Best Winter Tires in 2016/2017

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

Thinking should i order winter tires, or just keep riding with Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm...

So, On the fixie bike that im using for commuting, im using 25m Continental 4 Season, and except beeing not fastest and not beeing most comfortable tire, the grip and lasting is very good.

Is there any better Winter tire in 2016 then Continental 4Season? (Grip is most important, specially on Wet and frozen roades, then puncture protection then everything else)

Do u replace ur tires at all for Winter riding or u continue to ride with the regular tires?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stueys

by Stueys

I run conti 4s in the winter and highly rate them, great grip in the wet and good puncture protection. However I don't commute and if there's an ice risk I find the turbo has a whole new level of appeal. For something for frozen roads I suspect something with studs on would be better, but I've no real experience or studs on tarmac, etc.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Stueys wrote:I run conti 4s in the winter and highly rate them, great grip in the wet and good puncture protection. However I don't commute and if there's an ice risk I find the turbo has a whole new level of appeal. For something for frozen roads I suspect something with studs on would be better, but I've no real experience or studs on tarmac, etc.

Turbo? What tires are those? I dont need with studs, just the tyre which rubber is optimized for colder climate (let's say from 0 degrees up to 10 degrees Celsius). I need this for my C60, because this winter i'll try to be as much outside as possible, and riding on trainer as less as possible :) Last winter i was riding with the Attack/Force combo, and on wet road i crash on the road from loosing grip (temperature was like 2-3 degrees Celsius). This injury keep me from bike 2 months, and pain in the arm for few months.. That's why im thinking to get proper winter rubber. Or what im getting for winter riding if i buy 4Seasons compared to Vittoria Corsa G+ (which i just installed).
Last edited by 3Pio on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I wouldn't use the VIttorias as it would be a waste and they have next to no puncture protection; save them for summer. The Continental GP 4-seasons are a good tyre for cold wet (non-icy) tarmac but I prefer the Continental Grand Prix GT's. Been using them the last 2 winters and find them more comfortable than the 4-seasons, they roll better and they seem as robust too so a win win.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

kasperkls02

by kasperkls02

Turbo? What tires are those?

I think he means hometrainer or it is the S-Works Turbo which i use as summer tires

3Pio

by 3Pio

cmcdonnell wrote:I wouldn't use the VIttorias as it would be a waste and they have next to no puncture protection; save them for summer. The Continental GP 4-seasons are a good tyre for cold wet (non-icy) tarmac but I prefer the Continental Grand Prix GT's. Been using them the last 2 winters and find them more comfortable than the 4-seasons, they roll better and they seem as robust too so a win win.

The answer that im looking for :).. But im confused.. Are those GP 4 Season higher or lower ranged then Gt's? Is there any advantage of 4 Season compared to Gt's?

3Pio

by 3Pio

kasperkls02 wrote:Turbo? What tires are those?

I think he means hometrainer or it is the S-Works Turbo which i use as summer tires

Yeah.. Probably Turbo trainer :) i was confused a little bit, because i know the Specialized Turbo are summer tire

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Conti GP 4 seasons.
Using Tapatalk

Rudi

by Rudi

If you like Vittoria then why not the Pave? I have commuted over the winter on them for the last couple of years and they have been fine for me. Still 25mm as well.

the blurb from a popular online retailer:
The clincher version of the Pavè CG tubular is hand-made and provides excellent grip and performance, thanks to the “open tubular” construction. It's a tyre well suited for Autumn/Winter riding both in wet and dry conditions.

I don't like conti (no real reason, I just don't) so can't really compare - sorry.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

3Pio

by 3Pio

Rudi wrote:If you like Vittoria then why not the Pave? I have commuted over the winter on them for the last couple of years and they have been fine for me. Still 25mm as well.

the blurb from a popular online retailer:
The clincher version of the Pavè CG tubular is hand-made and provides excellent grip and performance, thanks to the “open tubular” construction. It's a tyre well suited for Autumn/Winter riding both in wet and dry conditions.

I don't like conti (no real reason, I just don't) so can't really compare - sorry.

Yes, i wanted Pave CG Clincer, but i could not find them on german retailers sites where i'll order them. Also im not seeing them on Vittoria site.. Maybe they are replaced with some of G+ tires and discontiuned?

Anyway, i just ordered 4 Season. Thanks a lot for everyone

RedCoke

by RedCoke

Good Choice. I did not use stub tires by myself, but many riders said 'waste of moeny = heavy + poor durability'

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

Vittoria Pave rides a lot better than Conti 4S, but I had bad luck with multiple punctures on a single ride (not connected, different little stones and glass working their way through the rubber). So I changed back to Contis.

However, a lot of people had better luck and if you want to try it, Probikeshop has them in stock. I ordered there (also from Germany). It is discontinued by Vittoria, though.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

most important thing if its an option is to be riding with wider tires and lower pressure. a 32 mm tire @ 70 psi is less likely to have a flat than a 23 mm tire at 95 psi. then other things matter like a touring tire which will be thicker and more puncture resistant and has better traction.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Seriously.. Durano DD in the winter.. Never had a flat in like 4 years.. And sexy tires in the summer..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Strike through word "best" from your dictionary! There's no such thing. If you are looking for balanced winter tire for foul weather then look no further than Continental 4Season. It's as puncture resistant as Gatorskins (heavier and don't roll as well). Winter tires are far from supple. They key is run at low pressure. 80 psi max (25mm) and its irrelevant how much you weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder