Best Winter Tires in 2016/2017

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

mpulsiv wrote:Strike through word "best" from your dictionary! There's no such thing. If you are looking for balanced winter tire for foul weather then look no further than Continental 4Season. It's as puncture resistant as Gatorskins (heavier and don't roll as well). Winter tires are far from supple. They key is run at low pressure. 80 psi max (25mm) and its irrelevant how much you weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best in my dictionary means the best for caracteristic that i described :) (and best is very personal sometimes) "Is there any better Winter tire in 2016 then Continental 4Season? (Grip is most important, specially on Wet and frozen roades, then puncture protection then everything else)"

Of course there is no "best" in term of everything, but something is better for some carateristic, but lack for something else, etc...

Anyway, thanks a lot, i hope this winter i'll spend more time one bike :) And thanks for hint about lower pressure (last winter i was using 22mm in front and 7.5 bar pressure, so i fall down :( )

Now i need some other equipment for the winter, but i'll ask that in different topic :)

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

3Pio wrote:
cmcdonnell wrote:I wouldn't use the VIttorias as it would be a waste and they have next to no puncture protection; save them for summer. The Continental GP 4-seasons are a good tyre for cold wet (non-icy) tarmac but I prefer the Continental Grand Prix GT's. Been using them the last 2 winters and find them more comfortable than the 4-seasons, they roll better and they seem as robust too so a win win.

The answer that im looking for :).. But im confused.. Are those GP 4 Season higher or lower ranged then Gt's? Is there any advantage of 4 Season compared to Gt's?

I don't really know but having run both I just find the GT a better all round tyre. No punctures and it feels better. Looking at their website they both sit between "winter Training" and "Sportive". The GT is cheaper but even if the prices were reversed I'd still pick it over the 4-Season.

Pressure wise I run 90F/100R with 25mm in the better parts of Autumn/Winter/Spring and drop to 80F/90R when its really cold/slippy. Before anyone criticizes those pressures it works for me! Not been quick to jump on the 25mm bandwagon and still use 23mm (17C rims) in the summer but I'll admit 25mm (on 15C rims) does offer more grip in the cold and wet nut I keep my pressures up to lower CRR and I prefer the ride. 25mm has never been about comfort for me.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

3Pio wrote:Yes, i wanted Pave CG Clincer, but i could not find them on german retailers sites where i'll order them....

Here where I buy my Vittoria Open Pavé:
http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/vitt ... 622-417473
http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/vitt ... 622-442317

(or https://www.bike24.com/p24130.html)

3Pio

by 3Pio

cmcdonnell wrote:
3Pio wrote:
cmcdonnell wrote:I wouldn't use the VIttorias as it would be a waste and they have next to no puncture protection; save them for summer. The Continental GP 4-seasons are a good tyre for cold wet (non-icy) tarmac but I prefer the Continental Grand Prix GT's. Been using them the last 2 winters and find them more comfortable than the 4-seasons, they roll better and they seem as robust too so a win win.

The answer that im looking for :).. But im confused.. Are those GP 4 Season higher or lower ranged then Gt's? Is there any advantage of 4 Season compared to Gt's?

I don't really know but having run both I just find the GT a better all round tyre. No punctures and it feels better. Looking at their website they both sit between "winter Training" and "Sportive". The GT is cheaper but even if the prices were reversed I'd still pick it over the 4-Season.

Pressure wise I run 90F/100R with 25mm in the better parts of Autumn/Winter/Spring and drop to 80F/90R when its really cold/slippy. Before anyone criticizes those pressures it works for me! Not been quick to jump on the 25mm bandwagon and still use 23mm (17C rims) in the summer but I'll admit 25mm (on 15C rims) does offer more grip in the cold and wet nut I keep my pressures up to lower CRR and I prefer the ride. 25mm has never been about comfort for me.

Thanks.I'll definetly try lower pressuress.. Seem that main difference between GT and 4Season is weight.. 4 Season seem to be lighter tire, so that convince me to order them again.

@TonyM: Thanks for the links.. Definetly will use them for next order . I checked just bike24 before ordering and bike-components.de. On bike24.de just tubular version, and not clincher.So i closed the order on bike-components.de (including new helmet Giro Synthe and Oakley JawBreaker (they gave me great price on this).But good to know where we can find them.

Is there any successor to Pave GC tires in new line up of Vittoria?

TonyM

by TonyM

Not sure what Vittoria is doing/ will do.... I have also been surprised not to see them on their webpage

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Winter tyres? 35mm Voyager Hypers.

:)
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

glepore

by glepore

Pave is discontinued, some old stock still available.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by 11.4

Depends entirely on where you are riding, the roads you're riding, your historic experiences with flats and/or traction, and where you want to be on the continuum from durable/slow to performance/pleasant.

wingguy

by wingguy

3Pio wrote:Is there any successor to Pave GC tires in new line up of Vittoria?

The Rubino Pro Speed G+ might be closest - but it's a vulcanized tyre rather than the open tubular 320tpi construction of the Pave.

Tbh it shouldn't be a problem for now though, there's plenty of Pave stock still out on the market.

3Pio

by 3Pio

wingguy wrote:
3Pio wrote:Is there any successor to Pave GC tires in new line up of Vittoria?

The Rubino Pro Speed G+ might be closest - but it's a vulcanized tyre rather than the open tubular 320tpi construction of the Pave.

Tbh it shouldn't be a problem for now though, there's plenty of Pave stock still out on the market.

When i buy a tires for the car, i know they suggest to buy as fresh produced as possible, because the tires are loosing their performances with the time. Is this not the same with the tyres for bicycles? I know it's very important how they are stored.. But as fresh as possible, less chances to be stored un properly.. So would u still buy discountinued tires which u dont have idea how they were stored in meanwhile?

glepore

by glepore

In the good old days, people actually would age tubies...sigh.

Car tires and bike tires, two different worlds load wise. Any Pave you buy will be fine, really.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

kervelo

by kervelo

Depends on the definition of winter... :D

I don't ride much on the road during the winter time any more, but I have found the Marathon Winter from Schwalbe to be the best. The weight is 920 g for a tyre (yes, two pounds). I suppose the 240 spikes have something to do with the weight. :P
http://www.schwalbe.com/en/spike-reader ... inter.html

wingguy

by wingguy

kervelo wrote:Depends on the definition of winter... :D

And also the bike...

Cool tyre, but probably wont fit in anything that the OP has previously been running 25s with :wink: