano S-Phyre RC9 43
NW Extreme 42
NW Extreme Road/MTB Winter 42 (with room for thicker sock)

In Extreme RR 43 I am perfect width-wise and have a little room in front of my toes

One more to add to sizing comparo:
2017 NW Evolution Plus 42

Looks like Extreme RR runs about 1/2 smaller than your typical NW.

martinPL

by martinPL

The shoes were exposed yesterday to torrential rain and mid 30F temps (yes, it still sucks here in Seattle area). I was pleasantly impressed how easily the dirt washed out (actually much easier than from any others I have had) and after drying out they are as good as they were - stiff and supportive. Lacing system continues to work as new.

Wet and frozen

Dry

BTW, I have no idea why the images post here upside-down :roll:

Rev

by Rev

I've had my Extreme RR's a couple of weeks now. Done a bunch of short commutes and one decent ride in some hills, and by and large I'm pretty happy with them. Coming from size 44 Sidi Wires, I went 44 in the Northwaves and they're a touch longer, and about the same width wise but might feel like they alow for a bit more volume in the top of the foot. I guess I could try the higher volume innersoles that come with them, but then they feel a little too squishy.

Since the cable has too pull through a bunch of loops, I've found it doesn't tighten down perfectly when I put them on at first, but walking around for a minute or 2 getting the bike out the door is enough to even the cable out to where I can tighten it down better. I haven't had the cable come loose at all during a ride yet.

Stack wise they're lower than the Sidi's - I've had to drop my saddle by 1-2mm to make up for the lower stack. They'd be lower again with the speedplay adapter. They're also a lot lighter than the Wires. Can't remember the exact figure, but it was somewhere around 70-80g lighter per shoe

htc

by htc

Just for reference - I’ve got these in a size 43 and they weight 570g with Shimano SPD red cleats attached.

Because the material is so thin they don’t feel like they will give you much support but the minute you get onto the bike they feel great. The Northwave dial works better than others I’ve used and allows you to adjust the fit by one click in either direction quickly and easily whilst riding. Really useful for longer rides in varying temperatures. When tightened up the shoe is super stiff and feels like it wraps your foot completely rather than like most shoes pulling down on the top of your foot towards the sole of the shoe.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

So I was pretty hot and bothered to purchase the 2019 Extreme Pro Road shoes but the only info I could find on sizing was through someone on this site who said that the Extreme RR was narrower then an earlier pair he had and that when he ordered the Extreme Pro in the same size that it was even narrower and shorter. I dont know why the sizing on shoes needs to be so mystical. At any rate they did have the weight of the Pro 260gr for a 42 which really turned me off. For the Extreme RR a 42 comes in at 243gr. and at the moment PBK has some smokin deals on the RR. So RR it is and I decided to go up by one whole size which I know will fit whereas I am not sure about the Extreme Pro. For some reason Northwave is not a popular shoe in my area and with all the searching on Google its not popular in North America.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

northwestern

by northwestern

I had a pair of these. The fastening system is a nightmare. I remember it was a nightmare to take them off.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

So I finally recieved my RRs in 44 and set them up with Speedplay and did a 4.5 hr ride with them. They are a nice shoe for sure and I used the low volume insole with enough room to run my ITS wedge. I did the usual insole mods for my left foot (removing front portion of insole) and grinding down the front portion of right insole for a lower profile which also gives more arch support. I think I could make the Pro work in a 44 but without the ITS wedge going back to cleat wedge. I didnt find the shoe difficult to put on or take off as long as you have all the slack thats available for the tongue. It is a fairly rigid sole and seems to be comfy enough for me.
Overall I am pretty happy with the shoe and its lighter than the Pro which is disappointing as I really prefer the double dials but this single on the RR seems to hold throughout the ride.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake