Sram etap range

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wootenlakeguy

by wootenlakeguy

Sram describes the etap system as having a limit of 28 teeth for the rear derailleur. Has anyone tried etap with a Sram 1190 11-30 tooth cassette with a compact crank and have they been successful with reliable shifts?

To make this bike specific, this would be used on a 2015 Scott Addict SL.

I appreciate your response.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Ill be putting a 32 into mine with a 52 36 to test when it shows up. I wont cross chain with it but do like having a bail out gear on some rides. If need be I'll order a road link and cut a chain to suit it. Will let you know how it goes, it works on my SL4 with DA9000 without modification at present.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

There are a few threads already discussing it...

Short answer: 11-30 'almost' always work, 11-32 'sometimes' work.

In both cases, the variable is the frame's derailleur hanger, they don't all have the same length, longer ones allow the use of a bigger cassette, short ones limit what you can get away with. If you're too much on the limit, you can probably avoid issues if you don't cross chain.

moonoi

by moonoi

Or you could just buy the etap red wi-fli version SRAM just announced that will take up to a 32 without issue.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jeffy

by jeffy

are people able to buy individual etap components yet? I have only seen them as full group / upgrade kits. Surely someone has busted a single shifter or rear mech already?

I will be buying the medium cage rear mech ... and really dont want to have to sell on the short cage / buy Wifli kit.

Dear SRAM, please just sell me what i need. If not Di2 bekons ....

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

This:
moonoi wrote:Or you could just buy the etap red wi-fli version SRAM just announced that will take up to a 32 without issue.

Especially if it's a permanent setup, but making the short cage version work makes sense if it's just for that once a season bike trip or something and you already have it.

jeffy wrote:are people able to buy individual etap components yet? I have only seen them as full group / upgrade kits. Surely someone has busted a single shifter or rear mech already?

I will be buying the medium cage rear mech ... and really dont want to have to sell on the short cage / buy Wifli kit.

Dear SRAM, please just sell me what i need. If not Di2 bekons ....

Yeah that sucks a little. Even at the OEM level, SRAM wont sell companies eTap groupsets without the cranks AFAIK... I'm guessing that policy might change once eTap production VS demand has calmed down.

Question: does the eTap rear mech uses the same cage assembly as mechanical Red? Could getting just a medium cage work to... DIY-Wi-FLI?

metabo

by metabo

Dan Gerous wrote:Question: does the eTap rear mech uses the same cage assembly as mechanical Red? Could getting just a medium cage work to... DIY-Wi-FLI?

I think the point of WiFLi (or longer cage derailleurs in general) is not only about having an extended cage to take more chains so as to keep enough chain tension at the small-small combination, but also about having a deeper slant angle so as to keep enough clearance between the pulley and the corgs.

I tried 32T with my eTap, but it didn't work well, because of the aforementioned clearance issue.

If we can simply use big corgs via the replacement of the cage, I think ceramic speed would sell their big pulley cages as such.

Still, I have both eTap and wired Red WiFli. So maybe I have a try.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I'd have bought a WiFli kit if it was available simply for that once in a blue moon convenience. Pending prices after Christmas I may swap it out.
Using Tapatalk

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

metabo wrote:I think the point of WiFLi (or longer cage derailleurs in general) is not only about having an extended cage to take more chains so as to keep enough chain tension at the small-small combination, but also about having a deeper slant angle so as to keep enough clearance between the pulley and the corgs.

I tried 32T with my eTap, but it didn't work well, because of the aforementioned clearance issue.

If we can simply use big corgs via the replacement of the cage, I think ceramic speed would sell their big pulley cages as such.

Still, I have both eTap and wired Red WiFli. So maybe I have a try.

Makes sense.

SL1

by SL1

Fit a 'Lindarets RoadLink' to your hanger to give you extra clearance.

http://www.lindarets.com/roadlink/

EDIT: Ignore. Says not compatible with Sram. I wonder why it won't work ? Anybody know ?

EDIT 2: Lindarets says it works.
Last edited by SL1 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Using Tapatalk

tinozee

by tinozee

Wow cool little product!

Ritxis

by Ritxis

SL1 wrote:Fit a 'Lindarets RoadLink' to your hanger to give you extra clearance.

http://www.lindarets.com/roadlink/

EDIT: Ignore. Says not compatible with Sram. I wonder why it won't work ? Anybody know ?

is optimized around Shimano ten- or eleven-speed road derailleurs and shifters, but works well with SRAM and Campy too

Andres

by Andres

You can also get a Ceramicspeed OSPWS which extends the range to 32 teeth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com