What are you holding out on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

If forced to go disc
Madone9 disc
9150 Di2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

tommasini

by tommasini

Not holding out here..........just ordered a custom geometry Tommasini frameset......for rim brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

TheDarkInstall wrote:
Bloody good post. Agree with all of that.

I too am still using a Garmin 810, and like you I have repaired the shell after the power button fell apart. Tried the 520, which was lame in comparison, and the 820 has a whole new set of problems, so I am just sticking with the 810 for now.

What problems with the 820 are you referring to?

FWIW I've been very happy with the 820. It has the 520 size, which I like. Element is too big for me, and the Element screen is not nearly as good as the 520/820.

Versus the 800, I like having Glonass in addition to GPS. With just GPS (on my 500) it would often take minutes or more -- or infinity -- to find the satellites. I wouldn't start my ride till I got the satellites, and it would be a frustrating delay. (Sometimes infinity, and I'd just give up waiting for the satellites). With Glonass+GPS, satellites found very quickly. I like the Bluetooth connection to the phone so that I don't have to connect to the PC to upload. I find everytime I connect to the PC, there is a reasonable chance the Garmin won't eject properly and scramble its internal state. And the ride is available on Strava right away, not when I get around to uploading on the PC.

I also like courses. Are those on the 800? I don't recall. They are great when I'm riding new rides, especially in new places.

I also have the 520. I like it a lot but it's died a few times (and replaced by Garmin). No problems so far with the 820.

I don't use live tracking or Strava live segments or any of that stuff.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Wireless Campagnolo EPS

F45

by F45

Waiting until electric motor shifting is the same price as cable shifting.

wingguy

by wingguy

F45 wrote:Waiting until electric motor shifting is the same price as cable shifting.

Is that ever going to come from the major manufacturers though? As long as electronic shifting is seen as better then it'll keep being priced as better - regardless of what the actual costs are...

steventran

by steventran

What? No wireless brakes?

mergeforthekill

by mergeforthekill

Canyon Ultimate Disc.

illskittlz

by illskittlz

stockae92 wrote:Sram Force 22 eTap with hydraulic discs :)

I agree. Looking forward to trickle down technology or better yet pricing for etap to reduce altogether.

F45

by F45

wingguy wrote:Is that ever going to come from the major manufacturers though? As long as electronic shifting is seen as better then it'll keep being priced as better - regardless of what the actual costs are...

I want to believe.jpg

weeshuggy

by weeshuggy

A very specific type of frame.

Classic geometry, horizontal top tube. Classic looking lines with minor aero adjustment, kinda like the trek madone did with the cut off areo foil shapes.

Quick release thru axles, think this is mavics idea, with the torque wrenchh end that I think dt swiss came up with ?

Then direct mount brakes placed in in usual spots. None of this under the bottom bracket nonsense. Whilst I am more than willing to move over to thru axles as I just like the security of them I dont want dics breaks. What I want is someone to make a 23mm wide rim with a mavic exailth style track and steel spokes and hubs that wont fall apart.

Non internal cable routing.

Standard threaded bottom bracket.

Under 1kg

And it not to be made by specalized/trek/giant.

Ohh and a 27.2mm seat tube.

glepore

by glepore

A flatmount aero bike that didn't ride like one, and the climbed reasonably well, at a price less than Madone, with hydro wireless. Frames with integrated hydro "piping" so we don't have to run tubing thru the frame, thus totally concealing it from shifter to caliper. Cadence based shifting with a rider selectable enable-disable switch. Integrated usb chargable head/tail/drl lights in headtube/seattube. The C/k/Praxis?wheels 47mm bb.

I don't want discs for the sake of discs, but more for the sake of wide, safe, cheap carbon clinchers.

I know that's a lot, but its all available pretty much off the shelf now with the exception of the internal tubing, and adaptors could be very easily made for that. No reason such a bike couldn't appear next year.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

youngs_modulus wrote:
antonioiglesius wrote:I like the fact that there are new players in the market, like Wahoo and Lezyne. But, to me, it feels like they're primarily playing catch-up to Garmin. Sure, the Elemnt might have a nice screen, and marketing might be excited about that, but I'm not. I know what I'm about to say is unfair to the engineers etc. from these new players, but I keep having this general feeling that they're just mucking around and not doing anything truly innovative.

