Canyon Stem Length Ridiculousness...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

corky

by corky

Canyon don't sell a lot of bikes/frames to a lot of pros......

A pro's needs are a long way from most who knock out 100k at the weekend.

An aside...... Markus Storck is a proponent of 90-110mm stems on his bikes.....maybe it's a German thing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

corky wrote:Canyon don't sell a lot of bikes/frames to a lot of pros......

An aside...... Markus Storck is a proponent of 90-110mm stems on his bikes.....maybe it's a German thing?

Are you saying that only a professional would need a stem longer than 110mm?

I don't know anyone who rides with anything shorter than that, apart from one woman who is on a 44cm frame and is recovering from a herniated disc.

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

TheDarkInstall wrote:
corky wrote:Canyon don't sell a lot of bikes/frames to a lot of pros......

Are you saying that only a professional would need a stem longer than 110mm?

I don't know anyone who rides with anything shorter than that, apart from one woman who is on a 44cm frame and is recovering from a herniated disc.

It's not a thing over here in Japan. Stem length alone doesn't make a difference. Most pros are taller guys meaning there bikes have a longer head tube. Need a lot more drop on a stem to get rid of twitchy handling on a longer head tube. Or if they choose a smaller frame with a shorter head tube they need a longer stem to eqivalate their standard size. My first road bike had a 100mm stem with a 100mm 17 degree stem about equal to a 90 degree straight straight stem. It was pretty neutral compared to the propel with a longer head tube and a 6 degree 90mm stem... With a bunch of spacers when I got it too. Then there's the tt bike which at 50cm top tube for someone who's 176cm I need a 130mm stem just so I don't hit my knees out of the saddle.
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

wingguy

by wingguy

xena wrote:I never mentioned short people you did.

You said that you were 'a lot taller'. Who are you 'a lot taller' than, if not someone who is short? :noidea:

Truth bomb right there even Purito used to ride a 100mm stem and Quintana had a 120 or maybe it was a 125mm stem on his Pina.

Once again, on his Canyon Quintana rides a 100. It's not exactly unreasonable for Canyon to assume that many similar sized amateur riders would use a slightly shorter stem than one of the world's top pros.

if your like me and touching 6 feet...

People like you, touching 6 feet, have absolutely *f##k* all to do with the subject of this thread. You are nowhere close to riding the sizes of bike that Canyon supplies with a 90mm stem.

So once again, there is absolutely no point to your involvement in this thread apart from chest beating about how awesome your riding position is and how much better you are than anyone who uses a shorter stem.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

wingguy wrote:Once again, on his Canyon Quintana rides a 100. It's not exactly unreasonable for Canyon to assume that many similar sized amateur riders would use a slightly shorter stem than one of the world's top pros.

So once again, there is absolutely no point to your involvement in this thread apart from chest beating about how awesome your riding position is and how much better you are than anyone who uses a shorter stem.

You seem to have this idea that the longer the stem, the more pro a person is, and that anyone who rides a longer stem and mentions it, is somehow boasting about it. Very odd and simplistic, especially given how sincerely angry you are getting about it all. Seriously, please do let me know if you are suffering with some kind of mental issue that is causing this; I would hate to be unknowingly ribbing someone dealing with a psychological issue.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Those who need a higher stack frame, may need to use the larger size frame.
This will in most cases force us to use a shorter stem.
That is, if we don't buy a custom made frame.
Honestly happy to see Merckx now release some frames in both pro and endurance geo.
Sadly a bit too late for me.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

TheDarkInstall wrote:
wingguy wrote:Once again, on his Canyon Quintana rides a 100. It's not exactly unreasonable for Canyon to assume that many similar sized amateur riders would use a slightly shorter stem than one of the world's top pros.

You seem to have this idea that the longer the stem, the more pro a person is, and that anyone who rides a longer stem and mentions it, is somehow boasting about it. Very odd and simplistic, especially given how sincerely angry you are getting about it all. Seriously, please do let me know if you are suffering with some kind of mental issue that is causing this; I would hate to be unknowingly ribbing someone dealing with a psychological issue.

You'd be complaining about frame size rather than stem length if it wasn't your ego speaking. Xena was just encouraging you there. :lol:

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Raccooningtanuki wrote:You'd be complaining about frame size rather than stem length if it wasn't your ego speaking. Xena was just encouraging you there. :lol:

What do you mean?

wingguy

by wingguy

TheDarkInstall wrote:You seem to have this idea that the longer the stem, the more pro a person is, and that anyone who rides a longer stem and mentions it, is somehow boasting about it. Very odd and simplistic,

Dude, it's your idea. In your first post you stated that Canyon should spec a longer stem because it's a 'PRO level bike', and since then you've consistently stated that if people need a shorter stem it's because they're fat and unfit. So yes it is odd, and it is simplistic, and it's truly bizarre that you can recognise that and yet still keep saying it.

and no, just mentioning that you ride a longer stem isn't boasting - it's all the other stuff you've said about people who ride shorter stems that makes it boasting. Like, you do realise that all of your posts are still available in black and white for people to read, right?

especially given how sincerely angry you are getting about it all. Seriously, please do let me know if you are suffering with some kind of mental issue that is causing this; I would hate to be unknowingly ribbing someone dealing with a psychological issue.

