Anyone running the Enve Road Stem/aero bar combo?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sd5500

by sd5500

How do you like it? I just purchased this cockpit for my new build. I went this route over the Zipp cockpit, which I have on my current bike. I think I'm gonna like combo of narrow at the hoods and wider in the drops.

Samklee15

by Samklee15

I am, just built up a Tarmac and couldn't decide on the Enve carbon stem/Aero handlebar or the Zipp
equivalent so I ended up getting both. Ended up not even considering the Zipp setup once I received the Enve based purely off the handlebar width and aesthetics. I've usually always run 42Cm wide bars and never had any complaints so I never thought about swapping them for anything else. Actually didn't realize that the 42Cm wide enves were measured from the drops and 37cm at the hood until the bike was built. I am a couple hundred miles in and absolutely adore them, the transition from the drops to the hoods is actually really comfortable and I love how narrow they are. They've actually made me start to resent all my wider bars and I think I will have to start switching all my bars over to narrower options. Sorry if I kind of went off on a wild tangent but I hope I made sense.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRM

by BRM

Would make more sense to ask such a question before you buy something instead of after . . . . . :)

sd5500

by sd5500

BRM wrote:Would make more sense to ask such a question before you buy something instead of after . . . . . :)

Thanks for tip :roll:

Samklee15 wrote:I am, just built up a Tarmac and couldn't decide on the Enve carbon stem/Aero handlebar or the Zipp
equivalent so I ended up getting both. Ended up not even considering the Zipp setup once I received the Enve based purely off the handlebar width and aesthetics. I've usually always run 42Cm wide bars and never had any complaints so I never thought about swapping them for anything else. Actually didn't realize that the 42Cm wide enves were measured from the drops and 37cm at the hood until the bike was built. I am a couple hundred miles in and absolutely adore them, the transition from the drops to the hoods is actually really comfortable and I love how narrow they are. They've actually made me start to resent all my wider bars and I think I will have to start switching all my bars over to narrower options. Sorry if I kind of went off on a wild tangent but I hope I made sense.

No worries, appreciate the info. The SL-70 Aero bars I have are 38s, which feel fine but I know they are a bit narrow for me. The Enves are 37 at the hoods and 42 in the drops, which should work well.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

I have had both the Zipp SL-70 and Enve Aero.. Zipp with the sprint stem and enve with the enve stem. I liked the enve over the zipp + you can get the sexy garmin mount, but now i'm on the standard enve handlebar, just seems to prefer the regular handlebar shape. But def. enve over zipp. The zipp is to "sharp" :-)

sd5500

by sd5500

Nejmann wrote:I have had both the Zipp SL-70 and Enve Aero.. Zipp with the sprint stem and enve with the enve stem. I liked the enve over the zipp + you can get the sexy garmin mount, but now i'm on the standard enve handlebar, just seems to prefer the regular handlebar shape. But def. enve over zipp. The zipp is to "sharp" :-)

Did you notice any difference in good sprinting stiffness between the 2 set ups?

Nejmann

by Nejmann

sd5500 wrote:
Nejmann wrote:I have had both the Zipp SL-70 and Enve Aero.. Zipp with the sprint stem and enve with the enve stem. I liked the enve over the zipp + you can get the sexy garmin mount, but now i'm on the standard enve handlebar, just seems to prefer the regular handlebar shape. But def. enve over zipp. The zipp is to "sharp" :-)

Did you notice any difference in good sprinting stiffness between the 2 set ups?

I actually prefer the enve over the zipp, the zipp is like crazy stiff actually? I think it feels weird? But that could be a good thing if you really are into sprinting?

willowwonka

by willowwonka

I've used enve stem and traditional enve bars on my last two bikes, 40cm wide bars.

I find them super comfortable to ride with and the drops are the perfect shape for me. Can't compare them with Zipp but i wouldnt choose any other carbon bar/stem combo now.
- CANYON KATUSHA TEAM ULTIMATE SLX SUMMER RIG.
- CANNONDALE CAAD10 ANNODISED WINTER SLOG.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

+1 more for the ENVE aero road bar. Actually +2 since I have them on two of my bikes. I run the 44cm (39-44) as I am a bigger guy at 6'2" and love them. They are stiff and solid out of the saddle and feel nice and slippery when you are tucked on the hoods. The only drawback to the narrow hood design in my opinion is out of the saddle climbing on the hoods isn't quite as awesome and takes a while to get used to with the less leverage on the bars.