Oh, this is interesting. I'm not sure what you mean by mucking around, but in my opinion as an engineer, Garmin is sloppy and more than a little lazy. They're leaving room for their competitors in a couple of areas:

- Their code is buggy as hell. New firmware releases routinely break previously-functional features.

- Garmin often waits months to release fixes for the above-mentioned buggy code, even when the fixes are trivial. I'm not sure why that is. It can't be due to the time required for regression testing...if that were the reason, they wouldn't be releasing such buggy code in the first place.

- For a long time, Garmin didn't really understand cycling. They implemented lots of features that didn't matter much to cyclists but failed to address cyclists' actual needs. (For example, smart recording was basically useless with power...or for courses that were not dead-straight, at least the last time I checked). Additionally, before they switched to a binary file format (.fit files) their data files referred to our activity as "biking," which speaks volumes about how many cyclists (bikers?) they had working on their stuff for the cycling market.

- They used to charge outrageous sums for street maps. Maybe they still do, but OpenStreetMaps has come along and taken that business away from them. My heart bleeds for Garmin's lost revenue.

- My Edge 500's screen has a resolution of 128x160 pixels. This is lower-res than the Texas Instruments TI-92 graphing calculator, which was introduced in 1995. There are office buildings with way more windows than my Garmin has pixels. Readability and information density are both limited by this resolution. The Wahoo Elemnt's resolution is 240x400. It's a bigger device, but Garmin's low-res displays are still generally low-hanging fruit for its competitors.

antonioiglesius wrote:So what do I find really innovative?

First of all, good for you for asking that rhetorical question. Many people just stamp their feet and demand "more innovation," which is silly. You're willing to try to describe what you'd like to see. Cheers!

Secondly: I mean this in the best possible way, but I can't help thinking that by "innovation" you mean "features which I personally find exciting." Seriously, this is not a criticism. But "innovation" is such an ill-defined term that it ends up meaning whatever the speaker wants it to mean. As a result, it doesn't mean much to the people who are actually doing what most people think of as "innovating."

Your comparison with the iPhone is apt. GPS-based bike computers and smart phones were introduced around the same time and have since become mature products. It's not that people have run out of ideas for these things; it's that all the interesting/hard stuff has already been done for these products.

You suggest that maybe "tech has plateaued," but I'm not sure what this means. We're no longer finding new planets in our solar system, but I can't imagine anyone arguing that "astronomy has plateaued."

For a long time, Garmin was the only game in town for GPS-based bike computers. They became fat and happy, and now competitors are starting to nibble at them with products that cost less and show (a lot) more attention to detail. Either Garmin will ignore the competitors until Garmin becomes a non-entity in that market, or they'll respond with cheaper, better computers to compete with Lezyne, Polar et al. Either way, consumers win.

Excellent! Completely agree.

In addition, Garmin is schizophrenic as hell; they shift around ideas and fundamentally change designs in the same product tree, then revert back to form once it proves to be idiotic (getting rid of the touch screen and hiding zoom deep in the menus on the 520, then binning that blatantly insane idea and going back to touch for the 820, for example)

Their customer service is a joke too.

I would like to see an open source standard bike computer OS along the lines of Linux come out.

Frame related; yeah a direct mount rim brake, 30mm rim compatible, light as an Evo, slightly taller headtube than an Evo, direct mount rear mech, aero/lightweight hybrid with 135/110 width thru axles, sold with just a base layer of paint would be the so good.

Shrike

by Shrike

So many things.

Aero disc brakes
1x 14 road gearing
Carbon wheelset democratisation (soon)
Electronic groupset democratisation (close actually)
Garmin/Wahoo complete systems. HUD, lights, group tracking and communication etc (few years to go)
Tacx Flux (actually managed to preorder it at a pretty good price from Germany)
Affordable version of that new Cervelo TT bike. Like an 80s wet dream thing! Need.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Brim brothers power pedals. Can't wait.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;