Lighter di2 tt setup?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

Wouldn't it be lighter to pair sprint shifters with 3t brake levers instead of the di2 tt brake levers?
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

ms6073

by ms6073

Not possible with stock components. The Shimano SW-R610 sprint shifters have a keyed e-tube connector that fits in the bottom port of the ST-9070 shifters, where as SW-R671 TT shifters have built-in E-tube wires and no aux e-tube ports.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rudi

by Rudi

You can use the "climbing" shifter straight into the A junction. The wire is a bit short so I had to mount the junction to one side to make it reach - on the bar itself rather than the traditional stem placement. If you are happy to solder 2 wires together to make the wire longer then that would reach. I was only using it for the RD so didn't need it in the middle.

I believe that would still be lighter overall and depending on what TT level you use, cheaper also than the dedicated Shimano tt brake lever.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

Rudi wrote:You can use the "climbing" shifter straight into the A junction. The wire is a bit short so I had to mount the junction to one side to make it reach - on the bar itself rather than the traditional stem placement. If you are happy to solder 2 wires together to make the wire longer then that would reach. I was only using it for the RD so didn't need it in the middle.

I believe that would still be lighter overall and depending on what TT level you use, cheaper also than the dedicated Shimano tt brake lever.

Climbing shifter is the same weight as a bar end. Or paired with a lightweight brake lever about the same weight as a tt STI. :|

Rudi

by Rudi

I think the Bar end shifters have to have the inserts to install them into the bars. The climbing one doesn't.

Internet weight says 313g per pair of the Di2 specific brakes, so 156g each.

I used planet X TT levers (internet weight 105g for the pair) and the climbing shifter is 30g (also internet weight), so I'd say lighter. I believe the Planet X levers weighed less, but I have the weights at home so will check later. Roughly just over half the weight?

Guess it will vary on how much the TT levers weigh though.

Edit: Still had a picture on my phone - 96g for the pair. 78g for 1 lever and climbing shifter.
IMG_0958.jpg

Further edit: It isn't by any means as neat a solution as the standard Di2 lever, but it works and the question was about a lighter set up.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

Rudi wrote:I think the Bar end shifters have to have the inserts to install them into the bars. The climbing one doesn't.

Internet weight says 313g per pair of the Di2 specific brakes, so 156g each.

I used planet X TT levers (internet weight 105g for the pair) and the climbing shifter is 30g (also internet weight), so I'd say lighter. I believe the Planet X levers weighed less, but I have the weights at home so will check later. Roughly just over half the weight?

Guess it will vary on how much the TT levers weigh though.

Edit: Still had a picture on my phone - 96g for the pair. 78g for 1 lever and climbing shifter.
IMG_0958.jpg

Further edit: It isn't by any means as neat a solution as the standard Di2 lever, but it works and the question was about a lighter set up.

Bike24 has climbing shifter listed at 79g, bar ends are about 75 each. A regular Ultegra di2 STI should only be about 150g though so possibly if you use a single regular di2 STI, a 3t brake lever on the other side, and then sprint shifters instead of bar ends you would be at around 250g vs near 450g. If that's electronically compatible...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com