Canyon Stem Length Ridiculousness...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I'm fit and I ride a 130mm stem on a 52 frame, but if I saw someone on a 90mm stem, I would not instantly assume he was slower than me, it doesn't really tell me very much about him at all to be honest.

Fitness is far more than how long your stem is, although I'd agree that more experienced riders TEND to ride longer stems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xena
Banned

by xena

Raccooningtanuki wrote:
xena wrote::
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
xena wrote:
wingguy wrote:You said that you were 'a lot taller'. Who are you 'a lot taller' than, if not someone who is short? :noidea:

Once again, on his Canyon Quintana rides a 100. It's not exactly unreasonable for Canyon to assume that many similar sized amateur riders would use a slightly shorter stem than one of the world's top pros.

People like you, touching 6 feet, have absolutely *f##k* all to do with the subject of this thread. You are nowhere close to riding the sizes of bike that Canyon supplies with a 90mm stem.

So once again, there is absolutely no point to your involvement in this thread apart from chest beating about how awesome your riding position is and how much better you are than anyone who uses a shorter stem.

No one is chest beating wingguy.
You get yourself so worked up. I agree with the OP simple as that. Your the only one going on about my " pro position" I have not used the word's "pro position". Your the only one doing that.

90mm stem is crazy for the majority of riders , like the majority of the pro peloton and you seemed to have missed the point that both riders you mentioned used to ride longer stems, in Quintana's case 125mm . This backs up the exact point the Darkinstall is making . Show me all those pro riders on 90mm stems ? how many ? now show me how many pro riders using 120 and over? most of the peloton.
Apply that to the general public how many short people are going to ride a 90mm stem? a very tiny amount.
TheDarkinstall is 100% correct .

Also I did not create any sock puppet so before you go shooting your mouth off making innuendos "get your facts right"

90-110 is not crazy in many cases.

"I can rode all day easy with a 120\130\140 slammed stem. When your fit you have the ability to adapt easy" is chest beating enough.

If it came across that way then it was not meant to. It was making the point that if your fit then riding a 90mm stem is bonkers. This is a cycling forum I'm sure there are plenty of fit riders on here and I bet none or hardly any ride a 90mm stem even wingguy rides a 120mm stem :lol:
It was for the benefit of the point. If I wanted to chest beat I would just post a photo of my physique that would do it I assure you. Is that chest beating or point making ? mmmm not sure. Don't care.

Its more about how ridiculous riding a 90mm stem is unless your height deprived. Even Quintana was using a 125mm stem , go figure and now 90mm. That backs up the darkinstall's point IMO

if you want a photo PM me :lol:

I'm fit and it's not bonkers. If I was riding a 54cm top tube bike with a shorter head tube, 90 or 100 might be nice.

I have no idea how fit you are, if you say your fit then I believe you [I don't know you :lol:]
Go ahead and try a 90 mm stem I'm not stopping you. Lets us know how you get on.
For me I would be way to hunched up and uncomfortable but each to their own.
I bet if Chris Froome used a 50mm stem you would have countless weekend warriors copy him and sales of 50mm stems would rocket i.e. that's why Puirto and Quintana are now using stems in a length they never had before because they signed the dotted line. I mean who go's from a 125mm to a 90mm .
That's a huge difference. Money /business wins the day always.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

kulivontot

by kulivontot

What a stupid thread. Op buy the bike yet? No? Then what are we even arguing about?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I ride my wife bikes once.. 50.x TT w/ 60mm stem. I set PRs on some climbs with that.. but my back hurt after 40 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

wingguy

by wingguy

xena wrote:I agree with the OP simple as that.

Yeah, you agree with him about how anyone that uses a shorter stem isn't as fit or as good at riding a bike as you are.

Which is obvious nonsense, especially since you claim to be 6ft tall and this thread is about the stem length specced on size S bikes.

90mm stem is crazy for the majority of riders , like the majority of the pro peloton and you seemed to have missed the point that both riders you mentioned used to ride longer stems, in Quintana's case 125mm . This backs up the exact point the Darkinstall is making .

