Anyone got experience with GoPros/Action Cams and mounts on the bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Picked up a GoPro Hero 5 and was simply going to get a K-Edge dual mount. I've read now that the GoPro can mess with the Garmin's GPS lock. Doesn't seem isolated either, seen a bunch of people on different review sections and GoPro's forums now saying this.

Also seen people complain about the footage being crap on Garmin's dual mount as it's not so sturdy.

Okay so, I'm stuck. Not sure what I'm supposed to do to get decent footage from it (roads here are rough, so want to give it the best start in life :o ). Is there really a difference between mounts in the quality of footage? Didn't think that'd be an issue personally..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

V-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-vvibration.
Especially on the mounts that cantilever out at the front. Like the k-Edge one.

I'd probably look at a dedicated mount thats a bit less bouncy.
Or a helmet mount, or top tube/headtube

Not had any issues with satellite lock or similar, even when connected to the phone/remote.

Shrike

by Shrike

Got frustrated looking at the infinite mounts and grabbed a K Edge out front and saddle mount. Suppose I can eBay if they're crap. Thinking about that helmet mount, like the idea of being able to direct the cam with my head!

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I used a Go PRo seatpost / handlebar mount in Majorca to film this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K93MyiVPWq0 (plus the longer 10 minute version).

I found that a) you had to tighten it REALLY tight with a screwdriver to stop the camera drooping down, and then b) on the 2nd day, the mount broke clean in half, plastic too weak.

So in the end, I just filmed by hand which was actually much better as you can almost eliminate vibration and point the camera wherever you want. It's also much smaller without the case. It just gets difficult filming fast descents one handed but other than that, fine!

Next toy will be DJI Mavic Pro drone!

MoPho

by MoPho

The K-edge is actually one of the best hard mounts, any vibration you get is transmitted by the bike, not necessarily because it is cantilevered off the front. With the older GoPro's (H4 and lower) you can counter this vibration by putting a neutral density filter on it which cuts the light causing the shutter to slow down and it gives it a smooth cinematic look and reduces the "jello effect". The Hero5 has built in stabilization which should reduce the vibrations, but a ND filter will still help a lot (though I am not sure anyone is selling one yet for the H5).
*note: you would need to remove the ND filter in low light

First I've heard of the camera interfering with a Garmin, but that might explain why my garmin went haywire one time when I used it on my K-Edge, but that was just once.

GoPro also has a new Pro Mount that is aluminum and offers some more flexibility, though I have not tried it yet http://shop.gopro.com/mounts/pro-handle ... M-001.html

Personally, I don't like helmet mount as the only view, you are always turning moving your head left and right and I find it annoying, good to supplement other footage though.

srshaw

by srshaw

K edge combined with garmin works well for me. It's great being able to overlay the metrics recorded on the garmin with the film from the go pro using virb edit.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I bought a cheap, generic K-Edge out front mount off Amazon or eBay. It worked fine, but it interfered with my PC8. I'm not sure if the metal had some magnetism in the metal or something, but I could not get consistent power readings. Once I removed the mount, everything was fine.

For my wife, who prefers Garmins, I bought the adapter to add the Go-Pro mount under her Garmin head unit. I don't think it has caused her any GPS problems, but she doesn't use the camera as much as I would like.

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks guys, I tested the K-Edge Go Big Pro Saddle Rail mount at the weekend with stabilisation on and it's really good! Shocked actually. Part of me thought the footage would be a horrible blurry mess.

Should have tested the front Go Big Pro Handlebar mount too but it was freezing on Sunday and didn't want to take the gloves off and take the little screw out and back in again. Which leads me to my next question. Has no-one designed some sort of quick release pin for these mounts. Say you've got 2 or 3 mounts and want to quickly move between them during a ride, no way to do that? The K-Edge screws are small hexy things. Need to use a tool to take off and on.

TonyM

by TonyM

Shrike wrote:Thanks guys, I tested the K-Edge Go Big Pro Saddle Rail mount at the weekend with stabilisation on and it's really good! Shocked actually. Part of me thought the footage would be a horrible blurry mess.

Should have tested the front Go Big Pro Handlebar mount too but it was freezing on Sunday and didn't want to take the gloves off and take the little screw out and back in again. Which leads me to my next question. Has no-one designed some sort of quick release pin for these mounts. Say you've got 2 or 3 mounts and want to quickly move between them during a ride, no way to do that? The K-Edge screws are small hexy things. Need to use a tool to take off and on.

What is your setting? Do you use a GoPro for the front or another GoPro for the rear or do you switch your Gopro between front and rear?

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

I've been pretty happy with my Barfly mount.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

Shrike

by Shrike

@Tony Just one GoPro that I want to somehow switch quickly between the front and rear mounts..

MoPho

by MoPho

Shrike wrote:@Tony Just one GoPro that I want to somehow switch quickly between the front and rear mounts..

You can buy another frame and switch the camera between the two.
http://shop.gopro.com/accessories-2/the ... M-001.html

Shrike

by Shrike

@MoPho Damn you and your problem solving skills :D

That's great cheers, silly I didn't consider that!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I've got a kegde mount attached to the bottom of a Fetha mount and a kegde mount before that. Used both hero 3s and the session 4 and no issues with vibration except on really rough roads..
A nice solid mount makes a big difference