Need help with new bike pick. Which One?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

uscroadguy

by uscroadguy

Looking for help and advice with selecting a new frame/bike. Looking for the one bike "all around" quiver. A little background on previous bikes:

1). LOOK 585 - was very smooth, great handling and confident descending. Lacked a little in the bottom bracket and climbing. Great bike.

2). Cervelo R5 - was very quick up hills and jumped under acceleration. Maybe not as smooth as the LOOK 585, but certainly stiffer in the bottom bracket.

3). Trek Madone 7.9 - very aggressive, race geometry. A good frame, but after time on it makes me want to go back to the other two previous frames.

Not looking to race this bike, but log a lot of training miles on it.

So, as I began searching and test riding frames again, is there anything that provides the qualities of both the LOOK 585 and Cervelo R5? Is there a bike that is smooth like the LOOK 585, but climbs and accelerates like the Cervelo R5? The default option is to just go back to another Cervelo R5 (which I understand has been updated?), but looking for real world feedback vs. reading through all the magazine reviews and Tour International tests.

Thanks!!!

audiojan

by audiojan

Pinarello F8. Climbs really well, descends like it's on rail and all-day comfort. I've had a Look 595, Look 586, Neil Pryde Bura, Neil Pryde Alize, Parlee Z5, Colnago Extreme Power and the F8 is better than any of those.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uscroadguy

by uscroadguy

Thanks for the feedback. Is there anything that you miss from any of the other bikes? I remember at the time when I had my 585 it was the bike I kept going back to and comparing everything else to. Do you feel that way about the F8?

audiojan

by audiojan

The F8 rides better than any of the Looks (and I still do love my 595, which I kept as a spare bike), both comfort, acceleration and more than anything else handling is just superior. I really can't say I miss anything from any of the other bikes... The F8 does everything as well as or better than any other bike I've owned (a total of 18 bikes over the years...) both as a whole, but also in individual parameters.

I can honestly say that the F8 is as close to perfect as I've ever seen a bike come.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

uscroadguy

by uscroadguy

What size frame do you ride? I would be the 575 frame size as the 595 (a 585 would be ideal) is too tall in stack, but a little concerned that the head angle is stretched out or aggressive at 73.70*? Will try to see if LBS has one to test ride this week.

MalibuCANE

by MalibuCANE

F8! I just got one after years on various Trek Madones, Specialized and Cervelo. Best bike I have ever ridden hands down. I avoided test riding one for a long time because my team was sponsored by other brands. Now I can't imagine ever riding anything else. Light enough, certainly stiff as anything and it flies downhill effortlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com