Any long terms reviews of Specialized Tarmac SL3 frameset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

justarider

by justarider

Wondering if there are any long term owners who'd like to share experiences? Or unbiased reviews out there?

I'm in the market for a new race bike, and I know the frameset is older, but could pick one up for half the price of some new 2016 framesets I'm looking at. I'll be sticking Dura-ace 9000 mechanical and a set of carbon wheels on it

Cheers

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

SL3 is harsh frameset introduced back in 2009. Aluminum Allez E5 is far more complaint. See if you can find SL4 instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRM

by BRM

SL4 had a front-fork recall

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I've had a SL, SL2, SL3, SL4 and own the current model Tarmac. The SL3 was a pretty firm frame, particularly in the front end, but I never got off the bike and felt like I was beaten up from the bike. You might need to be careful with wheel selection, I don't think there is a ton of room for wide rims.

headwind816

by headwind816

My friend still rides a SL3 S-works, and I have never heard him complain about "too stiff" or any of that jazz. I will say that he rides Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels with Conti GP 4000s 700*23 mounted, and I truly believe you could not mount 25 tires on that bike.

I would say if the price is right and you are okay with narrow tires then go for it!

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

tonytourist wrote:I've had a SL, SL2, SL3, SL4 and own the current model Tarmac. The SL3 was a pretty firm frame, particularly in the front end, but I never got off the bike and felt like I was beaten up from the bike. You might need to be careful with wheel selection, I don't think there is a ton of room for wide rims.

Hence the reason why one should not invest into an old frameset that has no room for wide wheels and tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

I rode one for couple of years, stiff bike that sprints great. I tried to get some compliance with carbon clinchers without a heap of success. Eventually moved on and I now ride a V1 foil (which are supposed to be too stiff) on wider rims and 25's and for me it's a nice ride. If your a 56 the SL4 is a good model as they have nice balance of compliance, stiffness an handling IMO. Good luck

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have one. I think its reputation for stiffness compared to modern bikes is because everyone was running 22s or 23s at that time at higher pressures. I have run 25s on it on both xentis 4.2s and roval clx40s with nil clearance issues. It is not as comfy as my evo but i prefer it for sprinting due to it solid feel. Its a good frame.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

junchen

by junchen

I have sl3 in xs. Fitting conti gp4k 25mm on narrow specialized Axis wheels - there's barely any clearance left. Otherwise I'm v happy with my sl3. If u check out zipp 303 website, there's clearance issues for sl4 n sl3 too.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

NealH

by NealH

I have right at 65k miles on my SL3 S-Works. With the DA C24 wheels and tires at 80-85#, it rides and performs great and the ride is not very harsh. Other wheels can impart a harsher feel. I purchased it new at the beginning of 2010. I have ridden the SL4 on numerous occasions. It might tend to ride just a little smoother, but the SL3 is king on descents. It has the best front end of any bike I've ever been on.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have a 2010 SW SL3 58cm. I find the ride not to be too stiff at all. Matter of fact, better than the original 2006 SW Tarmac.

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

I owned a SL3 sw: most terrible harsh frameset I've ever owned or ridden. Tried to get used to it for 6 months and than I sold it and bought a Dogma 60.1. Both ridden with Shamal wheelset, but Dogma was much better in almost everything (exept weight).

justarider

by justarider

Thanks all, decision made I think - I've wide carbon rims and will be running 25s on them

topflightpro

by topflightpro

My wife has an SL3 Tarmac and an SL4 Amira. She likes the Tarmac better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

My friend has SL3 and uses Roval 40s with 25mm tires and it clears. I haven't looked closely at his setup to see how much room there is on either side.