Pedal q-factor

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

superb

by superb

Hi

What is the right way to measure pedal q-factor? Is that from the flat face at the crank to the centre of the clip mechanism?

Can anyone tell me pedal q-factor for Shimano PD-9000 and PD-9000E1. Is 52 mm and 56 mm right?
Pedal q factor for Look pedals is 53 and 55 mm? If I want 55 mm q-factor do I have to buy Look q-factor Shims?
Can anyone tell me pedal q-factor for old Mavic Race or Mavic Avenir pedal?

(Such important thing and so hard to find information.)

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

travs

by travs

Had a quick google and found the following:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/what-is-q-factor-and-does-it-make-a-difference-187403
"Q Factor is the distance between the outside of one crank arm to the outside of the opposite crank arm. Although Q Factor has become a universally recognised measurement, other people in the bike trade prefer to use a value for ‘stance width’ — which refers more directly to the distance between feet on the pedals"

It also goes on to state that an average approximate Q-factor for a road bike will be about 150mm.

This article also helps explain a bit too.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Stance_Width_2562.html

This is also straightforward in explaining:
http://rideissi.com/articles/stance-wid ... -important

As for the specific pedals, you want to be looking for the spindle-length measurement so see if researching that helps.

superdx

by superdx

If you have a specific width you need, then adjusting the horizontal position of the cleat is a lot easier than trying to find a pedal which matches your requirements exactly.

Even a different pair of shoes will change your q-factor, it's a pain to setup if you are sensitive to that kind of discrepancy.

Rick

by Rick

I think, but wouldn't argue too strongly, that "Q factor" is the distance between crank-arm faces.
"Stance width" is the distance from pedal-center to pedal-center.
So "Stance width" is a combination of "Q Factor" and spindle length.

The Dura-Ace wide pedals have 55mm spindle, and the regular ones are 51.
But the spindle length of Ultegra is 53. So an Ultegra with 2 pedal washers = the same spindle length as the "wide" Dura ace.
I have both of them and discovered this while trying to set up two different bikes with exactly the same overall stance width.

travs

by travs

Rick wrote:I think, but wouldn't argue too strongly, that "Q factor" is the distance between crank-arm faces.
"Stance width" is the distance from pedal-center to pedal-center.
So "Stance width" is a combination of "Q Factor" and spindle length.

I think you can argue it a little more strongly seeing as that's what all the articles I found seem to agree Rick