Except both of those riders now use much shorter stems. Probably because they found out it actually works better for them than trying to 'adapt' to a longer stem.

Show me all those pro riders on 90mm stems ? how many ? now show me how many pro riders using 120 and over? most of the peloton.
Apply that to the general public how many short people are going to ride a 90mm stem? a very tiny amount.

So if you're not talking about pro positions why are you so obsessed with pro positions?

And why should we apply the trend within the pro peloton to the general public? The general pubic aren't pros.

wingguy

by wingguy

xena wrote: It was making the point that if your fit then riding a 90mm stem is bonkers. This is a cycling forum I'm sure there are plenty of fit riders on here and I bet none or hardly any ride a 90mm

I bet loads do. Lots of people ride 90mm stems on small sized high end bikes. It's been made clear that Canyon will swap the bar/stem combo for their customers. You think they'd keep specing them with 90s if 'none or hardly any' of their customers were keeping them? Get real, those guys didn't get where they are now by being that stupid.

Its more about how ridiculous riding a 90mm stem is unless your height deprived.

Once again, this thread is about small bikes. So yeah, we actually are talking about riding positions for the height deprived!

Even Quintana was using a 125mm stem , go figure and now 90mm.

He was, now he rides a 100. 100 vs 90 for a pro vs an average amateur? Yeah, sounds about right. Go figure indeed :roll:

Go ahead and try a 90 mm stem I'm not stopping you. Lets us know how you get on.

And you are much taller than the people this thread is about, therefore the way you achieve your position is entirely irrelevant. This is a really simple concept, and I'm frankly gobsmacked by your inability to comprehend it.

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

xena wrote:
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
xena wrote:
You get yourself so worked up. I agree with the OP simple as that. Your the only one going on about my " pro position" I have not used the word's "pro position". Your the only one doing that.

90mm stem is crazy for the majority of riders , like the majority of the pro peloton and you seemed to have missed the point that both riders you mentioned used to ride longer stems, in Quintana's case 125mm . This backs up the exact point the Darkinstall is making . Show me all those pro riders on 90mm stems ? how many ? now show me how many pro riders using 120 and over? most of the peloton.

Also I did not create any sock puppet so before you go shooting your mouth off making innuendos "get your facts right"

"I can rode all day easy with a 120\130\140 slammed stem. When your fit you have the ability to adapt easy" is chest beating enough.

If it came across that way then it was not meant to. It was making the point that if your fit then riding a 90mm stem is bonkers. This is a cycling forum I'm sure there are plenty of fit riders on here and I bet none or hardly any ride a 90mm stem even wingguy rides a 120mm stem :lol:
It was for the benefit of the point. If I wanted to chest beat I would just post a photo of my physique that would do it I assure you. Is that chest beating or point making ? mmmm not sure. Don't care.

Its more about how ridiculous riding a 90mm stem is unless your height deprived. Even Quintana was using a 125mm stem , go figure and now 90mm. That backs up the darkinstall's point IMO

if you want a photo PM me :lol:

I'm fit and it's not bonkers. If I was riding a 54cm top tube bike with a shorter head tube, 90 or 100 might be nice.

I have no idea how fit you are, if you say your fit then I believe you [I don't know you :lol:]
I bet if Chris Froome used a 50mm stem you would have countless weekend warriors copy him and sales of 50mm stems would rocket i.e. that's why Puirto and Quintana are now using stems in a length they never had before because they signed the dotted line. I mean who go's from a 125mm to a 90mm .

I'm 176cm tall and my training bike came with a -/+17 100 stem and a 50 cm top tube. My propel with a 525 top tube would probably be fine with the 90mm stem if the head tube were shorter. Cramped is the overall fit of your bike. 55 top tube versus a 51 will make up the difference between 90 and 130 stem.
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

cdtf

by cdtf

xena wrote:
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
xena wrote:

If it came across that way then it was not meant to. It was making the point that if your fit then riding a 90mm stem is bonkers. This is a cycling forum I'm sure there are plenty of fit riders on here and I bet none or hardly any ride a 90mm stem even wingguy rides a 120mm stem [emoji38]

if you want a photo PM me [emoji38]

I have no idea how fit you are, if you say your fit then I believe you [I don't know you [emoji38]]

I'm 174 cm and ride a Ridley S frame with a 90 stem, and am probably fitter than you, thank you very much.

