Review of the Silca Super Pista Ultimate

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

uraqt

by uraqt

Also we should get our facts on cost correct ....

SuperPista Ultimate 450 USD
SuperPista 235 USD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

the super pista is a absolutely amazing pump to use.. you can keep every thing that lezyne and the rest make.. its seriously a next level pump..

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Ahhh, I just learned that I have too little brains and am not a real cyclist. Just for my own little brains interest: BRM have you ever tried or even seen a Silca Pista Ulimate IRL, or is it so that you just know these issues simple and plain?

BRM

by BRM

uraqt wrote:This is rich the guy bashing the silca pump thinks a "A porsche is much more than an ordinary car"..

Got to love the internet who needs facts.. this is my current favorite porsche issue..

Let build a car engine that is so bad that we can't fix it and have to completely replace it twice yes twice... pretty sure that means that they couldn't design it right the 1st two times.... oh and let put that engine in one of most expensive cars.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/some-porsc ... nes-again/

C

I have no issue if you don't see the value in the Silca pump, but please stop disparaging people who do.

You reveal you all are the same kind, including you.
The core of my message is not about Porsche at all, the core is about the total mismatch of the comparisons done here. I try to explain and give insight, you just walk away with the Porsche thing to do your own rant to that brand apparently. Your view is simply in the wrong direction.

Again the discussion level on WW is extremily poor. The most basic things are not understood. Says something about its members.

BRM

by BRM

sugarkane wrote:the super pista is a absolutely amazing pump to use.. you can keep every thing that lezyne and the rest make.. its seriously a next level pump..

It isn't its just bit more robust but a concept that is old and exists for decennia and decennia already. Nothing new, nothing advanced, nothing altered on the concept, no real clever updates/optimizations of the concept.

:roll:

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

BRM wrote:
uraqt wrote:This is rich the guy bashing the silca pump thinks a "A porsche is much more than an ordinary car"..

Got to love the internet who needs facts.. this is my current favorite porsche issue..

Let build a car engine that is so bad that we can't fix it and have to completely replace it twice yes twice... pretty sure that means that they couldn't design it right the 1st two times.... oh and let put that engine in one of most expensive cars.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/some-porsc ... nes-again/

C

I have no issue if you don't see the value in the Silca pump, but please stop disparaging people who do.

You reveal you all are the same kind, including you.
The core of my message is not about Porsche at all, the core is about the total mismatch of the comparisons done here. I try to explain and give insight, you just walk away with the Porsche thing to do your own rant to that brand apparently. Your view is simply in the wrong direction.

Again the discussion level on WW is extremily poor. The most basic things are not understood. Says something about its members.

Go back and read my posts. Most of the examples are bike examples. You are the one who zeroed in on Porsche, and people rightly pushed back.

Why should you really care if someone wants to spend $450 or $250 on a pump you don't see the value in? Or $2175 for Super Record, or $460 for a pair of bib shorts; or $120 for a skewer?

Actually it is you who are showing your lack of understanding, I am sorry to say. Companies build brands. They tell stories to enhance the perceived value or status or exclusivity of that brand and its products; some story about the craftsmanship or something that connects with people emotionally, that allows the company to differentiate their product from others on the market, and if they are successful, to charge a premium. You'll be faster, stronger, cooler, smarter, sexier, you'll have more fun, you'll be unique, you'll get additional satisfaction, whatever, if you buy that product. Whatever, dude, this is so basic, so pervasive, I am surprised you don't get it. It's just the same with pumps, frames, components, jerseys, bibs, shoes ($500 for a pair of cycling shoes), sunglasses, and on and on.

Porsche is a car, a nice car, an excellent car, but a car and there are lots of cars to buy. Porsche has done a particularly excellent job building status around Porsche that causes people to spend ridiculous amounts of money, to get on waiting lists, to buy their cars. Good for them. People feel good about themselves in their Porsches, some aspiration achieved, so be it.

What's the appeal of Campagnolo? People think they are a "real" cyclist, with Italian flair, you like the way it works and looks, a connection with cycling history; it gives you more legitimacy as a cyclist, or it is more beautiful, and you're a cooler person, you appreciate the aesthetics of your bike. So they charge a premium. Good for them.

The beautiful thing is, if you are not bought in to the brand message, for Campy, Silca, Assos, Porsche, etc. if you don't think it's worth it, you don't have to buy it! If someone else does, good for them. Live and let live. Just because you don't see value in something doesn't mean someone who does is worth your contempt.
Last edited by eaglejackson on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gceniza

by gceniza

BRM wrote:
An American guy bought the name Silca. Made a niche product (old concept with smoother looks, overbuilt, used some fancy materials ) Sauced it with bullshit marketing and non existing heritage. And voila you have a product that is bought by people that have enough money and too little brains to see what it is really. They dont care, when its expensive and marketing says its unique they go for it, thinking its the best. (If you have the money why not?)

Real cyclists should know better and skip this kind of products.
And yes there is still room for improvement for existing pumps.
Example: The SKS Rennkompressor is built ok, works ok, spare parts are easy to get and cheap, but I also see room for improvement. In my views it must be possible to built a real ultimate pump for around 80 euro's street price.

