Canyon Stem Length Ridiculousness...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Just been looking at the Canyon site, at framesets.

Was looking at the Aeroad and Ultimate...

The stems they spec with these are hilariously short. I spoke to the Live Chat guy and asked if they could swap the specced stem/bar combo for a longer one (I was considering a Small frameset with a 120 stem), and was told they can't do this... What the actual F.

Who rides a 90mm stem on a serious racing machine? LOL!! Surely this is not what everyone who has bought these bikes with stem/bar combos is now riding, especially after we all collectively came to the conclusion through proper bike fitting and improved general knowledge that riding with a stumpy little stem is shite for handling and far from optimum. Katusha have some of their riders on 120-130mm version of the AeroCockpit CF...

So why does Canyon force a certain stem length on the customer, especially when the stem is part of a stem/bar combo, and integral to the whole frameset package, on these so-called pro-level rigs?

Really poor to not give the option to choose the stem length and bar width.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rudi

by Rudi

I'm sure I've seen in the past other posts suggesting you can specify at the time of order. That may have changed, or the live chat guy/bot might not know that.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Given that Canyon do dirt cheap (for what it is) direct from the warehouse bikes what do you expect?

It's a very good business model but given that they can't keep up with demand I'm not surprised that they're inflexible. Much easier for them to build everything to spec rather than adjust to customer preference and complicate their QC.

Sorry, probably not the sympathy you were hoping for! :lol:

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Haha, yeah I fully appreciate the business model. Doesn't stop it from being lame though, eh.

icenutter

by icenutter

In the past you could swap. Dunno about now though. I just went with the default length on my Ultimate SLX and that turned out to be just fine for me.

corky

by corky

icenutter wrote:In the past you could swap. Dunno about now though. I just went with the default length on my Ultimate SLX and that turned out to be just fine for me.

You mean to tell us they got the design right?.....surely not

basurper

by basurper

Did you purchase the factory outlet item? If yes, then yes you cannot ask to change the stem.

But you can sell me the 90-390 stem-bar combo if the price is right [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

junchen

by junchen

U could perhaps get the default 90mm combo and separately request your desired length. And sell the 90mm combo where there's tons of demand.

Nothing to really fuss about ;)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TheDarkInstall wrote:Just been looking at the Canyon site, at framesets.

Was looking at the Aeroad and Ultimate...

The stems they spec with these are hilariously short. I spoke to the Live Chat guy and asked if they could swap the specced stem/bar combo for a longer one (I was considering a Small frameset with a 120 stem), and was told they can't do this... What the actual F.

Who rides a 90mm stem on a serious racing machine? LOL!! Surely this is not what everyone who has bought these bikes with stem/bar combos is now riding, especially after we all collectively came to the conclusion through proper bike fitting and improved general knowledge that riding with a stumpy little stem is shite for handling and far from optimum. Katusha have some of their riders on 120-130mm version of the AeroCockpit CF...

So why does Canyon force a certain stem length on the customer, especially when the stem is part of a stem/bar combo, and integral to the whole frameset package, on these so-called pro-level rigs?

Really poor to not give the option to choose the stem length and bar width.

Did you check the reach of the handlebar?
Maybe it's very long?

I also wonder if the build these frame with longer reach so they expect people to not buy a small frame, but rather the longer version frame?
I guess they "might" have some idea of handling characteristics?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

The Aeroad definitely has longer reach than many other aero bikes of "similar size" and to a degree it seems that Canyon is compensating by shorter stems.
However, Scott, for instance, doesn't specify the integrated bar for the Foil with long stems either, and you can't easily swap those as well.

The handlebar real reach is tough to measure unless you happen to own the item (or the bar was included in FWB handlebar review :D)
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

TheDarkInstall wrote:especially after we all collectively came to the conclusion through proper bike fitting and improved general knowledge that riding with a stumpy little stem is shite for handling and far from optimum. Katusha have some of their riders on 120-130mm version of the AeroCockpit CF...

who's "we" and when did that conclusion arrive?

rasmusic

by rasmusic

When I bought my large Aeroad less than one year ago they let me change from 110 mm stem du 130 mm stem, so that must be a brand new policy, or a live chat guy with no clue.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

The Aeroad definitely has longer reach than many other aero bikes of "similar size" and to a degree it seems that Canyon is compensating by shorter stems.
However, Scott, for instance, doesn't specify the integrated bar for the Foil with long stems either, and you can't easily swap those as well.

The handlebar real reach is tough to measure unless you happen to own the item (or the bar was included in FWB handlebar review :D)
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

kkibbler

by kkibbler

junchen wrote:And sell the 90mm combo where there's tons of demand.

For real? That's good to know. I'll have a set to let go in January.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I run the 90/39. I like it actually.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault