Fenders for Aero Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wormiez

by Wormiez

Hello, I am converting my summer road bike into a winter/rain bike and I am having trouble in finding which full fender fits.

I've tried installing a set of SKS Bluemels but they won't slide in between the tire and caliper.

To give you an idea of the tolerances I am running Dura-Ace 9000 Calipers with 700x25" Gatorskins

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

prototoast

by prototoast

I've installed Crud Roadracer Mk2 fenders on an aero bike. They don't always work well with 25 tires, but they're able to mount with minimal frame/brake clearance. Every frame is a little different, so I can't make and promises, but that's where I'd start.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wormiez

by Wormiez

Thanks, I've considered Crud Fenders but I've read that they are a bit flimsy.

Was thinking about SKS Race Blades or something made out of metal.

I've inquired with Portland designs but they won't clear..

McGilli

by McGilli

Wormiez wrote:Was thinking about SKS Race Blades or something made out of metal.

Don't waste your money...

There are some other options in here...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141962

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

The new Crud Fenders MK3 are out, and they are quite an improvement on the previous ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

Wormiez

by Wormiez

Thanks! I'll look into them.

Would you happen to have a set on your bike? How is the rear clearance on the bottom seat tube and tire?

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Dont have one on my bike as yet, but have seen them on a Canyon Aeroad and they fitted no problem with 25mm tires! From what I gather they fit up to 38mm tires!

Wormiez wrote:Thanks! I'll look into them.

Would you happen to have a set on your bike? How is the rear clearance on the bottom seat tube and tire?
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

alexneumuller wrote:The new Crud Fenders MK3 are out, and they are quite an improvement on the previous ones!

Another vote for new redesigned Crud MK3 fenders http://www.crudproducts.com/roadracer-mk3

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Wormiez

by Wormiez

Thanks I have 5MM clearence, the Crud MK3 2017 model may work

Attermann

by Attermann

That Crud fender will just keep yourself dry, it is not nearly long enough to cover the rider behind you, and the back fender looks pretty unstable

my vote goes to the new race blade :)

https://www.bike-components.de/en/SKS/R ... 16-p46712/

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Attermann wrote:That Crud fender will just keep yourself dry, it is not nearly long enough to cover the rider behind you, and the back fender looks pretty unstable

No fenders are long enough to protect the rider behind you, that's why there's a product called buddyflaps http://buddyflaps.com/collection.htm

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

kervelo

by kervelo

mpulsiv wrote:
Attermann wrote:That Crud fender will just keep yourself dry, it is not nearly long enough to cover the rider behind you, and the back fender looks pretty unstable

No fenders are long enough to protect the rider behind you, that's why there's a product called buddyflaps http://buddyflaps.com/collection.htm

Actually it is quite easy to get good fenders for a road bike, just buy two sets of Crud roadracers. You can then easily mix & match the parts so that both fenders go low enough. I have not yet installed any Crud mk3's, but with the older Mk2's that worked fine.

Multebear

by Multebear

Wormiez wrote:
Hello, I am converting my summer road bike into a winter/rain bike and I am having trouble in finding which full fender fits.

What kind of frame do you have? There are so many different kinds. Some have caliper brake, direct mount, direct mount under BB, V brake and so on.... Makes a big difference regarding how it's possible to mount the fenders.

baldy

by baldy

I use Crud Racer 2's on my HED VO4 with 23/24 m tyres. The front sits a bit far off the wheel due to the depth of the front fork, but I tend to train alone on it as it isa TT bike so no problem with spraying others. I also use them on a Spec Tarmac as a winter bike. No issues with 4 winters on the same set. 23 mm tyres on this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com