I originally posted this review because I wanted to share my enthusiam for a product that I truly enjoy using. And this is something I use a lot every day. I am new to this forum, but I have been a cyclist for going on 30 years. I began racing with friction shifters, toe clips, c-delta brakes, etc ... I remember racing (and getting lapped) against Davis Phinney ... (for the youth here ... Taylor has a Dad and he was a beast). So when I read a comment like this ... "Real cyclists should know better and skip this kind of products" and "a product that is bought by people that have enough money and too little brains to see what it is really" ... this all just smacks of condescension. It's okay by me, you are entitled to your opinion. But I actually own the product and use it. And in my opinion, it is worth the hype.
Last edited by gceniza on Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

gceniza wrote:I originally posted this review because I wanted to share my enthusiam for a product that I truly enjoy using. And this is something I use a lot every day. I am new to this forum, but I have been a cyclist for going on 30 years. I began racing with friction shifters, toe clips, c-delta brakes, etc ... I remember racing (and getting lapped) against Davis Phinney ... (for the youth here ... Taylor has a Dad and he was a beast). So when I read a comment like this ... "Real cyclists should know better and skip this kind of products" and "a product that is bought by people that have enough money and too little brains to see what it is really" ... this all just smacks of condescension. It's okay by me, you are entitled to your opinion. But I actually own the product and use it. And in my opinion, it is worth the hype.

Good for you, and thank you for your review. I've cycled since 1976 (in wool shorts then!), if I had the money floating about at the moment I might buy the pump myself, though obviously this would mean I'm not a `real cyclist'.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

gceniza wrote:I originally posted this review because I wanted to share my enthusiam for a product that I truly enjoy using. And this is something I use a lot every day. I am new to this forum, but I have been a cyclist for going on 30 years. I began racing with friction shifters, toe clips, c-delta brakes, etc ... I remember racing (and getting lapped) against Davis Phinney ... (for the youth here ... Taylor has a Dad and he was a beast). So when I read a comment like this ... "Real cyclists should know better and skip this kind of products" and "a product that is bought by people that have enough money and too little brains to see what it is really" ... this all just smacks of condescension. It's okay by me, you are entitled to your opinion. But I actually own the product and use it. And in my opinion, it is worth the hype.

Good for you. I'm happy you like the pump. It is a beautiful tool and many (most?) of us wish we had one too. Enjoy your bike and your stuff!

jaypee

by jaypee

who'd have thought something as simple as a pump could be so divisive.
I too bought into the hype and "boutique branding" and have the new superpista.
I had an original Silca from way back, but had to ditch it and have been suffering with whatever I could get ever since. The new superpista is a very well made pump. If it last half as long as I expect I should be doing well. Is it worth the money? It is for me, it's nice to use and I don't feel like a mug for buying it. Not sure what's wrong with that.
Di2 was worth the extra buck it my book. I didn't need it but saved up and upgraded and enjoy using it. Don't see the difference.

FWIW I'll probably never own a porsche (rule #25) :)

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

jaypee wrote:who'd have thought something as simple as a pump could be so divisive.
I too bought into the hype and "boutique branding" and have the new superpista.
I had an original Silca from way back, but had to ditch it and have been suffering with whatever I could get ever since. The new superpista is a very well made pump. If it last half as long as I expect I should be doing well. Is it worth the money? It is for me, it's nice to use and I don't feel like a mug for buying it. Not sure what's wrong with that.
Di2 was worth the extra buck it my book. I didn't need it but saved up and upgraded and enjoy using it. Don't see the difference.

FWIW I'll probably never own a porsche (rule #25) :)

About 12 years ago I bought a £600 espresso machine, after going through cheaper ones at the rate of about one every two or three years, my friends thought I was mad. Twelve years later I'm thinking what a great deal that was, £50 a year to have a beautiful object that still makes perfect espressos.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Lol. That's a low end espresso machine.......

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Real cyclists walk away from and ignore those who throw around the term "Real cyclists" in anything but a lighthearted joking manner. So ignore it. I enjoyed the thread for the most part, except for the well... you know.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

uraqt

by uraqt

Slow day at the office for me, so i'll give it one last try......

I assumed that you didn't value or understand the improvements at Josh brought to pump market so why talk about that. You brought up porsche, so I picked a porsche example to prove that a porsche is just a "car".

But you didn't get that so I'll try one last time and I'll stay on focused on the pump.

1. +/-1% accurate gauge
2. Magnetic dock manages the chuck
3. The base designed for cleats
4. Custom bearing designed and manufactured to "mate" to the Teflon coated piston rod.
5. No Fault 2 years warranty.

To my knowledge Josh was 1st with these "improvements" and while you will try and minimize them, they are tangible improvements.

"Spare parts are expensive, availability is poor." All the pumps that have been sold are still under warranty so you just made that up. Also the parts that do need to be replaced are for sale on their web site so "availability is poor" is also not true.

C

Oh, thanks again for attacking people instead of having a debate about the pump.

starbucks is just coffee
Britney Spears is just artist
music is just ones and zeros
porsche is just a car
Felco C7 or Knipex 95 61 190 are just wire cutters

Guernica is just oil and canvas
Beatles are just a band
Legos are just a toy
Levi 501s are just pants
Defeet are just socks
Apple MacBook Pros are just computers
Wayne Gretzky is just a hockey player
SuperPista Ultimate is just a pump

You can go through life trying to make the world a better place or just bitch about everything.

PS Last I heard Josh still use his original 1990 silca pump so he isn't pushing this on anyone.
I am guessing that he is just making the best products he knows how to make. I bet at this point he knows it's the best pump made and might be the best bike pump made in the history of mankind.

I also would guess that he could really care less if people don't "get it". Enough people do. Life it to short to use crapy stuff.

The world is lucky I didn't come up with the idea to make the best possible pump, if I did I would make everyone write an essay on why they should have the opportunity to look after it for the next generation ... NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!! I would also put all kinds of restrictions on it like the ferrari laferrari.

boysa

by boysa

uraqt wrote:
1. +/-1% accurate gauge
2. Magnetic dock manages the chuck
3. The base designed for cleats
4. Custom bearing designed and manufactured to "mate" to the Teflon coated piston rod.
5. No Fault 2 years warranty.

Thank you. Finally, after all that, someone took the time to list the reasons why they think it's a superior design. Tangible information.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com