Canyon Stem Length Ridiculousness...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeffy

by jeffy

yes they do, albeit with hassle. and nobody is forcing you to use the integrated bar/stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

TheDarkInstall wrote:Canyon lock you into a fixed size on their proprietary integrated bar-stem combo, and a size which is very short. I may have mentioned this fact already in the thread.

But they don't. That fact has been mentioned already in this thread.

wingguy wrote:You mean, a correct bike fit involves choosing the right stem length for your height, proportions, and best riding position.... it's not just about altering your position to ride the longest stem physically possible?

I completely agree with you. Canyon don't cater for this though, which as mentioned about 90 times now, is the manifestation of the problem.

It's been mentioned about 90 times that Canyon do cater for this. So all you have left is you ranting about how your suuuuch a better rider than everyone else who buy a Canyon because you use a longer stem than standard.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

jeffy wrote:yes they do, albeit with hassle. and nobody is forcing you to use the integrated bar/stem.

Indeed they are not forcing anyone to use it. They are forcing you to buy it though, as the complete bikes and frame sets both come with this stem/bar.

wingguy wrote: So all you have left is you ranting about how your suuuuch a better rider than everyone else who buy a Canyon because you use a longer stem than standard.

Where in all of this have I said such a thing? I haven't said a single word about my riding. You are both imagining things and contradicting yourself.

corky

by corky

It's a stem, not a fertility symbol

wingguy

by wingguy

TheDarkInstall wrote:Where in all of this have I said such a thing? I haven't said a single word about my riding. You are both imagining things and contradicting yourself.

A) How am I contradicting myself?

B) This whole thread is simply an excuse for you to masturbate in public over how Pro your riding position is.

jeffy

by jeffy

TheDarkInstall wrote:
Where in all of this have I said such a thing?

It's like, you know ... the implication.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

I really love long (130-140) mm stems, as, they make the handling more predictable and more surefooted. Not to mention, that, with a 6-7degree stem, you actually get a higher riding position with longer stems, and stretches out your back, you won't feel yourself "kicked in the tummy".

And one must also keep in mind, that modern compact bars have very-very short reach compared to old ones (80-70mm reach, as opposed to 110-100mm in the old days)

so, long stems are definitely favored by me.

There is nothing wrong with short stem-handlebar combos, as long as I can opt for something what is more ideal for me.

Unfortunately, canyon uses 1.25 " clamp for their stems, making it kind of difficult to buy aftermarket stems cheap. :(
:(

xena
Banned

by xena

wingguy wrote:
xena wrote:90 mm combo is ridiculous. I can rode all day easy with a 120\130\140 slammed stem. When your fit you have the ability to adapt easy

I'm sure everyone is very impressed at how much fitter you are than Joaquim Rodriguez and Nairo Quintana.

Well done you! :thumbup:

:lol: no relevance whatsoever to anything I said :lol:

"I can rode all day easy with a 120\130\140 slammed stem. When your fit you have the ability to adapt easy"
That's a fact . You have seen my bikes. -17 degree 130 and a -10 ,130. Custom combo's
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

wingguy

by wingguy

xena wrote:
wingguy wrote:
xena wrote:90 mm combo is ridiculous. I can rode all day easy with a 120\130\140 slammed stem. When your fit you have the ability to adapt easy

I'm sure everyone is very impressed at how much fitter you are than Joaquim Rodriguez and Nairo Quintana.

Yeah it does. Neither J-Rod or Quintana hve adapted to rding a 120+ stem, so you must be much fitter than either of them!

Unless, just maybe, riding the longest stem possible isn't the aim of a good bike fit...

xena
Banned

by xena

wingguy wrote:
xena wrote:
wingguy wrote:

Yeah it does. Neither J-Rod or Quintana hve adapted to rding a 120+ stem, so you must be much fitter than either of them!

Unless, just maybe, riding the longest stem possible isn't the aim of a good bike fit...
your words not mine. I never said .

Or maybe just a lot taller with a completely different physique and set my bikes up that suit me best. :lol:
like I said what a ridiculous post, getting desperate wingedguy :lol:

wingguy

by wingguy

xena wrote:Or maybe just a lot taller with a completely different physique and set my bikes up that suit me best.

Maybe. But then - that makes your assertion that a 90mm combo is ridiculous, for a person much shorter than you, an incredibly stupid comment to make, doesn't it?

And the fact that you can ride all day on a 120+ is completely irrelevant to the fit of a much shorter person on a smaller frame?

And it's not that you are "in much better shape" it's just that you are a different shape?

And so you only came into this thread for the purposes of mutual masturbation with Mr Dark over how OMG-Pro your positions are?

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

wingguy wrote:
TheDarkInstall wrote:Where in all of this have I said such a thing? I haven't said a single word about my riding. You are both imagining things and contradicting yourself.

A) How am I contradicting myself?

B) This whole thread is simply an excuse for you to masturbate in public over how Pro your riding position is.

1. You are contradicting yourself by correctly pointing out that people need different stem lengths, but then refusing to acknowledge that not offering different stem lengths is ridiculous.

2. This thread is absolutely not about that. You are trying to assert that it is, in order to twist this into an ad hominem argument, because that is the only way you know how to debate a point.

wingguy

by wingguy

TheDarkInstall wrote:1. You are contradicting yourself by correctly pointing out that people need different stem lengths, but then refusing to acknowledge that not offering different stem lengths is ridiculous.

Every person who has contributed to this thread who has actually bought a Canyon has stated that Canyon do offer different stem lengths. You are refusing to acknowledge them for the ridiculous reason of perpetuating this thread so you can keep bragging about how long your stem is.

2. This thread is absolutely not about that.

Then how come from the very first post you were comparing yourself to Canyon's pro riders? How come, even after you were told multiple times that you could in fact get the stem length you wanted, you were going to the trouble of writing fake emails taking the piss out of anyone riding a shorter stem than you?

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Go in the Canyon chat, and ask one of their representatives if you can change the stem-bars. They will say no. This is therefore the official company line, or if they do actually allow you to do that, communications in the company are messed up.

My first post contains no 'boasting' about stem length or comparing myself to pros. Your interpretation is basic at best, and imaginary at worst.

Further then; Canyon recommend their small frame set for people between 172 and 178cm in height. A 90mm stem with a 70mm reach bar for a 178cm tall person?!!!! No chance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xena
Banned

by xena

wingguy wrote:
xena wrote:Or maybe just a lot taller with a completely different physique and set my bikes up that suit me best.

Maybe. But then - that makes your assertion that a 90mm combo is ridiculous, for a person much shorter than you, an incredibly stupid comment to make, doesn't it?

And the fact that you can ride all day on a 120+ is completely irrelevant to the fit of a much shorter person on a smaller frame?

And it's not that you are "in much better shape" it's just that you are a different shape?

And so you only came into this thread for the purposes of mutual masturbation with Mr Dark over how OMG-Pro your positions are?

I never mentioned short people you did. Most of us, the general population riding a 90mm stem is a joke and that backs up the point TheDarkInstall is making . How many riders in the pro peloton use a 90mm stem?
Truth bomb right there even Purito used to ride a 100mm stem and Quintana had a 120 or maybe it was a 125mm stem on his Pina. Go check if you don't believe me " you usually don't " I don't need to check, I just know my stuff.

if your like me and touching 6 feet and your riding a 90mm stem then like I said " just put some wheels on your sofa" because you are outta of shape. You may use a spacer or 2 like Lance
or turn your stem upside down if you have a hip problem like Landis are they pros ? YES [ truth bomb no 2]
but 90mm :lol:

I ride in the position that works for me. Simple as that.