It's truly hilarious that you're taking this soooo seriously that you'd stoop to that kind of juvenile level. Are you Xena's little brother? Or maybe just a sockpuppet he used to get round his ban. :lol:

Again, everyone in this thread who has bought a canyon has told you that there is a way to get what you want. You'd think that would make you happy, instead you just seem to be getting angrier and angrier :noidea:

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

TheDarkInstall wrote:
Raccooningtanuki wrote:You'd be complaining about frame size rather than stem length if it wasn't your ego speaking. Xena was just encouraging you there. :lol:

What do you mean?

There's your seat, the frame, and the stem. If the stem was your last option to adjust the fit it would be different. Stock stem options aren't the end of the world either and I've put up with the stupid 1.25 steerer as well.

xena
Banned

by xena

wingguy wrote:

You said that you were 'a lot taller'. Who are you 'a lot taller' than, if not someone who is short? :noidea:

Truth bomb right there even Purito used to ride a 100mm stem and Quintana had a 120 or maybe it was a 125mm stem on his Pina.

Once again, on his Canyon Quintana rides a 100. It's not exactly unreasonable for Canyon to assume that many similar sized amateur riders would use a slightly shorter stem than one of the world's top pros.

People like you, touching 6 feet, have absolutely *f##k* all to do with the subject of this thread. You are nowhere close to riding the sizes of bike that Canyon supplies with a 90mm stem.

No one is chest beating wingguy.
You get yourself so worked up. I agree with the OP simple as that. Your the only one going on about my " pro position" I have not used the word's "pro position". Your the only one doing that.

90mm stem is crazy for the majority of riders , like the majority of the pro peloton and you seemed to have missed the point that both riders you mentioned used to ride longer stems, in Quintana's case 125mm . This backs up the exact point the Darkinstall is making . Show me all those pro riders on 90mm stems ? how many ? now show me how many pro riders using 120 and over? most of the peloton.
Apply that to the general public how many short people are going to ride a 90mm stem? a very tiny amount.
TheDarkinstall is 100% correct .

Also I did not create any sock puppet so before you go shooting your mouth off making innuendos "get your facts right"
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

sawyer

by sawyer

LOL at this thread. Yes it's anything but subtle, but something tells me we're not really talking about bicycle stems here? :lol:

The bikes I've bought from Canyon have been spec'd with the stem length I chose - not the stock offering. Though they should make 140mms
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

xena wrote:
wingguy wrote:

You get yourself so worked up. I agree with the OP simple as that. Your the only one going on about my " pro position" I have not used the word's "pro position". Your the only one doing that.

90mm stem is crazy for the majority of riders , like the majority of the pro peloton and you seemed to have missed the point that both riders you mentioned used to ride longer stems, in Quintana's case 125mm . This backs up the exact point the Darkinstall is making . Show me all those pro riders on 90mm stems ? how many ? now show me how many pro riders using 120 and over? most of the peloton.
Apply that to the general public how many short people are going to ride a 90mm stem? a very tiny amount.

Also I did not create any sock puppet so before you go shooting your mouth off making innuendos "get your facts right"

90-110 is not crazy in many cases.

"I can rode all day easy with a 120\130\140 slammed stem. When your fit you have the ability to adapt easy" is chest beating enough.

xena
Banned

by xena

:
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
xena wrote:
wingguy wrote:

"I can rode all day easy with a 120\130\140 slammed stem. When your fit you have the ability to adapt easy" is chest beating enough.

If it came across that way then it was not meant to. It was making the point that if your fit then riding a 90mm stem is bonkers. This is a cycling forum I'm sure there are plenty of fit riders on here and I bet none or hardly any ride a 90mm stem even wingguy rides a 120mm stem :lol:
It was for the benefit of the point. If I wanted to chest beat I would just post a photo of my physique that would do it I assure you. Is that chest beating or point making ? mmmm not sure. Don't care.

Its more about how ridiculous riding a 90mm stem is unless your height deprived. Even Quintana was using a 125mm stem , go figure and now 90mm. That backs up the darkinstall's point IMO

if you want a photo PM me :lol:
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

xena wrote::
Raccooningtanuki wrote:
xena wrote:
wingguy wrote:

If it came across that way then it was not meant to. It was making the point that if your fit then riding a 90mm stem is bonkers. This is a cycling forum I'm sure there are plenty of fit riders on here and I bet none or hardly any ride a 90mm stem even wingguy rides a 120mm stem :lol:
It was for the benefit of the point. If I wanted to chest beat I would just post a photo of my physique that would do it I assure you. Is that chest beating or point making ? mmmm not sure. Don't care.

Its more about how ridiculous riding a 90mm stem is unless your height deprived. Even Quintana was using a 125mm stem , go figure and now 90mm. That backs up the darkinstall's point IMO

if you want a photo PM me :lol:

I'm fit and it's not bonkers. If I was riding a 54cm top tube bike with a shorter head tube, 90 or 100 might be nice.