Review of the Silca Super Pista Ultimate

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BRM

by BRM

gceniza wrote:
BRM wrote:
gceniza wrote: . . . . .I got sick of dealing with the junk pump head lever on the Topeak Joe Blow Pro pump (that I still paid $100 for) ... it kept leaking and bending my valve cores.

So the only thing you would have to do is replacing the head . . . . . .

So BRM your suggestion is to buy a high quality, heavy gauge chuck and screw it into the plastic threaded hose end of the Topeak? I chose to invest in something that I feel will last and not put more money into a cheaply built product. And the pump is something I use a lot every single day across the 10 bikes used by me, my wife, and my kids. The investment may not seem logical to some, but it sure does to me.

SKS Rennkompressor valve cost you 2,90 euro (without shipping) or just walk in your local dealer.
https://www.bike24.com/p218289.html

Btw a SKS Rennkompressor cost you around 50 euro.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I went for the standard Super Pista pump. Seems to be the same minus some of the bling of the Ultimate.

It is not just that the three other floor pumps I have are either beyond repair (an old and great Blackburn, a crappy Zefal and a complete garbage Topeak), but that none of them actually push or result in accurate pressure. The money I spent on the three I currently have, and am not satisfied with, could have been spent on one Silca.
I unfortunately will not have it in my hands will it gets couriered over or I make it to the States, but I am looking forward to having it.
If it really does what I expect and want, I will then take the other three pumps out to the backyard and recreate that printer scene from Office Space.

AJS914

by AJS914

My Silca track pump is 35 years old and still going strong. I've replaced the hose and maybe the leather plunger one time. The white threaded plastic shrunk and I have some blue tape holding it. I just upgraded the chuck gasket with the new 242 red one and it's a nice upgrade. I have prefered threadless tubes - like tubulars used to all be 40 years ago. Based on my experience, the threaded valves would ream out the Silca rubber washer.

Then, I found this graphic which was a revelation after 30 years of using a Silca pump. Basically, if you have a fresh gasket, the presta head should right on top of the valve and not be pushed farther down. Once you push it farther down, you ream out or widen the gasket and ruin it (and 10 times faster if you have a threaded valve).

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Lot of happy silca pump users. I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and I found it extremely noisy compared to my cheap specialized pump. It has a loud "PRRRRfffff" sound from the head. Anyone else have the same experience? Will it get better with time?

I have the new superpista.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

One more happy ultimate user here. It's an awesome pump, way better than SKS Rennkompressor etc.

sawyer

by sawyer

Joined two weeks ago and the first material contribution is to a big up an ultra high-end pump

Well, you might buy it, but I don't ... :roll:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

BRM

by BRM

JKolmo wrote:One more happy ultimate user here. It's an awesome pump, way better than SKS Rennkompressor etc.

Way better?
What is so way better then.
All you want to do is getting air in tires till a particular pressure.
Its only a pump, not a special tool. Air is air. When a rennkompressor is not working for you its you.

This silca is a hyped product for people that have too much money.
Personally I like good tools and often these come with a bit higher price and that is ok, but this whole new silca brand is something on my black list.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Sure, they both get the job done (so the rennkompressor works for me, I never stated the contrary). The silca is wonderfully overbuilt, and the quality feeling and presicion is worth the $$ to me. Sorry to offend you by liking a product on your black list. Peace.

boysa

by boysa

I had the same exact question: How is it "way better" than a Rennkompressor? I have the SKS, and while I'm not married to it, it is built like a tank. Curious how much better the Silca can be?
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

uraqt

by uraqt

I would like to say that I am shocked that people are attacking other people on the internet : (

You can try and trash talk the pump and the products at silca, but they know what they are doing and do it better than anybody... sure nobody needs a high end pump ( BTW silca isn't the only one making big $ pumps) but Silca Super Pista Ultimate is currently the best tool for the job.

You could argue if you wanted that we shouldn't be using air and that we should be using nitrogen and better PSI gauges but that costs even more than the Silca Super Pista Ultimate.

I guess that it would require that you really think about the topic, instead of just being negative and hurtful.

C

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Silca name bought by some guy in the US with $$$$ not all that long ago then he released this high end pump with some cool Raphaesque marketing? I've never used it and I'm sure it's great, but I'm not sure it's the same company it was years ago. But regardless, if you work on your own bike, or in this case fill up your own tires, good tools and accessories are almost as precious as the bike.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

commendatore

by commendatore

I bought a silca chuck for my cheap topeak. Overall I'm pleased with it, but the knurling on it is atrocious. It's sharp, abrasive and inconsistent. No where near normal hand tool quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glepore

by glepore

Former principal of Zipp. Nice products made obsolete by a cheap harbor freight compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

MikeD

by MikeD

AJS914 wrote:My Silca track pump is 35 years old and still going strong. I've replaced the hose and maybe the leather plunger one time. The white threaded plastic shrunk and I have some blue tape holding it. I just upgraded the chuck gasket with the new 242 red one and it's a nice upgrade. I have prefered threadless tubes - like tubulars used to all be 40 years ago. Based on my experience, the threaded valves would ream out the Silca rubber washer.

Then, I found this graphic which was a revelation after 30 years of using a Silca pump. Basically, if you have a fresh gasket, the presta head should right on top of the valve and not be pushed farther down. Once you push it farther down, you ream out or widen the gasket and ruin it (and 10 times faster if you have a threaded valve).

To their credit, Silca came out with a much more durable gasket. That Roman arch effect makes it very hard to pull the pump head off the valve, and that tears up the gasket too. Most of the Silca pumps I've used (including my own) have had leaky pump gaskets; a very frustrating experience.

thprice

by thprice

• Bought a cheap pump, the base is plastic, it flexes and feels like it will break very soon. That was 5 years ago, but still it works OK.
  • About 4 years ago I purchased a Silca (before Silca was sold). The base was cheap plastic, the chuck was crap. I returned the pump. Glad the buyout happened and the products once again reflect their heritage.
  • A while ago purchased a Lezyne, within 2 years the piston seal broke down, the gauge failed and the chuck leaked. I relpaced the chuck with the new model .. found it worse to use than their original design. I like most Lezyne products but they really need to improve the reliability of their floor pumps
  • To replace the Lezyne, I purchased a Rennkompressor. My eyesight is not great ... their gauge is tiny.. not the right choice for me.
Floor pumps should be user friendly and reliable, I cannot understand why so many manufacturers are unable to deliver this for $50.
Sorry Silca, I have an issue paying $300 for a pump but glad you are around and have happy customers
My hunt for the perfect pump continues :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com