My wheel is heavy...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zalle

by zalle

Hi guys,

My 2016 Roubaix comes with Axis 1 wheels. I weighted the back wheel (complete, and it read 2022g.

Soooo...

61g skewer
240g cont tire
93g tube
355g 11-34 cassette
50g ?? round plastic protection

Does this mean that the wheel weighs 2022-61-240-93-355-50= 1223g? That's the same as a pair of light carbon wheels, isn't it? Or am I missing something?

The front wheel weighs about 880g, so I've got over 2kg in wheels... :(

I saw some cool looking 2nd hand Mavic Ksirium SL, and they weight under 1500g. Are they a better option than cheap 24mm carbon wheels that weight around 1300g, or 38mm ones that weigh around 1400g?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerector

by bikerector

Stock axis wheel, it should probably weigh that much. Heavy rim (5-600 grams) and heavy hub (4-500 grams) . Around 2kg for a stock wheelset isn't uncommon for many bikes I feel. Most are probably closer to 1800 grams but that's still not the typical 1500-1600 grams for a nicer aluminum or deeper carbon set.

Weight doesn't = quality all the time and goals of a wheel varies depending on desire.

Here's a quick mock up of how you can easily get 1200 grams on a rear wheel with an XT dis hub and Kinlin XR300 rim (if link doesn't work you'll have to set it up yourself with the parts.)
http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/cw/?step=review

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

This is better

I've done several builds with Archetypes and Bitex hubs from BHS.

Rims 2 x 470 = 940
Hubs superlight 79 + 210 = 289
Spokes, Lasers say 52 @ 4.5 = 234
Nipples Alloy 52 @ 0.35 = 18

940+289+234+18 = 1,481 g

Or rear 816 g, front 665 g.

A nice strong, light and reliable build of a complete set.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

nemeseri

by nemeseri

The smallest problem with that wheelset is their weight. My wife destroyed them in a little bit more than a year. Rust ate the spokes and the hub was in pretty bad shape too. You can buy anything and that will be a decent upgrade.

Multebear

by Multebear

Heavy wheels are good for training. Don't sweat it. It's good for you. You could buy some carbon racing wheels for races or for special occasions. But if it's purely for training, then keep the wheels and ride +20k km's on them until they are done.

For traning I'm rotating between 3 sets of alloy clinchers. My most robust ones are 2.120 grams for the set. I ride them with Durano plus tires and tube protector to avoid flats during the winter season. It's hard to push the bike above 35 kph, but it's good training. I've build the wheels with Mavic A119 rims and Miche Primato Syntesi hubs. Both hubs and rims are impossible to kill, and can handle lots of abuse.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Multebear wrote:Heavy wheels are good for training. Don't sweat it. It's good for you. You could buy some carbon racing wheels for races or for special occasions. But if it's purely for training, then keep the wheels and ride +20k km's on them until they are done.

For traning I'm rotating between 3 sets of alloy clinchers. My most robust ones are 2.120 grams for the set. I ride them with Durano plus tires and tube protector to avoid flats during the winter season. It's hard to push the bike above 35 kph, but it's good training. I've build the wheels with Mavic A119 rims and Miche Primato Syntesi hubs. Both hubs and rims are impossible to kill, and can handle lots of abuse.

Upgrading to a better set will make riding the bike more enjoyable. Personally I don't need heavy/bad equipment to make my training harder. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with well built robust wheels, but the stock axis wheels are seriously bad. I mean worlds apart from an Shimano RS11 that you can buy online for like $150.

Multebear

by Multebear

I have 5 wheelsets for my road bikes. Two carbon clinchers and three alloy clinchers. I can't say, that I feel the ride particularly more enjoyable with the carbons. They are faster, for sure, but more enjoyable? Not sure about that. Just a little different.
Last edited by Multebear on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

well I am a wheel whore. I have built myself maybe 20 sets from 1000g wheels to wheels nearly 2kg in weight. i enjoy riding them all. There is more to wheelset performance and enjoyment than weight. I enjoy riding and am possibly quicker on my 1650g (bare wheels) carbon clinchers with tubeless tyres than my 1000g carbon tubulars. However I enjoy riding all of the wheels because I love riding my bikes.

So buying a set of Mavic Kyrusims 2nd hand is the last thing I would do. i dont think they are very good and 2nd hand wheels are a lottery

zalle

by zalle

Hi guys, thanks for your answers.
I know I would train better with heavier wheels, problem is, my friends are all faster than me, especially uphill (I should lose some weight myself, ideally 10kg haha), so, if I want to ride with them, I must be faster uphill, or I'll end up training alone, which is no good. Going straight or downwards I'm good enough.

I'm not a pro, but I think I would benefit from lighter wheels. My budget is not high, but I would like to get light wheels. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks

Multebear

by Multebear

Way cheaper to loose 10 kg's. Less money for food, and you can keep your wheels. But if you insist on buying new wheels, then remember that aero 9 out of 10 times is faster than light. I'm very satisfied with my Farsports carbon clinchers. I bought rims, and laced one set to WI T11 hubs and one set to CK R45 ceramic hubs, both with DT aerolite spokes. They sell ready wheels as well. They have different hub options, Ed hubs, Novatec, Dt Swiss 240s and WI T11. I've never felt the need to ride name brand wheels. I'm plenty fast with my Farsports.

mattr

by mattr

Training on heavy wheels won't make you faster. You'll just go slower for the same power.
But, training on heavy wheels will let you do more riding, as long as they are strong as well.

Crashing through potholes on a rainy november night won't break them, so you can carry on riding........

Lots of heavy wheels aren't particularly strong, unfortunately.

Multebear

by Multebear

mattr wrote:Training on heavy wheels won't make you faster. You'll just go slower for the same power.
But, training on heavy wheels will let you do more riding, as long as they are strong as well.

Crashing through potholes on a rainy november night won't break them, so you can carry on riding........

Lots of heavy wheels aren't particularly strong, unfortunately.

True, if you're training alone, heavier wheels won't be a benefit for your training, unless you ride the same distance as you would do with lighter wheels. Makes you burn more calories.

I'm always training with the same guys. And if I put on some heavier wheels, I need to push more, to stay on the wheel, which will be better training. But when I'm on the front, I'll probably just go slower.

zalle

by zalle

What's your opinion on the Fulcrum Racing 1? I might be able to buy a bike with these fitted for a good price (and then sell it off with my old wheels...

jacoues

by jacoues

With regards to a decent cheap wheel upgrade, I bought some novatec jetfly wheels in June and I am very happy with them so far. They came in at 1440g for the pair with rim tape but without skewers. They have a little bit of depth and width which makes them comfy, fast and good-handling. They're not as wide as the archetypes although a little deeper. I had to replace the bearings on the back because I rode through three rivers in a day (my bad..) which I did myself and they work fine. I was looking at other alternatives such as Ultegra or mavic wheels and I chose these because everything is replaceable easily (Sapim laser spokes, standard cartridge bearings, alloy nipples). And you can find them between 300 and 400 pounds in the uk. I will probably stick some archetype rims or carbon rims on the hubs when they wear out.

Compared to the mavic aksium they replace, the bike feels a lot lighter to handle, and my overall speed has improved uphill as well as on the flats.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

moonoi

by moonoi

+1 on Novatec wheels being a good cheap upgrade, others to consider are Novatec Impulse or Sprint.

Personally I think the Impulse is the best compromise between price, weight and durability for an off the shelf wheelset.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com