You are now probably gonna say that you are a greater athlete than me because you wear shoes in 46 while I'm only a 40.

Plus your helmet is a large, so you definitely are a pro.

Xena, you have some amazing builds here on this website, but in this thread you sound like a bragging idiot.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Perusing the canyon site .. many pics of their bikes are pictured with what looks like short stem. With hands on the hoods that puts you hands right over the front axle hub. I have no idea if that is optimal?

I'd be on a 2xs or xs canyon with my short legs.. I think I would need a longer stem then 90 on a canyon as well. Mute point since they need to get in the USA first for me to buy.

I'm one of those guys with a 90mm stem.. my hood / hand placement is well in front of the front hub. I've tried 130mm before and the steering was too slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

jeffy

by jeffy

i am 5'4" and used to ride a 50cm endurance frame with 90mm stem under ~40mm of spacers.

This thread has convinced me to order a custom T1100 Toray frame, I have specced it at 578mm stack and 348mm reach.
I will be able to use a 130mm slammed stem. So PRO and manly!
Honestly i should buy some team kit, local riders will mistake me for a WT pro with my slammed, long stem.
.... and you know all the ladies will love me.

xena
Banned

by xena

cdtf wrote:
xena wrote:
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Raccooningtanuki wrote:90-110 is not crazy in many cases.

If it came across that way then it was not meant to. It was making the point that if your fit then riding a 90mm stem is bonkers. This is a cycling forum I'm sure there are plenty of fit riders on here and I bet none or hardly any ride a 90mm stem even wingguy rides a 120mm stem

if you want a photo PM me

I have no idea how fit you are, if you say your fit then I believe you [I don't know you ]

I'm 174 cm and ride a Ridley S frame with a 90 stem, and am probably fitter than you, thank you very much.

You are now probably gonna say that you are a greater athlete than me because you wear shoes in 46 while I'm only a 40.

Plus your helmet is a large, so you definitely are a pro.

Xena, you have some amazing builds here on this website, but in this thread you sound like a bragging idiot.

I have not bragged once . If you take it that way that's not my fault. For all I know you could be Alberto Contador. Come on , my points were totally related to the stem debate.
You have just claimed to be fitter than me "am probably fitter than you, thank you very much" :lol: You may will be and I congratulate you on your well being " don't do drugs " [joke]
its a well known fact that I am the 3rd fittest man in the world
1st wingguy
2nd is you
3rd Xena

I just agree with darkinstall that's all.
Thanks for your comments on my builds much appreciated :thumbup: I have a new bike in the pipeline for next year maybe another before 2017 is out.

By the way how much can ya bench for ten reps :lol: [ joke ]

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Raccooningtanuki wrote:It's not a thing over here in Japan.

What do you mean? The whole country doesn't acknowledge stem length?

Tell me more about the riding scene in Japan.

xena
Banned

by xena

wingguy , here's me just before setting off for a ride

wingguy

by wingguy

xena wrote:You have just claimed to be fitter than me "am probably fitter than you, thank you very much" :lol: You may will be and I congratulate you on your well being " don't do drugs " [joke]

You've changed your tune. Earlier in this thread you claimed to be fitter than him, in much better shape than him, and said he was making excuses for his lack of fitness. All because he uses a 90mm stem :roll:

I just agree with darkinstall that's all.

Yeah, you agree with him that you two are awesome because you use long stems, and anyone who uses 90mm stems is rubbish. :noidea:

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

TheDarkInstall wrote:
Raccooningtanuki wrote:It's not a thing over here in Japan.

What do you mean? The whole country doesn't acknowledge stem length?

Tell me more about the riding scene in Japan.

SRAM has little presence. There was a campy and of course shimano booth at the last race though. In terms of road cyclists there's lots. The prefecture I'm in is pretty popular for it. Slammed stems much less long stems are rare though. Even the school's team's captain and the guy who built a frame from scratch run around 100.
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com