Enve 3.4 or 4.5 (Bora Ultra 35)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

taylorpetie

by taylorpetie

Hi. First time poster here and looking for advice from the forum. :)

1. I've been demo'ing the enve ses 3.4 and they ride nice. The shop didn't have the enve ses 4.5, so wanting to ask if anyone has experience between these two wheels yet and recommendation of the two (for 60% climbing, 40% flats).

2. Choice between enve 3.4/4.5 or bora ultra 35 for braking performance? I know the new bora ultras have a new braking surface, but curious if anyone has tried it out.

Thank you.

mimason

by mimason

For your riding mix I am going to say either 3.4 or the Bora 35s and not the 4.5s unless your climbing is not steep stuff(more rollers) and limited or little crosswinds.

Regarding Bora vs ENVE you are going to hear votes for the Boras without a lot or ride reports or aero studies. They sound good on paper and from ride testimony and certainly quality should be top notch. The ENVEs are well documented and you can build them semi-custom with hubs de Jour. Depending on where you live pricing may be favoring the Boras or possibly not at all.

For me it would be part art and part science and part economics. If you can get the Boras for a song and they looked good on the bike that would be my choice especially if you ride Campy drivetrain. On the other hand with a Shimano drivetrain I'd likely choose the 3.4s given pricing was fair.

Braking with ENVE pads is decent not great. Not sure about the Boras in comparison but they all suck in the wet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Sure, the speculation about the Bora's is just pure heresay.
Especially for all the pros who race them worldwide... :roll:

The point about drivetrains is a good one. Boras on a Shimano bike just looks wrong, but there is always the Fulcrum version for those situations.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I would get the 4.5 and not look back.

sawyer

by sawyer

I'd get the Boras and not look back

Just get Bora Ones tbh - almost half the price of ENVEs with a decent hub build
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

mimason

by mimason

Stolichnaya wrote:Sure, the speculation about the Bora's is just pure heresay.
Especially for all the pros who race them worldwide... :roll:

I think I am being fair in my assessment and I was not being negative. Just because a pro team rides a product doesn't mean its better than another product (in this case ENVE). That was my point.

immer mit der ruhe

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I am always calm. Sarcasm can be friendly and fun too.

Campy hit a home run with those wheels from the start and they have stood the test of time.
Pro teams do often have a say in what they ride. A number of teams chose their own wheels and riders are often asked by manufacturers for feedback on component improvement. The Boras again have been faithful to countless riders through the years. There are some cool tweaks coming to the Bora / Racing Speed lineup lately too. I am certain the SES wheels would be a wonderful choice, just not mine. The Boras have a known stiffness factor for larger riders and the braking quality helps. (Now I wish I had a set again.)

zsommer79

by zsommer79

I sold my 3.4s after getting the 4.5s because I didn't notice much difference in climbing between the two but I do notice how much easier the 4.5s hold speed in the flats. How much you weigh should probably pay into your decision as well. I weigh 195lbs but lighter rider would probably feel weight difference on spin up and crosswinds more.

taylorpetie

by taylorpetie

Thanks all for the responses. Well, I went down the "I'll take two" route (probably not the most $$ sense route ... *sigh*). Decided on bora ultras for the spouse and 3.4 for me... (plus, this allows me to switch between the two).

zsommer79 wrote:I sold my 3.4s after getting the 4.5s because I didn't notice much difference in climbing between the two but I do notice how much easier the 4.5s hold speed in the flats. How much you weigh should probably pay into your decision as well. I weigh 195lbs but lighter rider would probably feel weight difference on spin up and crosswinds more.

I weigh 160lbs.

mimason

by mimason

^ You did well. Enjoy. Report back when you get some time in on them.

Did you go with DT hubs?

taylorpetie

by taylorpetie

Thanks. Yes, I went with the standard DT hubs.

mimason wrote:^ You did well. Enjoy. Report back when you get some time in on them.

Did you go with DT hubs?

tids0009

by tids0009

I've got a pair of Campagnolo Hyperon Ultra's that have done around 38,000km's and they are so superior to all other wheels i have tried it's not funny. The Hyperon's are the best wheels i have ever ridden and the campag hubs in general are a work of engineering perfection. You can't go wrong with the Bora's, brilliant all round wheel that will last the test of time.

fogman

by fogman

Stolichnaya wrote:The Boras again have been faithful to countless riders through the years. There are some cool tweaks coming to the Bora / Racing Speed lineup lately too. I am certain the SES wheels would be a wonderful choice, just not mine. The Boras have a known stiffness factor for larger riders and the braking quality helps.

What are the tweaks coming to the Bora/Racing Speed lineup you are referring to?
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

meeRoad

by meeRoad

Own both Enve (3.4) and new Bora clinchers

Breaking in wet is better on Boras
Enves feel more aero, but not by much

Boras are definitely more comfortable
S-Works Tarmac SL6
Colnago C59