Roval CLX 32 vs. Mavic COSMIC PRO CARBON SL C

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

christofersmith

by christofersmith

Looking for a set of clinchers with rim brakes for all-around racing. I've narrowed my focus to the Roval CLX 32 and Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C.

The Rovals are advertised as 1280 grams (wheels without tires or QRs) while the Mavics are 1450 grams (Pair without tyre).

The Rovals seem to win our on weights, although they're probably not an entire 180 grams lighter. They also are much wider, which I like, and come with ceramic bearings. I've always really liked Mavic, though. Maybe I'm just looking for excuses to pick the Mavics instead. Would appreciate any opinions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A more appropriate comparison would be with the Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SLC, at least in terms of depth. The Roval would still be lighter. If the quality of braking is a factor, the consensus is that these new Mavics are tops in braking. I am a fan of the Mavics, the new hub is great and the rims seem very solid. I have a few wheelsets with very wide rims and the narrower 17 mm internal width of the Mavics is absolutely fine. Doesn't seem skimpy in the slightest. Works well with any size tire. No first hand experience with the Rovals.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

If you get an opportunity, check out the width of the front end caps on the CLX32.

I had a set of CL64's with the oversized end caps, which afford a larger surface area, however did not clamp down 'flush' with the front forks (3T).

It appears that the CLX32's also share the same end caps.

See if you can find a specialized dealer that will allow you to check it out.

My opinion is that these end caps were engineered around the Venge Vias fork which has a larger drop out and clamping area.